quadibloc on April 04, 2010, 10:08:13 pm
I will let you in on a little secret. I haven't yet decided if Emily's actions were justified. My gut says, yes, but I am still pondering it philosophically. I feel no obligation to agree with everything I write.
I can be comfortable with the story simply making a dramatic point about people being responsible for their actions. So the second crewman died... because he chose to make the wrong kind of excuse.

Had he been more eloquent, though, and noted:

a) regret for what he had done, and

b) that had he refused, the only result would have been his going to the brig, as his captain could always have pushed the button himself...

well, perhaps he wouldn't have been the sort of person who would have been on that bridge at the time.

Because this is an entertaining story, and not a political tract, it is entirely understandable for not every philosophical point to be fully covered.

sams on April 05, 2010, 12:49:07 am
The biggest problem with cameras "everywhere" is the person or people who control them. Cameras CAN lie by omission. Videos and photos can also be altered in many ways from the ridiculous to the dangerously scandalous.

It depends on who and why the camera are operated and to ''protect'' what ;)

For example public security cameras are generally inefficient since they cover large areas and are most of the time are used to bust petty crime, and aren't even good to prevent robberies, rape and the ... will for the price of each camera almost all citizen could get a Saturday Night Special (GUN) and have some peace of mind ;)

I studied in a boarding school were we had cameras in our installation to prevent vandalism ... it was awful to live like an hamster ... but they busted ONE student for stealing a cell-phone, another for playing basketball nude in the dormitories lol

Supermarkets and other business, like banks, have cameras covering their more precious assets, and those are more likely to be part of successive security system ;)

So the effectiveness of a camera monitoring depends on:
- intensity : There a difference between monitoring a bank vault and a empty street were nothing happens
- Purpose: The MYTH behind public cameras is that you can solve crimes only by having videos of everywhere every time ...  The purpose of private cameras is that videos can be useful has part of your facilities security aparatus

So you have a MYTH and vague purpose vs a specific one ... which is going to be more efficient ;D
So having private cameras in place like the EFT park, which are part of the security system and protection of the clients while be more efficient than monitoring a whole city a la Big Brother ... you don't want a dead body in your arms or a video of a client with his mistress in the hands of his wife ;)

Having Darling and his fellow UW kicked our of the park and shamed by the media will more than enough, since I suppose the UW is not Nazi Germany, but more like a Benevolent Nanny State Social Democracy ... so having your troops trying to commit murder in the EFT version of Disneyland is not the best public relations scenario ;)

It is likely that Darling superiors will back tell him to bring his ass home ... unless those guys are serious about avenging Admiral Harris death .... but if they were they would have hired a professional assassin ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:52:17 am by sams »

Azure Priest on April 05, 2010, 09:34:04 am

It is likely that Darling superiors will back tell him to bring his ass home ... unless those guys are serious about avenging Admiral Harris death .... but if they were they would have hired a professional assassin ;)

What makes you think that they haven't? Unless the contract specifies a deadline, pros take their sweet time casing a target and preparing a strike that (at worst) is only suspicious.

PS. The "cameras everywhere" part of my post meant the "big brother" scenario. As part of an integrated private security system on private property, they can be VERY effective. It all depends on the trustworthiness of the camera operator(s).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:36:16 am by Azure Priest »

sams on April 05, 2010, 09:53:48 am

What makes you think that they haven't? Unless the contract specifies a deadline, pros take their sweet time casing a target and preparing a strike that (at worst) is only suspicious.

I haven't ruled the possibility that out the possibility that the UW has hired an assassin, but the possibility that the UW Navy aren't willing to avenge Harris death to the point of staging of backing Darling murder attempt wearing a UW uniform, using a UW weapon and under cameras !! This is a HUGE public relation nightmare having your soldiers shooting quasi-nude women in the middle of EFT Disney World, since the UW is likely to a benevolent Social Democracy and not Nazi Germany

But yes they might have hired a professional assassin to kill our two girls ... but Darling stupid move will likely have him kicked by his superiors

Rocketman on April 05, 2010, 10:55:54 am
They'll probably dishonorably discharge Darling and his buddies and tell the world that they had no knowledge of his actions and were just as appalled as everyone else is.  Darling isn't an asset to them anymore he's a liability.   :D

Azure Priest on April 06, 2010, 07:28:51 am
Well said, Fiorella. I would have made another request, that the incident report not name the two ladies specifically. Bad enough about the "war between worlds," but it's going to be a completely different story when this media shitstorm hits the fan. It will be nigh impossible to get any mining work done with media ships constantly following them around and paging for interviews.

John DeWitt on April 06, 2010, 08:47:39 am
Or did they leave their clothes in the biplane?

I love a lady in a towel.  But that propwash is gonna be murder.

Azure Priest on April 08, 2010, 07:02:57 am
Roller coasters. It just HAD to be roller coasters.