jamming on December 03, 2009, 02:45:32 am
Because a laser is not ballistic, how about aiming solution.
ballistic [bəˈlɪstɪk]
adj
1. (Physics / General Physics) of or relating to ballistics
2. (Physics / General Physics) denoting or relating to the flight of projectiles after power has been cut off, moving under their own momentum and the external forces of gravity and air resistance
3. (Physics / General Physics) (of a measurement or measuring instrument) depending on a brief impulse or current that causes a movement related to the quantity to be measured a ballistic pendulum
 :D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 02:52:45 am by jamming »

SandySandfort on December 03, 2009, 06:55:39 am

How about re-reading the strip. There was no reference to a ballistic solution for the lasers.

quadibloc on December 03, 2009, 07:43:26 am
The intention is presumably to compensate for the natural motion of the Alpha Relentless. Given that a laser moves rather quickly, presumably that solution allows the laser to track better, but will not be vitiated by the fact that the vessel has rockets and can change course.

SandySandfort on December 03, 2009, 08:39:29 am
The intention is presumably to compensate for the natural motion of the Alpha Relentless. Given that a laser moves rather quickly, presumably that solution allows the laser to track better, but will not be vitiated by the fact that the vessel has rockets and can change course.

Arrrg! Read the strip! This has nothing to do with the damned lasers!:

"OK, LASERS ARE HOT. BETTER ALSO HAVE THE STAKE FIRING COMPUTER GET A BALLISTIC SOLUTION FOR THAT ALPHA." (Emphasis added)

Azure Priest on December 03, 2009, 08:52:54 am
It's amazing that the captain of the Alpha Relentless doesn't know about the PC regulations either, Tsk Tsk.

And as our good author is so clearly pointing out, THE STAKES ARE BALLISTIC, not the lasers. She's getting ready to shoot those too, should the need arise.

quadibloc on December 03, 2009, 07:34:42 pm
Silly me. I had thought that lasers were the only weapons on that ship, so the issue was that if ballistics did not apply to them, they would apply to the Alpha Relentless. I hadn't even considered the possibility that her ship was armed for vampires; my eyes skipped right over the word "stake"; perhaps I thought her lasers were made by Stake Industries or something.

But then, the United World does exist by vampirism... and, of course, it makes sense that one would want to have something with which to drag pieces of asteroid home.

Sean Roach on December 03, 2009, 08:43:24 pm
Wherever you read "Stake", replace it with "Radio Beacon".
She's getting ready to Stake their claim using a cannon launched beacon.
At least that's the way I'm reading it.

dough560 on December 04, 2009, 05:54:53 am
Depending on energy imparted to a kinetic projectile and the construction of the intended target, a solid projectile can be as or more destructive than an explosive one.  The navy is preparing to field a magnetic rife to replace the 16 inch rifles on the battleships.  The projected payloads are all non-explosive, yet will do more damage at longer ranges than a 2500 pound shell from a 16 inch rifle/cannon.

Many tools are easily adapted as weapons.  It depends on the imagination of the user.  8)

Whether a weapon is used, depends on the maturity and good will of the user.  It depends whether a person is willing to kill another.  Motivation matters.  Why kill?  Some of us will never have to make the decision.  Others, already have.

Perceptions can lead you to strange places.  Many times perceptions are not facts.  If you only act on perceptions, you'll end up standing on air.  You know what happens then. ;)

Rocketman on December 04, 2009, 09:33:47 am

Many tools are easily adapted as weapons.  It depends on the imagination of the user.  8)

Whether a weapon is used, depends on the maturity and good will of the user.  It depends whether a person is willing to kill another.  Motivation matters.  Why kill?  Some of us will never have to make the decision.  Others, already have.

Reminds me of the T-shirt saying "The guns are only the tools."  "I am the weapon"  ;)

GeoModder on December 04, 2009, 10:47:32 am
Reminds me of the T-shirt saying "The guns are only the tools."  "I am the weapon"  ;)

"The trigger did it!"  :D

NeitherRuleNorBeRuled on December 04, 2009, 04:10:18 pm

But the photons it emits are ballistic:

ballistic [bəˈlɪstɪk]
[...]
2. (Physics / General Physics) denoting or relating to the flight of projectiles after power has been cut off, moving under their own momentum and the external forces of gravity and air resistance

Not that the comic's reference to ballistics had anything to do with the laser  ;)

Sio on December 07, 2009, 08:59:23 am
You're all trying too hard.  Even though the lasers aren't ballistic, the TARGET IS, and so is the ship the lasers are ON.

Scott on December 07, 2009, 11:28:01 pm
Some people just don't pay attention.

Sandy Sandfort, the story's author, pointed out that the term "ballistic solution" applied to the stake-firing control, not the lasers. Stakes can be used to plant a marker claiming an asteroid, or sometimes might be used to anchor tethers allowing a ship to anchor itself on a body, or tow it to a preferred location. Doris was fibbing a bit by calling those stakes "space torpedos."

jamming on December 07, 2009, 11:55:06 pm
 :-[ Sorry, thought the Stake was a brand name of the Ballistic Computer. I should never read and post if I am sick.

dough560 on December 11, 2009, 04:03:04 am
Why not?  Question asked, comments and opinions shared.  We think about them and try again.  I think we're all here to have fun and maybe stretch our minds a little.  We're people who ask "What If!"  If we don't like the answer we get,  or work out, then we ask " Why Not?"