quadibloc on October 06, 2010, 05:16:01 am
I was expecting the spaceport mugger to accuse our youthful protagonist of being the spaceport mugger in today's page, thus making things really difficult for him, at least for a time.

Gillsing on October 06, 2010, 02:21:10 pm
I was kind of expecting the same thing, mostly because the two victims wouldn't necessarily know who knocked them out. Though if you have two people down on the floor and a third one beating up a fourth, I guess it's kind of evident who's adept at beating people up. I'm still kind of surprised at the kid's lack of plan for apprehending the criminal. Perhaps he had a plan that involved recording the crime as proof and then get some help? And then he couldn't help himself when he actually witnessed it? Or did he suffer from juvenile delusions of ability? I know I did when I was much younger than him. And I can still beat up anyone. (In my imagination.)

The last panel looks kind of strange though, because none of that running looks like it should work in that famous microgravity. Cue Yakety Sax.
I'm a slacker, hear me snore...

Brugle on October 06, 2010, 03:34:56 pm
I was expecting the spaceport mugger to accuse our youthful protagonist of being the spaceport mugger in today's page,
The mugger couldn't pull that off for long.  His objective would be to avoid being identified.

none of that running looks like it should work in that famous microgravity.
It looks to me as if it isn't working very well.  With the possible exception of the guy with the gun, all of the runners are off the floor, so I'd guess that their speed is fairly low.

Speaking of the gun, will we see a "trial" where the issue is whether shooting the mugger was justified?  Alternate guess: what happens after an innocent bystander is harmed?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:40:30 pm by Brugle »

jamesd on October 06, 2010, 06:50:27 pm
The last panel looks kind of strange though, because none of that running looks like it should work in that famous microgravity. Cue Yakety Sax.

I want flying:  In microgravity, people can fly, and fights should look like superhero fights.

Azure Priest on October 07, 2010, 07:04:39 am
He forgot the cardinal rule of mugging, grab the loot and run. Don't stop to gloat or beat people up.

Sieggy on October 07, 2010, 08:25:33 am
He's also injured, though obviously not badly, and is effectively trapped. He's been seen and hurt, so will be wanting to get off the rock ASAP. It should be fairly easy at this point to just stake out the spaceport and watch for him - there can't be THAT many flights. And since he's been taking commercial flights, he won't have access (or piloting knowledge) to a private craft. And once his description (and perhaps a drawing of his face . . ?) hits the tanglenet, the mugger is in a world o' hurt.

Also, I would think that the spacelines would now have an incentive to cooperate, as I doubt they approve of mugging, so a quick sort of the passenger lists should come up with a name tout suite.

Tucci78 on October 07, 2010, 10:42:05 am
It would seem logical that the mugger is not a Belter, but rather somebody recently arrived from a high-gravity environment (Mars, more likely Terra).

A terrestrial origin would also account for his ability to man-handle Wally so thoroughly, and the fact that he is not packing heat. (We've already established that Terrans tend to be hoplophobes.)

Anybody else wondering why Wally seemed to have been switching hands while going at the mugger with his knife?  Is he supposed to be ambidextrous? 
"I is a great believer in peaceful settlements," Jik-jik assured him. "Ain't nobody as peaceful as a dead trouble-maker."
-- Keith Laumer, Retief's War (1966)

Brugle on October 07, 2010, 02:31:58 pm
:( My guesses are disproved in the next strip!

he's been taking commercial flights,

It would seem logical that the mugger is not a Belter, but rather somebody recently arrived from a high-gravity environment (Mars, more likely Terra).

We don't know the results of the queries, but the queries in strip 535 suggested to me that the mugger is a repeat visitor, perhaps a crewman on a specific ship.  If so, Wally should track him down easily.

Anybody else wondering why Wally seemed to have been switching hands while going at the mugger with his knife?  Is he supposed to be ambidextrous?

Good catch.

What happens in the next few strips?  Wally being thought to be a cop gives everybody a good laugh, someone explains that there aren't any cops, the visitors are horrified that crime would be rampant, then word arrives that Wally captured the mugger?

sams on October 07, 2010, 04:42:17 pm
We don't know the results of the queries, but the queries in strip 535 suggested to me that the mugger is a repeat visitor, perhaps a crewman on a specific ship.  If so, Wally should track him down easily.

Probably a earthy taking advantage of the best lack of ''safety''

Azure Priest on October 08, 2010, 06:54:58 am

What happens in the next few strips?  Wally being thought to be a cop gives everybody a good laugh, someone explains that there aren't any cops, the visitors are horrified that crime would be rampant, then word arrives that Wally captured the mugger?

It seems that you're HALF right. Wally did get partial credit for stopping the mugger, but the mugger is out of belter jurisdiction, so he's not "caught." But if he returns, the belt will be ready.

Good luck with your new "career," Wally. At least you're headed in the right direction for being a detective, if not a Justice agent.

sams on October 08, 2010, 02:51:08 pm

It seems that you're HALF right. Wally did get partial credit for stopping the mugger, but the mugger is out of belter jurisdiction, so he's not "caught." But if he returns, the belt will be ready.

Good luck with your new "career," Wally. At least you're headed in the right direction for being a detective, if not a Justice agent.

After having having the crap beatten out of him and lost some neuron in the process He don't make the difference between both  ;D

quadibloc on October 09, 2010, 02:30:48 pm
What I see as the problem is that there is so little crime on Ceres that being a Justice Agent would be at best a sideline and not a career. Since this story arc is just beginning, and the original mugger is now gone, I suppose most of the arc will be about his misadventures in that regard.

Permonick on October 09, 2010, 02:47:48 pm
What I see as the problem is that there is so little crime on Ceres that being a Justice Agent would be at best a sideline and not a career. Since this story arc is just beginning, and the original mugger is now gone, I suppose most of the arc will be about his misadventures in that regard.

Not necessarily... justice agent career would not be only punishing wrong-doers (a.k.a criminals), because whole meaning of justice at an(-cap) society is in society consensus, he could make his living not only by investigating crimes, but due arbitration of arguments too.
I know, you can object, that he is quite young for such business, but yet he already proved some sense for justice and dedication to the good of society by pursuing this mugger... so he can at least try, and may be he could be lucky with this, because at least for a short period, he will be well-known person through this deed, so he has to profit from this as much as he can...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 02:58:49 pm by Permonick »
What is the difference between politician and onion?
You will cry while slicing the onion.

terry_freeman on October 09, 2010, 03:46:53 pm
I would hire a young man like Wally for investigative tasks, not merely those dealing with crime, but troubleshooting processes which aren't delivering the expected results. Similar skills.

Permonick on October 09, 2010, 04:11:05 pm
I would hire a young man like Wally for investigative tasks, not merely those dealing with crime, but troubleshooting processes which aren't delivering the expected results. Similar skills.

You have even better point than me... I totally missed this one...
What is the difference between politician and onion?
You will cry while slicing the onion.

anything