quadibloc on October 14, 2010, 11:53:54 am
"Post hoc, ergo propter hoc" is eternal.
It's true that people will always confuse correlation with causation. However, I think causality is preserved in reality just fine. If I'm wrong, let me know when you figure out how to determine tomorrow's winning lottery numbers.

Also, I've just realized that if people did switch to using GMT routinely, there would be one thing about that which would be very hard to get used to.

It's bad enough that it will be 11 AM, or 1 PM, the same time everywhere, whether in the morning or the evening.

But what's worse is that it will be midnight everywhere at the same time. Which could be during the day, when most people are awake.

Generally speaking, most people are used to the idea that each day has a name of its own by which they may refer to it. So they can say, with confidence, "Today is Friday, December 15, 2010", without having to look at their watches. When midnight falls in the middle of the day, it isn't just that the clock seems strange - until you "get used to it". The calendar, which is linked to the clock, also starts behaving very strangely indeed.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 10:30:11 pm by quadibloc »

jamesd on October 16, 2010, 09:04:26 pm
Also, I've just realized that if people did switch to using GMT routinely, there would be one thing about that which would be very hard to get used to.

It's bad enough that it will be 11 AM, or 1 PM, the same time everywhere, whether in the morning or the evening.

But what's worse is that it will be midnight everywhere at the same time. Which could be during the day, when most people are awake.

Generally speaking, most people are used to the idea that each day has a name of its own by which they may refer to it. So they can say, with confidence, "Today is Friday, December 15, 2010", without having to look at their watches. When midnight falls in the middle of the day, it isn't just that the clock seems strange - until you "get used to it". The calendar, which is linked to the clock, also starts behaving very strangely indeed.

What we probably should have done, but never did do, is set the years by the seasons, the seasons by the position of the sun relative to the earth's axist, the week and month by the moon, the day by the sun, and the time by the position of the stars from a major observatory, and put up with the fact that none of them had a simple relationship to any of the others.

quadibloc on October 16, 2010, 10:08:48 pm
What we probably should have done, but never did do, is set the years by the seasons, the seasons by the position of the sun relative to the earth's axist, the week and month by the moon, the day by the sun, and the time by the position of the stars from a major observatory, and put up with the fact that none of them had a simple relationship to any of the others.
I suppose we could have had a "week" based on the four quarters of the Moon, and a lunar month, but I don't think that many people would see the point in that.

As for the time by the position of the stars from a major observatory: that would mean the day would not be set by the Sun. I don't think that anyone would want to live by a 23 hour, 56 minute, and 4 second long day. Even if that is the actual period of the rotation of the Earth. But then you probably didn't mean that - I hope.

jamesd on October 17, 2010, 03:12:10 am
What we probably should have done, but never did do, is set the years by the seasons, the seasons by the position of the sun relative to the earth's axis, the week and month by the moon, the day by the sun, and the time by the position of the stars from a major observatory, and put up with the fact that none of them had a simple relationship to any of the others.
I suppose we could have had a "week" based on the four quarters of the Moon, and a lunar month, but I don't think that many people would see the point in that.

Around where I live, a lot of people's lives are ruled by how high the tides are, which depends on the phase of the moon.  How much light there is at night also matters.

Archonix on October 21, 2010, 05:14:08 am
Ahh... I'm glad I didn't keep posting. This has been an interesting read. :D

anything