Who made the artifact?

Actual alien beings
1 (5.6%)
The UW
2 (11.1%)
A practical joker
9 (50%)
Someone with a nefarious plan (not the UW)
6 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Frank B. on January 14, 2010, 09:38:09 pm
Imagine if all children had to pay back their parents their own cost of Gestation, Room and Board, Parenting and Education.
It's called, having kids of your own. The original "pay forward."

Another way to consider it is, when somebody gives you something you didn't ask for, it is a gift (no payback owed even if it is something you were glad to get).  That you may feel obligated to do something in return is love, not the settlement of an agreement.

quadibloc on January 14, 2010, 11:52:03 pm
Actually that is more like a form of indentured servitude.
When I think of indentured servitude, I usually think of a relationship that is assumed voluntarily, such as the way apprenticeship to a trade worked in the days of guilds. People were born into serfdom. Of course, it could well be argued that the status of a serf under feudalism differs only in degree, not in kind, from that of a citizen in a modern democracy, subject to taxation and conscription. The fact that the members of a democracy choose their own government by voting for it, and in addition are free to leave the country if another country will have them, I would claim, has some significance, although I accept it isn't enough from a Libertarian or minarchist or anarcho-capitalist viewpoint. Particularly as that second freedom, important to counter the argument that a government that can tax is like ten people beating someone up and taking his wallet, has a reduced practical meaning, since most countries regard themselves as largely full - although even people from poor countries are allowed into most industrialized democracies, if they will brave long waiting lists.

Oh, yes: the choice of song certainly makes me think of Tobi. He actually has a world of his own to welcome people to.

quadibloc on January 15, 2010, 12:06:22 am
And in today's page... we are now given reason to think that perhaps Fiorella was teasing about having perfect pitch, because we now see that she is a movie fan.

Azure Priest on January 15, 2010, 06:59:49 am
HAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAAA!!! I nearly fell out of my chair! Oh that is just too much. Well done, Sandy. Well done indeed.

SandySandfort on January 15, 2010, 07:51:28 am
HAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAAA!!! I nearly fell out of my chair! Oh that is just too much. Well done, Sandy. Well done indeed.

Thank you, sir. Kudos should also go to script writer Scott. He distills wordy prose down to its essence, contributes scenes and schedules things just right. Also, Lee. His art work puts flesh on what Scott and I do. He has made EFT real.

GeoModder on January 15, 2010, 12:23:53 pm
My God, it's full of stars!!!  :D

I knew it!  :D

enemyofthestate on January 16, 2010, 11:02:06 pm
Can we expect the Energizer Bunny next?

Curses! Foiled again!
Yeah.  I see you swapped the bunny out for Elvis at the last minute :-)

Scott on January 17, 2010, 02:01:16 am
Yeah.  I see you swapped the bunny out for Elvis at the last minute :-)

I know you're kidding, but just for the record:

The original short story "Big Head" from which this arc is adapted, was written more than a year ago.  My comic script adaptation for this week was completed last October 3. Lee finished the art for this page shortly before Thanksgiving, and I lettered and uploaded the strip on December 4.

We believe in buffers. (Actually we're about a week behind in our schedule and are working to catch up). So no, we don't adjust the script to deal with comments in the forum.

Azure Priest on January 22, 2010, 08:05:49 am
So was REGGIE behind it all? It would explain how he knew that the "ad nauseum" signal would work.

GeoModder on January 22, 2010, 11:32:23 am
Just wondering, is Reggie a Maori or a Pacific islander from origin?

Rocketman on January 22, 2010, 12:08:04 pm
Sandy only knows for sure, but I got the impression that he was neither.  An african-american who has had some cryptic comments about how old he reallly is and what kind of past mistakes continue to haunt him.

SandySandfort on January 22, 2010, 02:29:01 pm
Sandy only knows for sure, but I got the impression that he was neither.  An african-american who has had some cryptic comments about how old he reallly is and what kind of past mistakes continue to haunt him.

Reggie, originally came from the UK. He is a "black," but only in the sense that we use that term for the vast majority of mixed race people. Most of his ancestry is from Africa, but with more than a dash of Anglo-Saxon.

GeoModder on January 24, 2010, 04:56:13 am
He sure must be a very wealthy individual if he at the very least can participate in financing an amusement park and converting two asteroids to statues.
Makes me wonder why the heck he's still holding sermon services on Ceres.

SandySandfort on January 24, 2010, 09:25:14 am
He sure must be a very wealthy individual if he at the very least can participate in financing an amusement park and converting two asteroids to statues.
Makes me wonder why the heck he's still holding sermon services on Ceres.

Wealthy? Reggie would say he is "comfortable." He certainly does not have the kind of money it would take to finance an amusement park or to convert three asteroids to statues. Hmm, what the heck is going on here?   ::)

GeoModder on January 25, 2010, 09:10:23 am
Ouch, I forgot about da King.  :D

Well, he's at least involved to some degree. I don't see any other 3D participants in the director's meeting room.

anything