MacFall on November 27, 2010, 08:08:30 pm
I would have thought that as genre-savvy as the characters seem to have been to this point, Babbette would have know better than to utter the words "What could possibly go wrong"? Was that lampshading, or a meta version of idiot ball possession on her part? ;D

(Yes, I spend way too much time reading trope pages.)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 08:20:52 pm by MacFall »
Government is not, as is often believed, a "necessary evil". Rather, it is a plain evil of such power that it has been able to convince people of its necessity.

SandySandfort on November 27, 2010, 10:08:38 pm
I would have thought that as genre-savvy as the characters seem to have been to this point, Babbette would have know better than to utter the words "What could possibly go wrong"?

I'm unsure of what you are trying to say. Nonetheless, the phrase was what we call foreshadowing. And yes, it was supposed to tip off the reader that something bad was on the way. This is a serial and we use a variety of teases to keep you guys coming back.  :D

Was that lampshading, or a meta version of idiot ball possession on her part? ;D

(Yes, I spend way too much time reading trope pages.)

Yes, you do.

quadibloc on November 28, 2010, 01:48:11 pm
I could tell that was an example of "famous last words" as well. However, I don't expect history to repeat itself, so it is unlikely that Libby is going to be orphaned by Reggie and Babette getting vaporized by some other idiot from Earthgov. This time, I presume the problems will be temporary ones the characters manage to get out of, as the characters involved are ones in which there was an investment in characterization.

dough560 on November 28, 2010, 11:12:05 pm
There's been quite a few characters developed over the various story lines.  Looking forward to it.  Now to see which way the ball bounces.

Plane on December 01, 2010, 07:48:50 pm
I like Stephen King , but...

After he has led his reader (me) to invest a lot of empathy into a caricter that caricter will either get killed or will commit some henious act.

Ugh...

Makes me wonder at myself why I have let this happen more than once let alone the many times as I have returned to the block.

Karadan on December 02, 2010, 08:05:09 am
Given that she said 'they'll be fine' instead of 'we'll be fine' I imagine it is going to be something that happens to the group, as opposed to the honeymooners.