Can you post without using the poll option? (Can't find anything else)

Yes
1 (50%)
No
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: August 07, 2010, 03:46:36 am

Flinn on August 06, 2010, 03:46:36 am
Please ignore the poll, couldn't for the life of me see an option for a normal thread.

I was wondering about the "Whoom!" sound effects in page 500;
I know you like to have the science/facts right in the comic, and to my understanding there isn't sound in the vacuum of space, so is this a mistake or something to help readers get the feeling that the mass driver is shooting off from the surface?

Archonix on August 06, 2010, 05:26:36 am
We can hear their voices without an apparent radio, so I assume what we're hearing is the vibrations that would come through their suits.

Azure Priest on August 06, 2010, 07:49:26 am
They would feel more than hear the "WHOOM." It is, however, a rather accurate representation of the firing mechanism recoil and the subsequent vibration(s) in the Mass Driver.

SandySandfort on August 06, 2010, 09:11:08 am
Please ignore the poll, couldn't for the life of me see an option for a normal thread.

The attached is my screen. If yours is about the same. you should also have "NEW TOPIC" on the same line as the page number, on the right. Click that for a new thread.

SandySandfort on August 06, 2010, 09:24:39 am
I was wondering about the "Whoom!" sound effects in page 500;
I know you like to have the science/facts right in the comic, and to my understanding there isn't sound in the vacuum of space, so is this a mistake or something to help readers get the feeling that the mass driver is shooting off from the surface?

I could argue that you feel the WHOOM! through your butt, but I basically agree.

EFT Team, let's do something like this in the future:

(WHOOM!)

I think that should convey the intensity of the event, but the parentheses should imply that no sound can be heard.

wdg3rd on August 06, 2010, 03:05:47 pm

The attached is my screen. If yours is about the same. you should also have "NEW TOPIC" on the same line as the page number, on the right. Click that for a new thread.

Been a long time, but as I recall, the ""New Topic" option doesn't appear until you've  posted already in an existing thread.

Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

ZeissIkon on August 06, 2010, 03:17:56 pm
Been a long time, but as I recall, the ""New Topic" option doesn't appear until you've  posted already in an existing thread.

I always have a "new topic" option where Sandy shows it -- that is, only on the topic list page, not within a topic.  I presume this board software is programmed that way to cut down on accidental new topics.

terry_freeman on August 07, 2010, 06:40:50 am
If we accept that sound could carry betwixt spacesuits by touching faceplates, then surely sound would carry from the mass driver to one's butt. It would be perceived as sound; the phenomenon of bone conduction of sound is well known; there is a category of hearing aids which depend on this feature.

Is there any ability to steer as one goes? I can't recall where, but I once read a tale about the Voyager, which asserted that it was pointing the wrong direction (slightly) 90% of the time, but the course was corrected as it went, just as a driver frequently adjusts course to stay on the road.

Apollo-Soyuz on August 07, 2010, 04:01:11 pm

ding..ding..ding!!

I think you're right about that.

Apollo-Soyuz on August 07, 2010, 04:24:20 pm

Quote from: terry_freeman

Is there any ability to steer as one goes?

I can't recall where, but I once read a tale about the Voyager, which asserted that it was pointing the wrong direction (slightly) 90% of the time, but the course was corrected as it went, just as a driver frequently adjusts course to stay on the road.

I assume they'll have to crawl out on the mass driver and spin it using their jetpacks

Just like skeet shooting, you would "lead" the orbit of Dactyl so you and Dactyl show up at the same time at the end of your trip. I assume that's why they needed the formulas in the space scouts manual.

Voyager 1 coasted most of the way, with course corrections. So while the probe was flying towards say Jupiter's orbit, it would "lead" Jupiter such that when Voyager would reach the orbit, Jupiter would be in the right position for a flyby.

Oh, and the crew on earth that aimed Voyager didn't have to slow the probe down like Bert and Ernie have to do. Voyager just did a flyby, and did another maneuver to "slingshot" itself onward to another planet.

Bert and Ernie have to accelerate toward a spot "ahead" of where Dactyl currently is located, but they're also changing velocity with every rock they chuck in the mass driver. Every time they eject a rock, the total mass of the spacecraft changed. Midpoint, they'll need to rotate the massdriver, and then chuck more rocks into the mass driver to slow down. Fortunately, Dactyl is a fairly large target, but they still need to eject enough mass to slow down enough to land on Dactyl safely. Also, if they miss Dactyl, they proably won't have enough fuel to get anywhere else before their suits run out of power and stop recycling their air.

Bob G on August 08, 2010, 01:15:24 pm
Perhaps the 'whoom' was the impact of the wave of fine particles expelled by the mass driver passing by the observer's position.
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

dough560 on August 08, 2010, 02:08:04 pm
Guys, It's still a comic.  Remember "Literary License" ?

Plane on August 08, 2010, 09:30:16 pm
It is never completely silent inside a space suit; you can always hear the gentle hiss of oxygen, the faint whir of fans and motors, the susurration of your own breathing—even, if you listen carefully enough, the rhythmic thump that is the pounding of your heart. These sounds reverberate through the suit, unable to escape into the surrounding void; they are the unnoticed background of life in space, for you are aware of them only when they change.

http://hermiene.net/short-stories/haunted_space_suit.html

terry_freeman on August 08, 2010, 10:09:27 pm
Cats in space? Must be hell on the air filters - and the first time they pee where they're not supposed to, they'd be sent out an airlock, no doubt.

dough560 on August 08, 2010, 10:27:58 pm
Just design and build the system to handle the load.  Cats can also be trained to use a toilet.  How that would be done in zero and micro gravity, I have no idea.

anything