SandySandfort on July 26, 2010, 10:31:51 am
For those of you who like stories written by this "panderer to people's escapist inclinations," I have good news. Not only can you buy the first collection of EFT, printed on real dead trees, here:

http://www.amazon.com/ESCAPE-TERRA-1-Sandy-Sandfort/dp/0974381470/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280157111&sr=1-1

but you can also buy the first collection of the prose stories, from which EFT was adapted, printed on dead trees or as a Kindle ebook, here:

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Human-Space-Sandy-Sandfort/dp/0979987741/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1280156129&sr=8-3

Compare and contrast.

Also, don't forget my ebook-only novella, The Resurrections of Robert Heinlein: Genesis, also the first of a series, here:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/14227

MacFall on July 26, 2010, 11:51:48 am
Neat, I'll check those out. I'll probably have money soon for buying them with.

...To what were you referring with the quoted phrase?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:53:39 am by MacFall »
Government is not, as is often believed, a "necessary evil". Rather, it is a plain evil of such power that it has been able to convince people of its necessity.

SandySandfort on July 26, 2010, 12:44:32 pm
Neat, I'll check those out. I'll probably have money soon for buying them with.

Good man!

...To what were you referring with the quoted phrase?

It's what one of the trolls on the forum called me. I think that he thinks he was insulting me.   ::)

quadibloc on July 27, 2010, 08:59:26 am
It's what one of the trolls on the forum called me. I think that he thinks he was insulting me.   ::)
I was somewhat astounded at that post. What really made me gasp was that either that post, or a similar one, was immediately adjacent to another post by him in which he chided someone else for using insults instead of rational argument.

dough560 on July 30, 2010, 02:05:13 am
Thank God for Pandering!  Sandy, you tell a good story.

Spirit Walker.  Minstrel.
Tales, Prose.
Trolls Beware!
As sunlight to a vampire.
Or Silver to the Werewolf.
Thought, Belief
Perhaps they learn to think.
Troll fades away.

SandySandfort on July 30, 2010, 09:33:51 am
Thank God for Pandering!  Sandy, you tell a good story.

Spirit Walker.  Minstrel.
Tales, Prose.
Trolls Beware!
As sunlight to a vampire.
Or Silver to the Werewolf.
Thought, Belief
Perhaps they learn to think.
Troll fades away.

;D

Your poem inspired this haiku and it even rhymes:

Those who can write, write
Envy motivates the troll
No talent, his plight

MacFall on July 30, 2010, 01:33:32 pm
Exposed, the author
His work a broad target makes
For dull, spiteful minds
Government is not, as is often believed, a "necessary evil". Rather, it is a plain evil of such power that it has been able to convince people of its necessity.

SandySandfort on July 30, 2010, 01:53:38 pm
Exposed, the author
His work a broad target makes
For dull, spiteful minds

Strange thing to have in a science fiction forum, but hey, I like it.   :)

MacFall on July 30, 2010, 02:41:30 pm
Well, it was topical since we were talking about critic/trolls. But I can do science fiction.

Space is the true home
Of those who would not be ruled
Except by nature.

SandySandfort on July 30, 2010, 05:01:16 pm
Well, it was topical since we were talking about critic/trolls. But I can do science fiction.

Space is the true home
Except by nature.

Nice one.

wdg3rd on July 30, 2010, 11:48:46 pm

Space is the true home
Except by nature.

Nice one.

This is getting like the haiku thread over at the Repairman Jack forum.  Well, I'll give it a shot (5-7-5, right?)

We know that in space
Nobody can hear you scream
Except in movies.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

SandySandfort on July 31, 2010, 01:17:17 am

Space is the true home
Except by nature.

Nice one.

Too true.

Plus explosions, "zoom" sounds, etc.

This is getting like the haiku thread over at the Repairman Jack forum.  Well, I'll give it a shot (5-7-5, right?)

We know that in space
Nobody can hear you scream
Except in movies.

SandySandfort on August 17, 2010, 12:10:33 pm
Folks,

I have a non-fiction op-ed piece about cryogenics in today's H+ Magazine:

http://hplusmagazine.com/editors-blog/cryogenic-death-benefits-better-dead

Tell me what you think.

Brugle on August 17, 2010, 12:38:23 pm
Tell me what you think.
I enjoyed it.  One tiny quibble:
the moment you die by any definition of death you start to spoil
It seems to me that spoilage occurs all the time, but a living body tries (usually successfully) to limit it and repair any damage.

quadibloc on August 17, 2010, 05:11:55 pm
A very interesting article.

It reminds me of the famous case where, since someone was cryopreserved quickly after dying, before a doctor could certify death, the local D.A.'s office wanted to get their hands on the frozen brain to thaw it and do an autopsy.

But this means that what cryonics really needs is full legal recognition, not just taking a different angle on whether or not their subjects are dead. And full legal recognition would include being protected from being made deader - as if they were alive, and thus acts that diminished their level of preservation could still be treated as murder, even though they already died long ago.

anything