NemoUtopia on May 16, 2010, 11:14:47 am
I have no trouble envisioning a 'modern West' with today's technology setting up a system of road maintenance related directly to labor time...

NemoUtopia (love the name, by the way; "No one, nowhere"), yes you could do it that way. However, there is no reason not to use a money payment system. Money, arguably, is one of the ten greatest invention of mankind.

------

There are many situations where it makes economic sense not to charge individuals for individual service. My guess is that people  who are free to be creative will come up with many innovative ways to provide services and make money.

Yay, someone else who recognizes the references! When the Pixar movie came out I laughed at the joke in the name [Finding No-One]. Ever since "No me piscinam!" [[Latin: 'I am not a fish']] has become like a motto -_-; These are very good points, and my example was more 'for the sake of example' than a 'best way' statement. I actually hadn't considered that aspect of providing services...which is especially ironic since I am currently a customer service helping hand / talking head. ((Side note: ending in mid-summer, huzzah!)) @terry and sams as well: these last two posts are very educational for me. I think I love you guys just because you expose to great reading/thinking material. Just checking the post histories has given me a good bit to add to my reading list.

Siddhartha Vicious on May 16, 2010, 04:38:08 pm
Just found this site, and read through the first story arc. 

Lovely.

And all the Heinlein references (at least in the first arc) made me smile, right down to Guy plugging the hole with his behind.

Will definitely be back for more, thank you.

SandySandfort on May 16, 2010, 06:13:19 pm
Just found this site, and read through the first story arc. 

Lovely.

Ah, another person with good taste!  ;D

And all the Heinlein references (at least in the first arc) made me smile, right down to Guy plugging the hole with his behind.

Thank Scott for that last contribution. Not all the references ("Easter Eggs" as we see them) are from Heinlein, though his influence predominates. We know we are playing to a clever and well-read audience, so we try to drop things in that will give them a smile of recognition. Welcome aboard.

anything