Rocketman on April 11, 2010, 07:28:57 pm
Got a brief story that I would like to share.  Watching Glen Beck last Friday night and he had on a group of college students from the Northeast USA mostly from in or around New York City.  One of the male conservative students spoke about an incident that happened to him when Obama and Clinton were both trying to secure the Democrat nomination.  Obama was coming to the school and another student came up to him all excited and said to him.  "So are you excited to have Obama coming here to the school?"  "Are you going to go to the rally and see him?"   "Not really."  He replies "I'm not going to the rally."  The liberal student says to him "Really, I never knew you were that big of a Hillary Clinton supporter."  Reminds me of the old joke from the original Blues Brothers movie where the woman says "We got both kinds of music here."  "We got country AND we got western."  You just can't make this stuff up.

Heinlein Libertarian on April 12, 2010, 10:39:31 am
Tranzis.  Short, simple and to the point. Do you remember what context Ringo and Kratman used it and where?

The essay in the back of Watch on the Rhine is the first time I remember hearing the specific term "Tranzi" used.

For anybody not familiar with Ringo and Kratman, I'll just say this: Were I a woman, I would want to have their children. Since I am not, I will read their books and laugh as Tranzis are eaten by giant yellow aliens.

The Posleen series is full of humor, seemingly unstoppable marauding alien hordes, questionable and even outright hostile allies, blood by the swimming pool, women with guns and rednecks playing with antimatter. It starts with A Hymn Before Battle, and really gets going with Gust Front. I'd recommend it for any male above the age of 12. Seriously, this is a great series, and one of the few alien invasion stories that actually makes sense.

Kratman, by the way, really goes to town on the Tranzis in his new series about a theoretical Space Panamanian (Balboan) mercenary company on a planet called Nova Terra. The A Desert Called Peace/Carnifex series takes place on a planet populated with deadly flora and fauna that are hostile to intelligent life, like progressivines, tranzitrees, etc. Earth is basically a Tranzi playground, where Amnesty International trades slaves and troublesome populations have all been shipped to Nova Terra. Nova Terra is basically Earth in the late 90's/early noughts. The Salafis are going to war against the USA equivalent, and the Balboans are hired to fight them. Good fun, particularly the wood chipper.

terry_freeman on April 13, 2010, 12:19:21 am
QUOTE: One of the male conservative students spoke about an incident that happened to him when Obama and Clinton were both trying to secure the Democrat nomination.  Obama was coming to the school and another student came up to him all excited and said to him.  "So are you excited to have Obama coming here to the school?"  "Are you going to go to the rally and see him?"   "Not really."  He replies "I'm not going to the rally."  The liberal student says to him "Really, I never knew you were that big of a Hillary Clinton supporter."

Love the story. Now you know how I feel about folks who assume that I must be enthusiastic about voting for Evil Candidate D or Evil Candidate R.

It's like a rape victim: you must choose orifice A or B.

My answer: Mu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28negative%29

wdg3rd on April 13, 2010, 07:55:04 am

It's like a rape victim: you must choose orifice A or B.

Rape victims (along with taxpayers) are rarely given a choice.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Rocketman on April 13, 2010, 10:12:24 am
I've said this before, in that case my choice is C.  If only a Republican or Democract is running my choice which I write underneath is "none of the above".  If a Libertarian or Constitution party candidate is on the ballot I vote for them.  (Libertarian has preference) and I will usually at least give an independant candidate the benefit ot the doubt if I don't know anything about him or her.
  Some people think I'm wasting my vote, well it MY VOTE to waste and at least I can look in the mirror the next morning and know that my vote won't be sending America down to it's doom.   :'(

sams on April 13, 2010, 10:28:53 am
I've said this before, in that case my choice is C.  If only a Republican or Democract is running my choice which I write underneath is "none of the above".  If a Libertarian or Constitution party candidate is on the ballot I vote for them.  (Libertarian has preference) and I will usually at least give an independant candidate the benefit ot the doubt if I don't know anything about him or her.
  Some people think I'm wasting my vote, well it MY VOTE to waste and at least I can look in the mirror the next morning and know that my vote won't be sending America down to it's doom.   :'(

But you are then splinting the Conservative Vote !  :-[ and helping tha filthy democrat get elected  >:(

The only effective way of being an impact is not to vote or court the morons in office to do the right thing .... but to change the opinion of the public .... in this EFT, Reason magazine, Cato or who ever who carry any libertarian message is doing his part !

Sure the gang D-R rape won't end in the US so sooonn .... Sorry but I just remenbered that my local dictator decide to confiscate 10% of my income through inflation .... gotta go hide that wealth somewhere I will never afford the ticket to the US were .... I can then be gang rapped by R-D's .... who is the moron who said that life was fair  :'(

Rocketman on April 13, 2010, 02:29:19 pm
But you are then splinting the Conservative Vote !  :-[ and helping tha filthy democrat get elected  >:(
 Are you actually serious??!!  >:(  
Don't you realize that if I do what your suggesting that I'm helping a filthy republican get in instead?

The only effective way of being an impact is not to vote or court the morons in office to do the right thing .... but to change the opinion of the public .... in this EFT, Reason magazine, Cato or who ever who carry any libertarian message is doing his part !  
 Sams, appearently you don't know me but I've been a Libertarian Party county chairman and a vice-presidential speechwriter for the 1992 presidential election.  I spent 13 years in the LP trenches fighting to "change the opinion of the public".    Can you honestly say that your not going to vote for a filthy democrat but for a republican that is going to fund bigger more intrustive government, strip Americans of their GOD given rights and get us into more undeclared wars and feel good about yourself the next morning?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:30:58 pm by Rocketman »

sams on April 14, 2010, 02:10:01 am
But you are then splinting the Conservative Vote !  :-[ and helping tha filthy democrat get elected  >:(
 Are you actually serious??!!  >:(  
Don't you realize that if I do what your suggesting that I'm helping a filthy republican get in instead?

