Scott on July 05, 2010, 11:36:09 pm
And with today's strip we welcome a new member of the EFT team, Leila Del Duca! Leila will be inking over LEE OAKS's pencils going forward, giving Lee more time to pursue additional projects.

Leila is quite a talented young artist, and we're fortunate to have her on board. You can see more of her work on her personal website, http://www.leiladelduca.com/ .

GaTor on July 06, 2010, 10:54:01 am
Welcome Leila. You're joining a top notch team. 

Regarding the current strip, I have a technical question.  I didn't think that plutonium existed in nature in any great amounts.  It's my recollection that plutonium was first created 'in the lab' so to speak.  And as for finding a 200kg mass of it... um I think it only take about 6 or 7 kg to achieve critical mass.  But then there's  purity issues and concentration density etc.  I'n no nuclear physicist so I dunno.  Also wouldn't such a mass be giving off a tremendous amount of detectable radiation?  Should be hotter than hell too.     

Anyway EFT is still ranks among my top 5 comics overall.
Go forth and do good.

SandySandfort on July 06, 2010, 11:01:13 am
Regarding the current strip, I have a technical question.  I didn't think that plutonium existed in nature in any great amounts.  It's my recollection that plutonium was first created 'in the lab' so to speak.  And as for finding a 200kg mass of it... um I think it only take about 6 or 7 kg to achieve critical mass.  But then there's  purity issues and concentration density etc.  I'n no nuclear physicist so I dunno.  Also wouldn't such a mass be giving off a tremendous amount of detectable radiation?  Should be hotter than hell too.     

Basically, that was a what if. Something with a high specific gravity is in there. What elements have such a high density? Bert rattles them off to Ernie. It's a big universe and almost anything is theoretically possible, but plutonium would be highly unlikely.

Anyway EFT is still ranks among my top 5 comics overall.

I thank you for the team. Keep posting when you see anything that tickles your curiosity.

Brugle on July 06, 2010, 01:41:29 pm
Leila will be inking over LEE OAKS's pencils going forward, giving Lee more time to pursue additional projects.
"inking" and "pencils" sound like production on paper, but I would guess that EFT and other BHP strips were produced digitally.  Is there a description (on this site or elsewhere) of the production process?

Hi Leila Del Duca.  :) I hope you enjoy the work as much as we do.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:44:11 pm by Brugle »

Scott on July 06, 2010, 08:21:39 pm
I don't know the exact process (and Lee doesn't come to the forum very often), but the artwork for EFT is primarily produced on paper, but digitizing is involved. My understanding is that Lee produces his pencils on paper, then scans them, then e-mails the scans to Leila, who has them printed in non-photo blue on heavy paper, then inks on the paper. Tones are added via ink wash. Then those results are scanned again, cleaned up a bit in Photoshop, and sent to me via ftp, where I add the lettering.

The majority of web-cartoonists, to my knowledge, still pencil and ink their comics on paper, then digitize them on a scanner, clean them up or add tones/colors in Photoshop. Learning to draw on a tablet, the way I do it, takes a lot of time and patience -- I was pretty much forced to do this when I worked as an artist in the computer game industry, so now it's second-nature to me. There are some web-cartoonists, particularly younger artists, who draw on a tablet, but they prefer the Cintiq screen-tablets (which I'd also like to get but can't afford yet -- please buy my books!)

Rocketman on July 07, 2010, 11:05:12 am
Welcome Leila.  Went to your website and it looks like your artwork is excellent.  Looking forward to seeing more of your work!   ;D

edbonderenka on July 09, 2010, 06:02:19 am
Welcome, Leila. Thanks for the good work.

anything