John DeWitt on February 05, 2010, 05:21:19 am
Your Big Heads got more Press than any scam in history.
;D

SandySandfort on February 05, 2010, 08:40:12 am
;D

You caught me. The title of the short story from which this arc was derived, is BIG HEAD. It was a tip-o-the-hat to Big Head Press that made me giggle when I wrote it. In writing, inspiration often comes from the oddest places...

Frank B. on February 05, 2010, 11:27:48 am
;D

You caught me. The title of the short story from which this arc was derived, is BIG HEAD. It was a tip-o-the-hat to Big Head Press that made me giggle when I wrote it. In writing, inspiration often comes from the oddest places...

I've always liked to think that Tobi is me with Bill Gates money.   8)   It's certainly the sort of thing I would be doing if I had Bill Gates money.

Rocketman on February 05, 2010, 03:12:45 pm
Just had an interesting flashback that some here might find amusing.  Remember when Bill Clinton was in office towards the end of his second term and the justice department was going after Microsoft for anti-trust violations?  If I had been Gates I would have held a press conference and told the press something like this.  "I'm a businessman and if you know anything about me you know that I try to stay out of politics."  "Unfortunately, because of the size of my company, that is simply no longer possible."  "The U.S. government is trying to force me to break up my company which is something that I'm simply not going to do."  "So what I'm going to do is this."  "We are moving our main operations out of the Seattle area and going to Vancouver B. C. where the United States government can no longer interfere or gain any tax revenue from us."  "I also have a little goodbye present to the Clinton administration that started these attacks."  "I have spoken to the Russian government and President Yeltsin has sold me for a considerable sum, a copy of the KGB report on Bill Clinton from the times that he was a student protestor."  "Even as I speak these words, it's going on line to every newspaper, magazine, television and radio station in this country."  "Payback's a bitch."   ;D

Scott on February 06, 2010, 05:20:16 pm
I've always liked to think that Tobi is me with Bill Gates money.

I guess that makes me Arana with a patron a lot less wealthy than Bill Gates.  :-\

Frank B. on February 06, 2010, 07:02:52 pm
I've always liked to think that Tobi is me with Bill Gates money.

I guess that makes me Arana with a patron a lot less wealthy than Bill Gates.  :-\

Cool.  What kind of ink you going to get done? ;)

Azure Priest on February 08, 2010, 07:22:55 am
Just had an interesting flashback that some here might find amusing.  Remember when Bill Clinton was in office towards the end of his second term and the justice department was going after Microsoft for anti-trust violations?  If I had been Gates I would have held a press conference and told the press something like this.  "I'm a businessman and if you know anything about me you know that I try to stay out of politics."  "Unfortunately, because of the size of my company, that is simply no longer possible."  "The U.S. government is trying to force me to break up my company which is something that I'm simply not going to do."  "So what I'm going to do is this."  "We are moving our main operations out of the Seattle area and going to Vancouver B. C. where the United States government can no longer interfere or gain any tax revenue from us."  "I also have a little goodbye present to the Clinton administration that started these attacks."  "I have spoken to the Russian government and President Yeltsin has sold me for a considerable sum, a copy of the KGB report on Bill Clinton from the times that he was a student protestor."  "Even as I speak these words, it's going on line to every newspaper, magazine, television and radio station in this country."  "Payback's a bitch."   ;D

At which point he would have gotten a tomato (or several) in the face. It's what happened the very last press conference he had. Must have been Apple "geniuses" or Steve Jobes groupies.

Rocketman on February 08, 2010, 10:32:46 am

At which point he would have gotten a tomato (or several) in the face. It's what happened the very last press conference he had. Must have been Apple "geniuses" or Steve Jobes groupies.
Maybe, but the one thing that I do know is that not nearly enough politicians understand "Blowback" that is to say the full conquences on one actions.  If they did, then I believe that a lot of them would at least think a little bit before they pull a bonehead move like forcing a huge company like Microsoft to break itself apart.  The only LEGITIMATE function that the government is to 1)provide a criminal justice system to protect the citizens of this country and 2) to provide a military defense for the same purpose and that's it.

quadibloc on February 09, 2010, 12:32:28 am
The only LEGITIMATE function that the government is to 1)provide a criminal justice system to protect the citizens of this country and 2) to provide a military defense for the same purpose and that's it.
Antitrust actions can be considered part of (1), particularly if one looks at the behavior of companies like Standard Oil which led up to those laws being enacted; and social welfare measures, in the context of the Cold War, were arguably part of (2), to counter propaganda that the Soviet Union had the more humane system... and to make it harder for demagogues to stir up the poor and obtain traction for an overthrow of the existing democratic government.

dough560 on February 16, 2010, 04:36:27 am
Yeah, and look how that worked out.

Rocketman on February 16, 2010, 09:58:05 am
Yeah, and look how that worked out.
 What he said.  Quad, the reason that Standard Oil was broken up was because America at that time didn't have enough government but that it had too much.  If your a big corporation you can always get business through intimidation, bribery and knowing the right people who can do favors for you so that later on you can do favors for them.  All things being equal a small nimble company that has a good CEO can always do better than a giant one that is inflexible.  And don't even let me get started on how much government that we have today as opposed to what we had then.   >:(

dough560 on February 17, 2010, 04:08:18 am
Take a look at our criminal and tax law.  They're not about protecting the public, but about establishing dominance and control.  They are written to give the government.and their friends advantages in the market and limit competition.

anything