Zilabus on March 23, 2010, 09:40:15 pm
Hey, what's up guys? Kind of tired of political discussion, so I'm going in another direction. I'm in the market for a personal protection firearm. Something easy to carry, fairly accurate, and not very heavy on price. I already own a Kahr M9093 9mm, that is a total breeze to carry. Takes up very little room in my car, and light and comfortable enough to carry easily in my pocket or in a jacket/hoodie. The Kahr is a very, very nice personally protection firearm, and I've become a good shot with it, and just all around used to carrying it. However, I got a very high offer on it recently, and It's almost too good to pass up. If I do sell it, I was wondering if you guys have any good experiences with other concealed carry firearms, or bad ones, even. I just want to get a feel for other models and manufacturers before making a sale or purchase.
Bring back the funk.

dough560 on March 25, 2010, 06:58:07 am
A Para P13, .45 with 230 grain Hydro-Shocks.  S&W 581 140 grain Hydro-Shocks.  S&W 625 with Glaser Safety Slugs or 230 grain Hydro-Shocks.  S&W 58 with 170 Grain Silver Tips.  The P13 rides in a Summer Special.  The Smiths ride in Safariland 567s

Where I'm going and doing, determines which I carry.  No hard or fast rules, just a subjective feeling.  All of the Smiths have the same style of grips / cylinder latches, with the adjustable sight models having Millet Sights.  Most of my Smiths have enough use I'm going to send them back to S&W for rebuild and modification as my finances permit.

What I would like to get my hands on are the 2.5 and 4 inch 625PD (45 acp) and the 4 inch 357PD (41mag).  These things are light!  Either model would be converted to double action only and have the barrel ported for recoil control.  These guns are intended for the field or street.  Not competition.

When I first began checking out the 357PD, I was impressed by the green fiber optic front sight and plain express rear sight.  A couple of things I've recently read, indicate having only the front sight fluoresce speeds target acquisition.  I'm old enough, my eyes do better with the express sight or a Docter Reflex Sight.  I wonder if S&W would re-grove the 581 / 58 top straps into an express configuration?

Kahr has good products.  I've been impressed with those I've handled.  I generally buy a gun for a specific reason and seldom sell a gun once I buy it.  Those I have sold, I still regret.   

The individual trying to get your Kahr, is he offering enough to pay you back for what you've invested in it?  How about enough to replace it with the same model.... If that's the case, send him to the store and let him get his own.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:53:39 am by dough560 »

Dejvid on March 25, 2010, 07:12:56 am
Depending on the enviroment and weather, one or more of the following...

Large: Smith and Wesson 1006 10 mm Automatic with 2 spare mags
Medium: Glock 17 9 mm auto with 2 spare mags
Small: Heckler & Kock P7 9 mm Luger with 2 spare mags
Real Small: Smith and Wesson Airweight Bodyguard .38 spl with 6 spare rounds in wallet case.

What makes all this work for me is the accoutrements.  A good, stiff belt (the leather kind, not the kind out of a bottle) helps.  I also have a Coronado jacket that is great for concealed carry.  I'm not a big guy (6 foot tall and a mighty 145 pounds), but with the Coronado I can carry the S&W 1006 and be totally discreet.   I've found a short-sleeved bush jacket to be another useful item.  With a pair of khakis and a sport shirt it looks business casual, but with its length and cavernous pockets  I can wear the big Smith, carry one of the smaller guns in a front pants pocket, keep spare ammo and pepper spray in the jacket pockets, and keep the Glock in a "day planner" in my briefcase if I need to go in someplace where I need to leave my other guns in the car.  

Hope this provides some ideas.

Dave

Rocketman on March 25, 2010, 10:05:02 am
The Kahr that you already own is a fine gun and the only handicap is it's caliber (9mm).  Depending on what your skill level is and how fast you can shoot that may or may not be the right caliber for you.  I personally prefer the .45acp.  Generally speaking if your an average shot who trains only occasionally then what you have is probably pretty close to the ideal gun for you.  If the gun is accurate for you, your comfortable with it and most importantly it's totally reliable with the ammo that you use, I'de keep it.

dvd rentals on March 27, 2010, 06:27:01 pm
I have several guns that I carry during the servicing of my rental kiosk.
I am the proud owner of a range of dvd and blu ray rental kiosks
dvd rental and when I am servicing
them I normally carry the Kimber Ultra Carry II with Crimson grips. I should
probably post pics on my home page. It is a super slick gun and the grips
really enhance the visual.

wdg3rd on March 28, 2010, 03:38:29 pm
The Kahr that you already own is a fine gun and the only handicap is it's caliber (9mm).  Depending on what your skill level is and how fast you can shoot that may or may not be the right caliber for you.  I personally prefer the .45acp.  Generally speaking if your an average shot who trains only occasionally then what you have is probably pretty close to the ideal gun for you.  If the gun is accurate for you, your comfortable with it and most importantly it's totally reliable with the ammo that you use, I'de keep it.

Like Neil says, a .22LR where you can get at it is better than an RPG locked in the trunk of your car.  (yeah, I'm paraphrasing -- too tired and/or drunk to look up the real quote).  He claims he'd rather play turtle if the guy is running beyond reliable handgun range -- so will I, but I'll still take the opportunity to go for my long gun in case he's going to get some friends and turn around.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

wdg3rd on March 28, 2010, 03:54:22 pm
La Esposa is a better shot with a 9mm pistol than I am with a .45 (and I haven't missed a target the size of a head at 50 yards in over thirty years if I've had a three round chance to sight in a new or loaned pistol first).  She likes it.  And she likes the little semi-auto rifle in the same caliber over the Marlin lever gun (fine with me, because I don't like 9mm).  Even though she's a better shot than I am with the Marlin or damned near anything else (the F is more D than the M, as Kipling wrote and Wodehouse abbreviated).
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

AnonymousOne on March 29, 2010, 05:25:14 pm
I open-carry a SIG226 in 9mm whenever I walk the dog, usually at night/dark/etc.

