Why is there no easy way to post topics without adding a poll?

it's a n00b filter
2 (20%)
you need to get an "Official Belter Beanie" first
2 (20%)
do'h, we kinda tweeked the code for the forum
1 (10%)
we're not supporting your version of OS with your build of browser, with your set of plug-ins
5 (50%)
the "New Topic" option doesn't appear until you've posted several comments in one or more already existing threads.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Apollo-Soyuz on July 30, 2010, 09:31:46 am
In an old issue of Monitoring Times I read an article about someone on earth listening to the NASA low power suit to suit radios. They knew it was the low power radios instead of the rebroadcast because of the frequency. The antenna was a circular polarized antenna with a mesh reflector. The antenna was matched to a 50 ohm line using a length of 75 ohm coax using math that was beyond me at the time. I can't remember the wattage of the spacesuit radios, but I believe they were in the milliwatt range. Talk about QRP!

Anyway, I'm sure the bad guys could hear the suit radios, even at 50 milliwatt, if they had a directional high gain antenna and it was pointed in the proper direction. That's a lot of "if's" though.

When I was learning sign-language, I remember checking to see if there was any usage by deep sea divers or the like. I found some elementary usage by military squads, but that's about it. I suppose suit radios might be too rugged, inexpensive, and reliable to force Belters to actually spend a specific amount of time to learn enough sign-language to actually carry on a conversation. Plus you usually need both hands free to do it. (A parallel might be the fact that most radio Hams don't know Morse Code, even if they know it's the simplest type of transmitter to improvise and the most efficient and longest carrying type of radio broadcast)

I'm sure Belters would have a few dozen universally known signs, (air, radio, broken, help) and there are some obvious ones (finger over the mouth for [shhh, quiet], gesture towards open mouth for [eat], etc). so the conversation that Ernie and Bert had could easily been done. Something like [shh, quiet], [point to antenna on spacesuit], [point to Dactyl].

SandySandfort on July 30, 2010, 09:39:54 am
Click on "New Topic."

Apollo-Soyuz on July 30, 2010, 09:46:43 am
Unfortunately, the only options I see in my browser (Firefox), on my OS (Ubuntu) is this:

Mark Read | Notify | Post new poll

Am I looking in the right place?

quadibloc on July 30, 2010, 10:30:44 am
Unfortunately, the only options I see in my browser (Firefox), on my OS (Ubuntu) is this:

Mark Read | Notify | Post new poll

Am I looking in the right place?
What I see is:

MARK READ | NOTIFY | NEW TOPIC | POST NEW POLL

but when I look at the source of the page, I find

Mark Read, Notify, New Topic, and Post New Poll... with ordinary href tags around them.

Since they're just links, they should show up on any browser, but there isn't a standard Windows font that could be picked to convert the letters to all caps. (I used "view selection source", a handy feature on Firefox, to be sure I was looking at the right part of the page source.)

Not being an expert on SMF forum software, I could not guess what is going on.

ZeissIkon on July 30, 2010, 07:54:57 pm
At the top of the post list page, click on "Escape from Terra" to go up one level, where the top of the page will have "mark read|notify|new topic|post new poll" on the right side.

Yep, it's a n00b filter...   ;D

Anyway, I suspect the story about QRP on NASA moon suit radios is apocryphal.  Assuming those were radiating 250 mW omnidirectionally (unlikely; they probably actually had a very strong bias toward horizontal with very little vertical radiation -- and only vertical would be pointed anywhere near Earth when the astronauts are, as all Apollo missions were, within 45º of the geo-pole at the center of nearside), the effective power at Earth's distance would be approximately 8 nanowatts.  In practice, given a reasonable antenna design for suit-to-suit and suit-to-LEM communication, you'd need to trim that figure by another factor of at least twenty, giving about 400 picowatts.  That's certainly possible to detect -- NASA picks up a more attenuated signal than that from the one still-functioning Voyager spacecraft -- but the antenna required to do it with real-world detectors would be bigger than a 1980s vintage satellite TV dish by several times (NASA uses 20 meter and larger dishes to communicate with outer planets missions).

Given the distance between Ida and Dactyl, it's tempting to wonder why Bert and Ernie's suit jet packs aren't up to the job; Ida's got a surface gravity of a few milligee, and if you jumped hard to assist the jet pack, you could probably fly right into a solar orbit (i.e. go anywhere in the Belt, if you live long enough).  Of course, that wouldn't given the opportunity to remind everyone that a mass driver is a reaction engine, but those of us old enough to remember The Kzinti Lesson don't need that reminder...

Edit: damn, too long since slide rule days; I slipped a decimal above.  Those effective power figures at Earth-Moon distance should be divided by 1000, giving 8 picowatts for true omnidirectional and 4 femtowatts for real-world horizontal-bias spike antennae.  I think even NASA might have trouble picking that up direct (which is why they had a repeater aboard the LEM).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:02:16 pm by ZeissIkon »

Apollo-Soyuz on July 30, 2010, 08:21:29 pm
<snip>

> Yep, it's a n00b filter...   ;D

First I must apologies to myself for hijacking my own thread ;)

Second, please look at the "Why so frightened of vacuum?" thread. The creator of that thread also could not find the post comment either, so he started his as a poll too.