Sams, appearently you don't know me but I've been a Libertarian Party county chairman and a vice-presidential speechwriter for the 1992 presidential election.  I spent 13 years in the LP trenches fighting to "change the opinion of the public".    Can you honestly say that your not going to vote for a filthy democrat but for a republican that is going to fund bigger more intrustive government, strip Americans of their GOD given rights and get us into more undeclared wars and feel good about yourself the next morning?

Sorry for not having failed in the tone of my joke ;D

I appreciate your work and it is exactly the kind of stuff that matter really :) Sorry

Azure Priest on April 14, 2010, 08:08:09 am
Teabaggers are members of  a movement to limit or repeal taxes and limit government spending.  Their stated goal is to limit the power and size of government.  This movement proudly identifies with the Boston Tea Party.  These people believe in a strong central government.  They are "statists".  While TransProgs use the term "Teabaggers" with derision.  Teabaggers carry their name with pride.

Correction: The name of the movement is "TEA PARTYERS" as referenced in the US history, where a group of colonists, disguised as "Indians" poured all the tea in Boston into the harbor to protests King George's iron fisted tax policy on the colonies. AKA "taxation without representation." While the tax itself was small, the idea that King George or some "nobles" in Brittain could pass the tax without the colonists' concerns being given any voice or creed (look at how "health care" was "passed") really stuck in the craw of the founders. The incident became known as the "BOSTON TEA PARTY."

The term "Tea Baggers," which the Obama cronies like to use, is a vulgar term for a (perverse) sexual act. It's a high handed, undisguised attempt to marginalize the 60-80% of the American people (depending on which poll you visit) who oppose OBAMACARE both in the content of the legislation and the methods used to pass it against the will of the people.

Previous to this thread, I have not heard the name "TRANSPROG," but considering which sexual lifestyles these people are on record as actively supporting (anything less in their eyes is "judgemental" and "intollerant/ bigoted," if not "homophobic.") the term seems to fit.

Rocketman on April 14, 2010, 09:25:30 am

Sorry for not having failed in the tone of my joke ;D

I appreciate your work and it is exactly the kind of stuff that matter really :) Sorry
  Apology accepted Sams.  I think I too probably made too much out of the comment and for that I apologize to you as well.   :-[

pendothrax on April 14, 2010, 05:30:23 pm
Not to be critical, but the last Libertarian Party candidate i saw was a failed republican with support for the war on common sense(drugs), severe anti gay tendencies, and just alot of more standard republican baggage than libertarian principles.  What i have seen tends to have the political party moving well away from the philosophy involved.  Perhaps we should start over with the KYFHO party?    see the following link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_Paul_Wilson

Frank B. on April 14, 2010, 08:35:20 pm
Not to be critical, but the last Libertarian Party candidate i saw was a failed republican with support for the war on common sense(drugs), severe anti gay tendencies, and just alot of more standard republican baggage than libertarian principles.  What i have seen tends to have the political party moving well away from the philosophy involved.  Perhaps we should start over with the KYFHO party?    see the following link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_Paul_Wilson

This is the problem with political parties, their prime function is to win elections.  What the LP has gone through is neither surprising, nor appears to be avoidable.   As the Whig party evolved into the Republican party, so could the LP evolve into a new "conservative" party.  Oy.

terry_freeman on April 15, 2010, 12:28:22 am
I also have spent a lot of years in the trenches, trying to "win" by political means. Ask the Pittsburgh and Orange County Libertarian Party organizations, which I chaired at different times.

Eventually, I realized that I was fighting the wrong battle. The way to downsize government is unlikely to be the election of "good" candidates - even if we could find a few hundred solid libertarian candidates.

The real power of the government is not in the White House, it is not in the halls of Congress; it is not the police, nor the military.

The power of the government is in the consent given by the people who outnumber the government 100 to 1. Without that consent, that willingness to "move along, there's nothing to see here", the government would be powerless.

To that end, I have been promoting self-empowerment. Teach your own children. Do not send them to government schools. Defend yourself. Do not call 9-1-1 for help. Get to know your neighbors, and rely upon them instead. Provide for your financial security with your own efforts and your own voluntary associations.

When enough of us do that, it will become obvious that we have no need for the government. We will withdraw consent en masse.

sams on April 15, 2010, 04:43:14 am
elections are not the PRIME METHOD of changing society .... they just happen to confirm changes

The only effective way is to triumph Libertarian ideals in culture and academic .... then one day ... this will reflect in a weird election when 25% of congress are fierce anarchist and POTUS is Libertarian

But lets not forget that elections are a great way of exposing libertarian ideals, while Ron Paul knows that He will never be elected POTUS, he run to take advantage of all the free publicity and give the US a raw dose of Libertarianism

Rocketman on April 15, 2010, 06:28:38 pm
In the 2008 election I didn't vote for Bob Barr, the LP candidate.  I held my nose and voted for Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party.  I still suspect that Barr obtained the nomination just so he could do some payback to the political party that helped kick him out of congress in the first place and his having seen the "light of liberty" so to speak was just an act.  He sure didn't do much campaigning after his LP nomination win.  His statist roots (drug "warrior" and so on)  as far as I'm concerned just simply go too deep for him to change his stripes overnight like that.  >:(

anything