GeoModder on July 10, 2010, 02:50:00 am
Hey all,

On yesterday's page the line about the ever-changing view of Ida struck me because in the same page it is said that Ida and Dactyl are in a rotational lock. So I could believe the shadows change shape and such, but I would think the landscape view itself remains the same?

Edit: my error. You seem to mean that Dactyl is rotationally locked, not both objects rotationally locked to each other.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:20:00 am by GeoModder »

SandySandfort on July 10, 2010, 01:49:30 pm
On yesterday's page the line about the ever-changing view of Ida struck me because in the same page it is said that Ida and Dactyl are in a rotational lock. So I could believe the shadows change shape and such, but I would think the landscape view itself remains the same?

Edit: my error. You seem to mean that Dactyl is rotationally locked, not both objects rotationally locked to each other.

Roger-Dodger. The caption says, "Dactyl is rotationally locked to its orbital period around Ida, so one side of Dactyl always faces Ida." There is only one way to interpret that. This is exactly the same as with Earth's moon, it is rotationally locked to its orbital period around earth, so one side of the moon always faces the earth.

anything