terry_freeman on August 02, 2010, 12:41:49 pm
American politicians: "Tax the rich. Tax them again. Rinse and repeat."

Chinese politicians: "It is glorious to be rich"

'nuff said.

dough560 on August 08, 2010, 06:27:23 pm
Watched a Public Television Fund Drive Special the other day.  The Moderator was describing how the government with a 55 per cent, estate tax and a 40 per cent, income tax; took 95 per cent of an estate.  The last 5 per cent of the estate was taken with an excise tax.  The actual total tax rate was 103 per cent.  The guy who got hit with this, took it to the supreme court who decided the combined taxes could not exceed 100 per cent.  Probably cost him a million dollars to get to the supreme court.

GeoModder on August 17, 2010, 10:43:01 am
http://www.bigheadpress.com/eft?page=507

Ooooooh, shiny...
Which of the brothers is closest to the mass necessary to get in reach of Dactyl? :D

J Thomas on August 17, 2010, 11:34:49 am
http://www.bigheadpress.com/eft?page=507

Ooooooh, shiny...
Which of the brothers is closest to the mass necessary to get in reach of Dactyl? :D

If they don't have enough mass to use the mass driver, maybe they can push off against it to get to Dactyl.

Also, if they can be fired from the mass driver, maybe it has a slow setting. There's a big difference between getting shot out of a cannon hard enough to reach the moon, versus getting shot out of the same cannon hard enough to match up orbits that are already almost the same.

But if you depend on muscle and rocket-pack to slow you down when you land, then you'd better not accelerate faster than muscle and rocket-pack can push you. If they use up their rocket packs for the landing then they'd better not get more dV than that from the mass driver. And if they have to do it one at a time then one will need more dV than the other, because the second one will get accelerated *away* when the first one leaves.

Maybe they can find some other reaction mass.

GeoModder on August 17, 2010, 01:44:43 pm
Maybe they can find some other reaction mass.

I wonder if there are loose parts on the mass driver itself... For instance, the 'buckets' that held the rocks are no longer needed.

Gillsing on August 18, 2010, 02:16:44 pm
I thought about that too, but I figured they'd be too big. Didn't know that they could easily cut them up into smaller parts.
I'm a slacker, hear me snore...

anything