SandySandfort on April 20, 2010, 10:35:33 am
I had a chat with some friends from Singapore who wanted me to move there, but I sort of balked when they told me the penalty for merely owning a firearm: death...

This is not quite true. Anyone may own firearms. However, they may keep and fire them only at a gun club. This I know for sure. When I lived in Singapore, our Chinese business partner was a gun owner.

Also, I seriously doubt that the death penalty applies to mere possession of a firearm outside of a gun club. A citation would be appreciated.

What your friends probably meant was that the aggressive use of a firearm meant the death penalty. While I was in Singapore, a criminal hijacked a taxi at gun point, while fleeing the crime scene. He lead the police on a wild car chase across the island. At some point, he bailed from the taxi and ran into an undeveloped area. When the police approached, he warned them off with shots. He realized that now, if he were captured, he would be executed. So he used the gun to take his own life.

sams on April 20, 2010, 11:04:10 am
From today episodes

It is a characteristic of government prosecutors to make such broad accusations ... if she had been convicted by a private individuals, she would only be charged for only the loss not for sabotaging the ''operations of the state''

Or they could have just decided to beat the everloving shit out of her so she won't do it again and send her on her way, instead of charging her with anything. Anarchy is like that.

I staid 10 min in front of my monitor and couldn't find an appropriate way to respond to this utter piece of nonsense

Do you really see that in the context of the present episode if she was victim of sabotaging a privately owned Tram she would be lynched ?

Please at least try make some humanly reasonable argument next time you decide to taint your computer keyboard
I had a chat with some friends from Singapore who wanted me to move there, but I sort of balked when they told me the penalty for merely owning a firearm: death...

This is not quite true. Anyone may own firearms. However, they may keep and fire them only at a gun club. This I know for sure. When I lived in Singapore, our Chinese business partner was a gun owner.

Also, I seriously doubt that the death penalty applies to mere possession of a firearm outside of a gun club. A citation would be appreciated.

What your friends probably meant was that the aggressive use of a firearm meant the death penalty. While I was in Singapore, a criminal hijacked a taxi at gun point, while fleeing the crime scene. He lead the police on a wild car chase across the island. At some point, he bailed from the taxi and ran into an undeveloped area. When the police approached, he warned them off with shots. He realized that now, if he were captured, he would be executed. So he used the gun to take his own life.

Thanks for the clarification ... so Singapore is kind of a freer society or a strange mixture of both ?

I'm very intrigued by singapore since it looks like a dictatorship but doesn't seems like one :-\

SandySandfort on April 20, 2010, 11:46:15 am
Thanks for the clarification ... so Singapore is kind of a freer society or a strange mixture of both ?

I'm very intrigued by singapore since it looks like a dictatorship but doesn't seems like one :-\

Dictatorships--and Singapore is an authoritarian state; a dictatorship, if you will--vary as to the idiosyncrasies of the dictators. Mostly, if you don't cause trouble, you are left alone in Singapore, because that's the way Lee Kwan Yew wanted it. Lee was a patriot of sorts and really did work to improve the lives of Singaporeans. Often, however, at the cost of civil liberties. What is amazing, is that he stepped down... more or less. He is now "Senior Minister Lee" and only jumps in, like a deus ex machina, to resolve problems that the current government cannot.

After I left Singapore, William Gibson and I wrote companion articles about Singapore for Wired magazine. I briefed Gibson before his whirlwind visit there and fact-checked his article before publication. Our articles can be found here:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1.04/gibson.html
   http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1.04/sandfort.html

Singapore regularly censors magazine articles they do not like. Sometimes they ban the particular issue, other times they remove the offending article, from every copy of the issue, with a scissors! Apparently, they did not like our articles, but they knew better that to ban Wired. Wired has too many free-speech advocates. So they did something very clever.

All newspapers and magazines are imported by MPH, a book distributor and seller. At the time MPH was either owned by the government or otherwise controlled. So what happened was that the Wired issue with our articles was not censored, per se. Instead, MPH "accidentally" underestimated the demand and bought only a handful of copies. See, no censorship... sort of.

The funny part was that we were contacted by pro-freedom university students who asked for permission to post the article on the internet. Of course, permission was granted immediately and at no cost. "You can't stop the signal, Mal."

sams on April 20, 2010, 12:42:56 pm
Thanks for the article Sandy  :D

I just made some reading and feel like the Dark Side of the force is taking possession of my mind  ;D
It is interesting that Singapore is #2 in Economic freedom ... Maybe one way to preserve freedom would be to negate to people the use of the government has a way to plunder others, I now this in the practical case of Singapore means to give up civic freedom

I would be great if we could take the opportunity of the Greek bankruptcy to buy and island and run a Mediterranean Singapore and install a fee based residency ... but this is just my sick twisted mind  ;D

I will try to read more about Singapore and I wait for tomorrow episode

Heinlein Libertarian on April 20, 2010, 01:49:19 pm
In the elevators. How cool is that?

Insane, and dictatorial, but a man can dream... I've stepped in enough urine-logged elevators to wish heartily for something similar here in the States.

Azure Priest on April 21, 2010, 07:33:27 am
From today episodes

It is a characteristic of government prosecutors to make such broad accusations ... if she had been convicted by a private individuals, she would only be charged for only the loss not for sabotaging the ''operations of the state''

Or they could have just decided to beat the everloving shit out of her so she won't do it again and send her on her way, instead of charging her with anything. Anarchy is like that.

Not in front of the "newsies."

terry_freeman on April 21, 2010, 01:40:30 pm
You are correct about keeping guns in clubs: I had forgotten that detail. However, my friend from Singapore - who was a reserve officer in the police - was quite insistent; having a gun in one's home is a capital offense. "DEATH", as he repeatedly put it, in all caps.

I looked at the crime reports. Quite a few cases of little old ladies being robbed by young, vigorous bullies who need not fear that the lady might carry an equalizer.

anything