quadibloc on February 27, 2011, 12:08:49 pm
I find this comic to be well written and drawn and very entertaining. It is also thought-provoking.

Oh, and there's caring and caring. One can find it annoying when people say bad things about you without considering their opinion of you to be well-founded and worthy of consideration. So using ALL CAPS in the title might mean one cared in the first way without at all implying that one cares in the second way.

Anarcho-capitalism isn't the same as Libertarianism. But they have some things in common, and so some of the same arguments apply against them. I think that the basic philosophy of Libertarianism, or of the Zero-Aggression Principle, is at least a good starting point - and that, instead of taking our current taxes and conscription government system for granted, we (that is, the non-AnCap world) should at least try to have a principled justification for our exceptions to what seems to me to be obviously sound morality.

At the same time, I think that there are at least enough pragmatic objections to AnCap that it's really unlikely to achieve the popularity it needs to happen. I love freedom, and would like to see those who also love freedom... apply their efforts in a way that gets results. Noting where the case for AnCap needs to be firmed up a bit to make it more likely to get a fair hearing... I don't think that is a destructive activity.

SandySandfort on February 27, 2011, 01:35:25 pm
I find this comic to be well written and drawn and very entertaining. It is also thought-provoking.

Thank you, sir. You area gentleman and a scholar.

Oh, and there's caring and caring. One can find it annoying when people say bad things about you without considering their opinion of you to be well-founded and worthy of consideration. So using ALL CAPS in the title might mean one cared in the first way without at all implying that one cares in the second way.

In any case, I always use caps in my subject lines--posting and e-mails. It is a matter of style, not "caring."

Anarcho-capitalism isn't the same as Libertarianism. But they have some things in common, and so some of the same arguments apply against them. I think that the basic philosophy of Libertarianism, or of the Zero-Aggression Principle, is at least a good starting point - and that, instead of taking our current taxes and conscription government system for granted, we (that is, the non-AnCap world) should at least try to have a principled justification for our exceptions to what seems to me to be obviously sound morality.

At the same time, I think that there are at least enough pragmatic objections to AnCap that it's really unlikely to achieve the popularity it needs to happen. I love freedom, and would like to see those who also love freedom... apply their efforts in a way that gets results. Noting where the case for AnCap needs to be firmed up a bit to make it more likely to get a fair hearing... I don't think that is a destructive activity.

And that, boys and girls, is how it is done. Chaos knows Quadibloc and I often do not see eye to eye, yet he and I are mostly able to agree to disagree.

spudit on February 27, 2011, 02:00:48 pm
Let me clarify the reason for starting the bad guy thread which may have sparked this one.

I have heard a lot of holes in the philosophy mentioned on this board, some are silly, some not. If there really is a flaw which someone as smart as Lenin could exploit, lets consider how people might plug it.

I have heard lots of sniping about predictability and how of course the good guy will always win. Surprise, he will. James Bond always does. Captain Kirk may go through a ship load of security pawns but except for that one movie, twce, he always walks away. Sandy's EFT has a format, but then so did L'amour's westerns and Doyle's detective stories. Deal with it.

Does someone have a real idea about a really good bad guy, then put up or shut up. No, Sandy need not listen to the peanut gallery at all but better one(1) good concept expressed in a productive way than endless chatter about yeah but what if and it's not fair.  I think a smart bad guy would be fun but it is not my place to take over the controls.

It is Sandy's story. Fizz him off enough and he might kill everyone and start over on Triton.
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

J Thomas on February 27, 2011, 09:07:26 pm
I really love the ''All your talents belong to US'' from Holt and Watson ... thus think themselves able to give orders.

Honestly I just want to help him develop as a writer.

If that's your goal, then perhaps you might notice which of your attempts seem to do better.

When he responds defensively, there's a fair chance that he is not giving your assistance a good chance to assist him.

So maybe you can look at your results and use them to improve your skill at assisting Sandy improve his writing. I haven't noticed improvement on your part yet, but I wasn't particularly looking for it and so I might have missed it.

Bob G on February 27, 2011, 09:24:36 pm
Honestly I just want to help him develop as a writer. He actually does have a knack but he's not developing it. He's no Ellis or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but he's still a good writer, he just needs to shake the habit of writing one dimensional characters.

