Sio on January 11, 2010, 11:21:00 am
OMG, it's a shrine of the First Latitudinarian Church of Celebrity Saints, displaying the visage of the great Gigastar, Elvis Aaron Presley!  *swoon* (pass collection plate)

Meanwhile, Buddy Holly is on Ganymede, playing his guitar on all TV stations, looking bored.

http://manybooks.net/titles/dentonbother09buddy_holly_is_alive_and_well.html

Scott on January 11, 2010, 01:31:11 pm
Heh. Many years ago, I wrote a branching story (back when those things were supposed to be the Next Big Thing in Fiction) about a future society where we have  The Church of the Apocalypso -- based on worship of the Heavy Seven: Elvis, Buddy Holly, Bob Marley, Janis Joplin, John Lennon, Keith Moon, and Mama Cass. Pop legends who had died before their time.

The current story, mind you, has nothing to do with that travesty I wrote back when -- but sometimes the C of A still haunts my dreams.   :'(

quadibloc on January 12, 2010, 05:44:02 am
Except for the fact that even the UW can't censor the Tanglenet, my pedestrian guess would be that "Elvis" song contained hidden, coded instructions on how to build a Tanglenet Transporter (from Tobi, of course) that are now on over half the VCRs on Earth. Or that the Big Revelation is coming up tomorrow, without too much more delay, now that it's all been revealed to be a prank... before everyone in the Solar System finishes turning away in disgust.

Sio on January 12, 2010, 08:16:19 am
The F.L.C.C.S., otherwise known as the Flacks, is an old and venal...I mean, venerable, institution of John Varley's "Eight Worlds" series of stories and books.  Another book that has "celebrity saints" in it is Neil Stephenson's "Snow Crash".  "Reverend Wayne's Pearly Gates'" franchise church had three icons in it: Jesus, Elvis and the Reverend Wayne.  There seems to be a lot of that going around.

Sean Roach on January 12, 2010, 11:32:51 am
I recently checked out the first brain-ships book from the library.  It was written as a bunch of serial short stories in the 60's and 70's.  One of them had as a significant supporting character a "Dylanist".  A proselytizer, who used a guitar and vocal music to get her point across.

wdg3rd on January 13, 2010, 05:50:03 pm
There's also the Rev in the late Bob Asprin's Phule's Company et seq, chaplain to the group, who's from a church (I forget the name, the books are downstairs and my knee is acting up) in which most of the preachers and many of the members have cosmetic surgery to look more like their prophet.

I realized decades back that if there was ever a nukular (official presidential pronunciation, even by Carter who was a Nuclear Engineer in the Navy) war the only survivors would be cockroaches, Elvis and Western Electric (the manufacturing arm of the OLD Ma Bell) telephones.

The day before yesterday was my first attendance at a semi-religious ceremony in several years.  Orthodox funeral home in Brooklyn then a drive out to damn near the end of Long Island for the burial at Calverton National Cemetery.  My closest friend, husband for the past 20 years to my first wife, lover of my current wife of 12 years (18 if you count the 6 we shacked up after Mike and Naomi introduced us), more than a brother ever could be.  Michael Moslow, who in fact was a roommate of Samuel Edward Konkin III during the time the New Libertarian Manifesto was written.  (I knew Sam for 15 years before I came east)  I doubt many others here knew Mike (he rarely crossed the Hudson), but I know there are several around here who knew SEK3.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Sean Roach on January 13, 2010, 08:21:59 pm
Sorry to hear you lost a friend.

Also sorry to hear there won't be any more Phule's Company books, though the last one was weak...Jester was written as out of touch.

Scott on January 14, 2010, 09:41:47 am
Those good folks working on life extension technology need to hurry the hell up before we all kick the bucket. Yeppers.

Sio on January 15, 2010, 10:12:40 am
Hm.  Okay, not a burger stand.  I wasn't thinking big enough.  But I was on the right track.

dough560 on January 16, 2010, 12:40:36 am
Take a look at a quantum shift in medical technology.  Travis Taylor's "Warp Speed" and "Quantum Connection".  I suspect the next major shift in medical technology will not be chemical, but mechanical.  Anyone want to make a sucker's bet, the powers that be will do anything and everything possible to control and restrict any and all technologies regarding life extension.

terry_freeman on January 16, 2010, 08:13:42 pm
Life extension tech will be supressed, sort of like the ARM novels. Bad for the plebes to get hold of it.

Rocketman on January 16, 2010, 09:11:59 pm
I've often thought that once medical science becomes advanced enough that animal genes would be spliced together in human beings not terribly unlike the X-men.  You would have for example, individuals with the eyes and grace of a cat, or the hollow bones and wings of birds that could fly or at least soar off of a cliff.  The would form bands of like minded beings who also have the same abilities and rather than countries they would be loyal to their "clans".  The religious right will go apes**t but some people who are in a position of power already think that the nation state as it currently exists is on it's way out.  If you doubt that just think for a minute at the wonderful job that they've done so far at running things.

OPossumTX on January 18, 2010, 11:21:10 am
The problem with government is that people keep electing people who want to be elected.   :o

Rocketman on January 18, 2010, 11:27:55 am
The problem with government is that people keep electing people who want to be elected.   :o
  An extremely good point Possum.  I don't have a clue how you could enforce it but there should be a law that anyone wanting to be president is automatically barred from ever running for the job.  ???

Brugle on January 18, 2010, 12:22:18 pm
  An extremely good point Possum.  I don't have a clue how you could enforce it but there should be a law that anyone wanting to be president is automatically barred from ever running for the job.  ???

I'd guess that government would not be quite as destructive if rulers did not enjoy pushing other people around, but I doubt that it would make much difference.  A normally decent person selected to be president with the attitude "it's a dirty job but someone's got to do it" could do as much damage as a psychopath.

anything