Rocketman on January 18, 2010, 08:18:34 pm
There are self help groups for individuals that have gambling problems, drug problems, alcohol problems and a variety of other human frailities that are rightly classified as mental illnesses but where are the treatment centers for people who unreasonably crave power for its own sake?  Somehow I don't think that many of those people think that they actually have a problem and would probably never consider for a second getting treatment.  And so the rest of us suffer.   :'(

Azure Priest on January 19, 2010, 07:56:29 am
Not only that, but people even SUGGESTING they have a problem, tend to have BAD THINGS happen to them.

Gillsing on January 19, 2010, 11:27:32 pm
A normally decent person selected to be president with the attitude "it's a dirty job but someone's got to do it" could do as much damage as a psychopath.
Indeed. I remember hearing about a medieval pope* which was elected because he seemed to be very decent and pious, but then he turned out to be just as bad as his predecessor, if not worse. Though I guess that might've been more of a case of absolute power corrupting absolutely rather than a road to hell being paved with good intentions.

In any case, simple solutions aren't always the best solutions. Ideally we'd be able to hold any ruler responsible for whatever they do, but if they could expect punishment on the scale that they might deserve, no one would ever take the job. Or rather, only fanatics would take the job, and be willing to risk everything just to move their agenda forwards. So there's another simple solution shot down in flames.

* I don't remember which particular pope it was, but I heard it on the History According to Bob podcast.
I'm a slacker, hear me snore...

terry_freeman on January 20, 2010, 10:47:19 am
I once read about a tribe which would elect a king who was given absolute power - up to the moment when the tribe killed him and elected a replacement. 

In short, he could order the tribe to do anything up to the point where his own life became forfeit.

Brugle on January 20, 2010, 11:34:04 am
I vaguely recall a story where someone lands on a planet and (not knowing any better) becomes the ruler, identified by a medallion.  The catch is, if some (3?) people simultaneously indicate (by pushing a button?) their displeasure, the medallion kills the ruler.  The only way to retire from the job is to find a replacement.

quadibloc on January 20, 2010, 09:08:55 pm
I enjoyed the P. T. Barnum reference in today's strip. I suppose that if a bee is welcoming them to the hotel, they might think of a rare bird.

Sean Roach on January 20, 2010, 09:28:53 pm
Silly me, I'd forgotten all about that story.
Of course, one could argue they're standing in front of the egress, it's the entrance they want.

SandySandfort on January 20, 2010, 11:04:13 pm
Silly me, I'd forgotten all about that story.
Of course, one could argue they're standing in front of the egress, it's the entrance they want.

Doris meant the exit from the docking chamber.

quadibloc on January 21, 2010, 04:10:13 am
Every exit is also an entrance; which may be something deep and philosophical.

wdg3rd on January 21, 2010, 07:04:55 am
Every exit is also an entrance; which may be something deep and philosophical.

"Severe Tire Damage" can be very deep and philosophical.  Plenty of one-way entrances/exits in the NYC subway system.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

ObscureDragom on February 02, 2010, 10:28:37 pm
Those good folks working on life extension technology need to hurry the hell up before we all kick the bucket. Yeppers.
If you can convince the wife to step one month closer to menopause and donate an egg, you can donate a living skin cell, swap the nuclei of the cells giving you a batch of Embryonic Stem Cells with your own DNA.  It probably wouldn't be rejected and it done without the abortion even!
Now small amounts of bone, blood, tissue and organ specific Stem Cells live in adults.  Aging could be what happens when they wear out and Cancer could be what happens when they glitch.
So by injecting those now Politically Correct Stem Cells in a spread throughout your body might reverse the aging thing, dramatically enhance potential life span and regeneration and increase your chance of cancer considerably.
Sounds sweet doesn't it?

Well that's what the whole deal looks like to me anyway.

anything