Yeah? What are *your* credentials for teaching writing? What have *you* had professionally published? If, as I suspect, the answer to those questions is 'nothing', then where do you get the idea *you* have anything to contribute to Sandy's 'development as a writer'?

And I'm not sure I'd hold Doyle up as an exemplar of the writer's art; there's a difference between 'popular' and 'good'.

Libertarians? You do realise those guys are actually advocates of corporate feudalism right?

Really? Since there are many flavors of libertarians, I suppose it is remotely possible that *some* may, but not any of the libertarians I know, and I've been on the Minnesota LP executive committee for over a decade in one way or another.

Or is this just another of your 'straw man' devices?
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

Plane on February 27, 2011, 09:55:54 pm
  I will admit to a bit of jelosy, I would like to have a webcomic and it makes a great daydream for me.

But is the author the boss? Yes indeed, if it were not so I would have no jelosy at all.

The essay at the head of this thread is well said , but I am not wanting to include myself as a destructive influence. I am enjoying the comic as a comic first of all and I would be disapointed if I saw it stop and horrified if it stoped because of some thoughtless comment of mine.

There is a second purpose of the comic to me , as a series of thought experiments . It is intreguing to discuss them. It is like discussing Ford Mustangs , people who do not like them don't talk about them. I like the ideas and I like discussion of alternatives and choices. Do I expect that the author will change course due to my comments? Nah, I don't expect Ford to make a twelve cylinder Mustang either just because I might say it would be cool. The Author is the decider, if he really needed my assistance the comic probly would not have ever attracted me , but now that I am here are my comments really unwelcome? That I want to comment is because I like the comic , I am energised by the ideas, I like that there is a discussion going on and I want to join in.

I have seen quotes of Asimov and Heinlin and new thoughts I haven't encountered before ,I am haveing a good time ,but I could easily be gotten rid of, if the comic becomes uninteresting I am gone.

SandySandfort on February 28, 2011, 08:18:49 am
... I have seen quotes of Asimov and Heinlin and new thoughts I haven't encountered before ,I am haveing a good time ,but I could easily be gotten rid of, if the comic becomes uninteresting I am gone.

Thanks, good post overall. As to the last part, above, you have expressed the readers ultimate power. If enough people find EFT uninteresting, it will be gone with the morning dew. So far the EFT team has kept a critical mass of readers entertained. Some reader feedback has shaped EFT for the better. However, none of pronouncements from self-styled writing experts have changed the strip one iota.

Why? Two reasons:

First, these know-it-alls, know nothing. I have never seen such monumentally ignorance and faulty thinking as has been exhibited by such pitiful losers as Holt and Contrary Guy.

Second, these two and others clearly act without any regard to good faith. They are not trying to elevate the discussion nor offer helpful commentary. Their only raison d'etre is to try to puff themselves up by putting others down. Personally, if I were as pathetically weak, ineffectual and unhappy as these losers, I would just end it all. YMMV.

As it is, I do not need such toxic negativity in my life. That is why I do not read any original posts by these yahoos. If there name is on the post, I just skip over it. (I do enjoy reading their quoted pap second-hand in posts by enlightened readers who do so only to chew these clowns a new one.)  ;D

pendothrax on February 28, 2011, 02:34:03 pm
Holt especially has been reminding me of an unfortunate previous acquaintance.  When presented with a well though but broadly encompassing idea, this person would come back with a more concrete and simplistic subset of what i had just said as though this was an new idea that contributed to the conversation.  I bring this up as Holt has stated that someone must be thinking now, a rather condescending comment, after the exact same idea was repeated.   The only change was to make the same idea more simplistic and concrete.  From what i have experienced, the slower the mind, the more concretely an idea must be expressed to be grasped.  Stating that other people are less accomplished mentally because their ideas are not presented in a concrete enough fashion for your mind to grasp does seem to be an ironically intense way to put yourself down in my opinion. 

As for gold and silver as a medium of exchange, evidence from archeology to current psychology shows that gold and silver hold a large mind share in enough people to reasonably retain value as these metals have for thousands of years.  You cannot eat gold, but you can count on finding someone who will exchange food for your gold rather reliably.   

Plane on February 28, 2011, 09:18:24 pm
Thanks, good post overall.

Agggh, .. you are killing my humillity , of which I was once so proud.

anything