I'm a pretty decent shot so the 124gr Speer Golddot's should be enough, and if it's not ... well that's why I have 15 round mags.

In the future I am planning on a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded Champion or Compact for Concealed.

The Economist's Cookbook - Recipes For A More Free Society
http://economistscookbook.blogspot.com/

Slamlander on March 30, 2010, 12:39:40 am
I already own a Kahr M9093 9mm, that is a total breeze to carry. Takes up very little room in my car, and light and comfortable enough to carry easily in my pocket or in a jacket/hoodie. The Kahr is a very, very nice personally protection firearm, and I've become a good shot with it, and just all around used to carrying it. However, I got a very high offer on it recently, and It's almost too good to pass up.

You would be a fool to sell it. Carry weapons have to become a part of you or they are useless. Once they become a part of you then they take months to replace.

That said, for CCW, I like .380's, with the right load, in a Walther PPKS. Alternatively, the mini-Glock in 9mm. Service carry is a Glock in 40 cal S&W. Big enough to stop and light enough to double-tap. For long-guns, I love my Styer-AUG.
T H E   S L A M L A N D E R
Computer Mage: Master of C++ and Java, Creator of instances, Sunderer of Spaghetti-code, Tender of the Class Trees, Keeper of the Holy Algorithms, Wielder of the sacred heuristics, and Novelist.

jrl on April 01, 2010, 09:22:40 pm
I carry a teeny-weeny Kel-Tek P32, pretty much all the time and everywhere and when the bulk isn't a problem, a S&W 638 airweight bodyguard.  I have a variety of other kinetic energy weapons I'll hang on my belt around the farm to deal with varmints and preditors.

I really wouldn't consider using the little Kel-Tek at a range of much over ten feet. . . For that matter, unless an assailant has a gun, I figure ten or twelve feet is about as far as I could justify in court. . . And I figure just returning fire will put the average thug far enough off his game to give me a way better chance of survival. Of course, if he is a rogue cop I'm probably dead 'cause I'm not a that good a shot, except compared to gang bangers. . .

"Better the .22 you have when you need it than the .45 you left home (or in the car) 'cause it was too big and heavy."

Rocketman on April 02, 2010, 10:32:52 am
jrl:  There's nothing wrong with the Kel-Tec because I carry a P-11 during the summer months when I'm usually just in a t-shirt and jeans.  Because of the weird trigger pull (which you just have to practice with to compansate for) I don't feel outgunned and if someone where shooting at a long distance I'm pretty sure that I could hit someone at fifty yards away.  At least the trigger pull is consistant.  My previous gun the Smith and Wesson 469 I just could not get used to the difference between the first trigger pull and the second.  It kept throwing my shots off in rapid fire.   8)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:50:43 am by Rocketman »

dough560 on April 04, 2010, 09:01:58 am
Rocketman, if you still have the 469, you could contact the S&W Performance Center and see if they will convert it to Double Action Only.  My step father has a Lady Smith 439 DAO and it shoots pretty well.  Shouldn't be much of a problem.... 

I don't like the double to single action trigger transition either.  But I shoot the Sig 220 and 226's pretty well.  Wouldn't mind having one of the Sig single action models.

When I'm on the family farm, when I'm carrying I also carry a Cold Steel Tanto.  Ohio CCW Law hasn't caught up to the fact some of us would like to carry a blade and/or collapsible baton and/or mace/pepper spray when we CCW.

Rocketman on April 04, 2010, 03:17:23 pm
Dough:  Got rid of it sometime ago.  I have a set of rules that I live by.  If a gun isn't reliable with the factory ammo I have in it, I try some other ammo.  If it still isn't reliable then I have someone look at it.  If they look at it and it still isn't reliable, I get rid of it IMMEDIATELY.  Accuracy to some degree can be fixed but I won't own, let alone carry a gun that isn't 99.98% reliable.  The Smith at the time was reliable and in slow fire was actually fairly accurate.  I just could not get used to having a long trigger pull that breaks near the back of the trigger housing and then the next shot is much lighter and breaks almost as soon as the trigger is pulled.  Except for that I liked everything else about the gun.  I've shot the sig's but not extensively.  The difference doesn't seem to be as pronounced as the Smith is.  I guess that I'm either a Single action man (Colt 1911a1 or Browning high power) or a double action S&W revolver gun guy.  Too old and set in my ways I guess.

GT Colt on April 05, 2010, 07:53:11 am
I carry the Colt .45 cal New Agent with a Grip Clip so that i can carry it daily. The Grip clip allows me to tuck it in the waistband of what ever I am wearing. The gutter sights assure a smooth draw with no snagging. i feel the large caliber hollow points paired with a 3" barrell in the 1911 style make it a great concealed carry gun, but when it comes down to it, go with your gut on what feels right.

Rocketman on April 05, 2010, 10:14:35 am
GT: I'm really impressed with the Glock series.  If they had come out at the same time that I was purchasing handguns, I might have very well have gone for them instead of the Colt 1911A1 or BHP.  A really well thought out gun is the Glock 36, a single column .45acp.  I have pretty much what I need now but have been considering it or the Glock 19 to my battery.