Third, please check out http://forum.bigheadpress.com/index.php?topic=371.msg5339;topicseen#msg5339 <-- this message on another thread.  I think there's some kind if issue with the forum and the browser/platform. But at least it's not just me.

>  Anyway, I suspect the story about QRP on NASA moon suit radios is apocryphal.  Assuming those were radiating 250 mW omnidirectionally ... <snip snip>

Dang, now I'm going to have to dig that article out of my dead tree archives.....

Grashtel on July 30, 2010, 09:23:14 pm
I also don't see the "New Topic" link.  On my main system running Windows Vista with the latest updates I have tried using FireFox, Opera, Google Chromium, Safari, and IE, all of which are up to date (not sure if Chromium is quite the latest version but its not more than a couple of months old) and don't see it with any.  I also tried on my laptop running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and not quite the latest version of Firefox (I think only one update prior to the latest) and still had the same problem.

Looking at the HTML source for the page it seems that the code for the link isn't being served up at all:
Code: [Select]
<td class="mirrortab_back" valign="top"><a href="http://forum.bigheadpress.com/index.php?action=markasread;sa=board;board=13.0;sesc=5d73ec743fd7dfb417818f36a8cb7ce4">Mark Read</a>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="http://forum.bigheadpress.com/index.php?action=notifyboard;sa=on;board=13.0;sesc=5d73ec743fd7dfb417818f36a8cb7ce4" onclick="return confirm('Are you sure you wish to enable notification of new topics for this board?');">Notify</a>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="http://forum.bigheadpress.com/index.php?action=post;board=13.0;poll">Post new poll</a></td>

Apollo-Soyuz on July 30, 2010, 10:38:09 pm
apollo@soyuz:~$ uname -a
Linux soyuz 2.6.28-19-generic #61-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 26 23:35:15 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Also, I'm using Firefox 3.6.8 , and I tried disabling AdBlock Plus and NoScript, no dice.

wdg3rd on July 30, 2010, 11:40:16 pm
Of course, that wouldn't given the opportunity to remind everyone that a mass driver is a reaction engine, but those of us old enough to remember The Kzinti Lesson don't need that reminder...

Some of us are old enough to have known the guy who taught Niven the Kzinti Lesson.  (Dan Alderson, RIP).
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Azure Priest on July 31, 2010, 12:15:28 am
Given the distance between Ida and Dactyl, it's tempting to wonder why Bert and Ernie's suit jet packs aren't up to the job;

While the two asteroids may LOOK stationary relative to each other, they are moving at very high rates of speed. Even if the suit packs had sufficient fuel, which they don't, it would take a decaday or more to complete the trip given the proper acceleration and deceleration requirements.

Rocketman on July 31, 2010, 09:21:27 am
This is a subject that I have no knowledge of so someone will have to either confirm or deny it but I think I read somewhere once that two astronauts could speak to each other by putting their face plates against each other and speaking loudly.  The vibrations could be heard by the other guy and they could communicate without using their radios at all.  True or false?   ???

quadibloc on July 31, 2010, 06:53:51 pm
I think I read somewhere once that two astronauts could speak to each other by putting their face plates against each other and speaking loudly.
I've never been in outer space myself, but I'm pretty sure that is true. However, I think that an idea like "they can hear our radios" could be conveyed by gestures without the need for knowledge of a formal sign language, and that is less trouble than doing that - and it would also be necessary in the first place to set up such communications.

Also, they may have both learned sign language in the Space Scouts as children.

If I wanted to be technically picky, I could point out that milliwatts are a measure of transmitter output, while gain is measured in decibels.

Apollo-Soyuz on August 02, 2010, 02:15:57 pm
...but I think I read somewhere once that two astronauts could speak to each other by putting their face plates against each other and speaking loudly.  The vibrations could be heard by the other guy and they could communicate without using their radios at all.  True or false?   ???

Well, sound can't travel in a vacuum due to lack of an atmosphere.

So with two suit face masks touching, one person could shout, and it might vibrate the face masks enough such that the contact would allow the atmosphere in the second suit to be  vibrated enough that the voice could be heard. Maybe. The theory is sound at least ;)

Whether or not this has actually ever been tested by astronauts or cosmonauts, I have no idea.

Apollo-Soyuz on August 02, 2010, 02:20:02 pm
Whether or not this has actually ever been tested by astronauts or cosmonauts, I have no idea.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2001-07/996080171.Ph.r.html

I don't know this guy, but he appears to have letters after his name.

Rocketman on August 02, 2010, 11:40:55 pm
Thanks Apollo-Soyuz.  Looks like it can be done.  And it is the one way for absolutely private communication.   ;D

anything