SandySandfort on August 27, 2010, 08:37:05 am
Hey, how 'bout an actual post about Escape From Terra?

Who can name the source of the access code Bert used to take back control of Little Toot? Just to remind you, it was:

"Emergency cancellation Archimedes."

(The transcript is correct, but Scott added "code" in the strip.)

Your assignment, should you choose to accept it. is to identify the original source of the quote and post it to the list. The first to post the correct answer wins.... an attaboy or attagirl.

J Thomas on August 27, 2010, 08:57:25 am

Who can name the source of the access code Bert used to take back control of Little Toot? Just to remind you, it was:

Your assignment, should you choose to accept it. is to identify the original source of the quote and post it to the list. The first to post the correct answer wins.... an attaboy or attagirl.

Forbidden Planet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/board/thread/163447301

Brugle on August 27, 2010, 11:37:12 am
Darn, I should have remembered that.  A classic line.

SandySandfort on August 27, 2010, 01:43:51 pm

Forbidden Planet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/board/thread/163447301

We have a winner!

Attaboy, J Thomas! (Attagirl, if J. is Janet or otherwise distaff.)

Now, who can tell me who said it and why it was said?

terry_freeman on August 27, 2010, 01:50:34 pm
I'll go with this, which I googled:

Alta overrides her Father's injunction to the robot to admit no one

SandySandfort on August 27, 2010, 02:32:15 pm
I'll go with this, which I googled:

Alta overrides her Father's injunction to the robot to admit no one

We have another winner!

Attaboy, Terry.

Okay, one more; it's a double:

1. The ships crew was building a device to communicate across the light years with earth. What was the essential component that the "monster from the id" destroyed?

2. What term did the Engineer use for the type of technical people who would love to work with that essential component?

Ha! Google that folks!

Rocketman on August 29, 2010, 08:26:20 pm
Was that the Krystron coil?  Spelling may be a little off.  Second ones got me stumped.

SandySandfort on August 29, 2010, 10:08:06 pm
Was that the Krystron coil?  Spelling may be a little off.  Second ones got me stumped.

It is spelled, "Klystron." The device was variously referred to as a Klystron transmitter, Klystron frequency modulator, Klystron monitor, and the big machine was made up of "cubic miles of Klystron relays." Your answer was close enough and the device was in the shape of a coil. Good work!

The other question was just too obscure, so I am going to throw all the cards over. The term was a back-formation from "quantum mechanics." The line from the movie was:

"I'll bet any quantum mechanic would give his life...
 for a chance to fool around with this gadget." (Emphasis added.)

Hey, if you monkey with quantum mechanics, I guess that makes you a "quantum mechanic," right?

quadibloc on August 30, 2010, 07:28:49 am
The device was variously referred to as a Klystron transmitter, Klystron frequency modulator, Klystron monitor, and the big machine was made up of "cubic miles of Klystron relays."
And, incidentally, Klystron tubes are used in the real world for microwave transmission; they were used for radar in World War II.

However, while Klystron tubes include cavities, your microwave oven would normally contain another kind of tube, called a cavity magnetron, instead of a Klystron tube. (It may be that newer ones are using Gunn-effect devices for all I know.) I am going to continue researching the precise relationship, and the precise difference, between a Klystron tube and a cavity magnetron - what I've seen so far indicates they're not just two names for the same thing, even if they're closely related.

Ah: the cavity magnetron replaced the reflex klystron as a microwave generator, so today klystrons are only used to amplify microwave signals in relatively high-power installations.

And this page

http://www.vectorsite.net/ttwiz_03.html

explains how the cavity magnetron combined features of the original plain magnetron with the klystron.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:35:35 am by quadibloc »

Gillsing on September 04, 2010, 10:38:47 am
Rather than posting a new thread I figured that I'd just sneak this into a small, existing thread:

Is "Might was well ..." in the seventh panel of page 520 supposed to be "Might as well ..."? ???

And it took me a bit longer than it should have to realise that Bert and Ernie weren't nearly as dense as they pretended to be. I guess I was too busy reading the speech bubbles to pay close attention to Bert's facial expression in the sixth panel. Funny guys. :D
I'm a slacker, hear me snore...