Why is there no easy way to post topics without adding a poll?

it's a n00b filter
2 (20%)
you need to get an "Official Belter Beanie" first
2 (20%)
do'h, we kinda tweeked the code for the forum
1 (10%)
we're not supporting your version of OS with your build of browser, with your set of plug-ins
5 (50%)
the "New Topic" option doesn't appear until you've posted several comments in one or more already existing threads.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

GaTor on August 05, 2010, 11:34:42 pm
I'm an old SpaCol guy dealing mostly with the noncommunications side of things, Telemetry and stuff although I have a smattering in the communications end.  That said most of  the space related radio traffic is in the VHF and UHF bands with some stuff up in the SHF range and a bit down in HF.  NASA suit freqs are at 279.0 MHz, BUT Bert, Ernie and the belters no doubt can and do use any damn frequency they want.  Still space is deep and I'm sure there are standard freqs for normal ops and distress situations.   

As far as being able to listen in on suits in orbit only a few hundred miles up, sheee-it just as long as they are in line of site it's a non issue.  Basically it depends on the size/efficiency of your antenna, the sensitivity of your receiver and your tracking skills/equipment.  The biggest antenna I used to jack around was a 54 ton parabolic dish UHF antenna.  Heh, a good op could track a vehicle off its spark plug emissions using that thing. :)   I could listen to our two boys from Earth if I knew where they were, hell give me an approximate location and a rough estimate of their possible frequency range and I'd bet good money I could find them.  But that's me and several millions of bucks of equipment.   If we're talking about noob space pirates ... nah not so much.   
Go forth and do good.

Oneil on August 27, 2010, 03:14:29 pm
On the topic of radio transmissions, all things considered, "the brothers" should have stuck with sign language.  50mw with decently aimed parabolic would surly present no challenge to hi-gain computer controlled transceivers mounted in a "belters" ship.   ;D

Afterall, us poor terrestrial types have been setting low wattage to distance records like the ones at these links,,

Using old fashioned tube and transistor amplifiers and Dipole Antennas..

http://www.e-discounter.net/qrparci/messages/6063.html

http://rogerwendell.com/qrp.html

Quick math for the longest distance record..  1 microwatt = 0.001 milliwatt  was received 1650 miles away.

SandySandfort on August 27, 2010, 03:56:40 pm
On the topic of radio transmissions, all things considered, "the brothers" should have stuck with sign language.  50mw with decently aimed parabolic would surly present no challenge to hi-gain computer controlled transceivers mounted in a "belters" ship.   ;D

I can not see any reason for a Belter ship to have any long-range, directional radios. Suit radios, yes, for the reasons given. Approach and ground control, also yes. But otherwise, tanglenet is more practical.

Also, why would the pirates have any reason to listen for the brothers' radio chatter? Like most criminals, they are over confident in their brains and abilities. These guys have just taken the path of least resistance.

J Thomas on August 27, 2010, 05:39:37 pm

I can not see any reason for a Belter ship to have any long-range, directional radios. Suit radios, yes, for the reasons given. Approach and ground control, also yes. But otherwise, tanglenet is more practical.

Also, why would the pirates have any reason to listen for the brothers' radio chatter? Like most criminals, they are over confident in their brains and abilities. These guys have just taken the path of least resistance.

If it had been super-competent government agents, there might be backups on backups. It's unclear why they would be left alive in the first place, but if the intention was that they die from suit failure, the bad guys could continually have them under radio and optical observation.

If they had though to suspect that, they could find a secret communication method. But ad hoc criminals wouldn't have the resources and probably wouldn't want to pay that close attention either.

Oneil on August 28, 2010, 12:33:17 am
Well, rather than argue a small point I was trying to make... No real reason to argue over a need for powerful long range equipment to hear 50mw at 40 to 56 miles clear line of site with no background or atmosphere noise.  ;D

How about we instead just chalk it up to suspension of belief and give our trusted author a break. 
Personally I was just surprised that Bert didn't just tell Ernie to change a digital encryption setting or channel on the suit com unit.

joetraff on September 11, 2010, 08:28:50 am
I would like to agree with oneil.
You got the points mate.