SandySandfort on December 10, 2009, 10:42:22 am
Terry, your post, as always, was very insightful. Nevertheless you are wrong about one thing:

Nothing in a free economy prevents the accumulation of great wealth - indeed, with the end of death taxes, we are likely to see great family accumulations - but smart family leadership will recognize that the best way to become wealthy is to have good relationships with customers, suppliers, and peers. The market won't be skewed by the Greenspan/Bernanke effect. Bad money drive out good only when people are forced to treat bad money as if it were as good as the alternatives.

Again, there are diseconomies of scale beyond an optimal maximum size/complexity for any endeavor under any form of economic system--from total anarchy to totalitarianism. The principle applies as much to businesses as it does tor countries with top-down central planning. The creation of "virtual" companies within a large corporation, somewhat mitigates the situation, but that can only be taken so far, if the corporation is to continue to exist as a single entity.

The rest of your paragraph correctly, but somewhat irrelevantly, discusses how companies are successful and grow, but it does not address the limits to growth that will still dictate a maximum size for even the "good" companies.

Gillsing on December 11, 2009, 12:40:50 pm
Apparently someone on Earth is diabolically clever.
Indeed they are. They used lasers to shape an asteroid into a moai, and then hollowed it out so they could use it as a hidden base. Space-Bond, where are you? ::)
I'm a slacker, hear me snore...

Sean Roach on December 11, 2009, 01:03:15 pm
I'm thinking the earth shaped it to look like a moai in an effort to discredit the belters.  I think the demand to keep it quiet was a goad, with the stated intention to say later "I told her to keep quiet.  Now we know it's a fake, but because of her a lot of people are now looking for aliens in the sky.  If only she'd done the right thing and kept her council like I asked her."

Well, we'll see.

Rocketman on December 11, 2009, 09:20:26 pm
Did not even consider that possibility.  It's doubtful though because I don't see other than discrediting the people that embarrassed them that it was worth all the trouble to do that.  My guess is that the little prince and that moai carving have something in common.  Just what only Sandy knows and he's not talking at least not yet.

quadibloc on December 12, 2009, 12:03:19 am
I'm thinking the earth shaped it to look like a moai in an effort to discredit the belters.  I think the demand to keep it quiet was a goad, with the stated intention to say later "I told her to keep quiet.  Now we know it's a fake, but because of her a lot of people are now looking for aliens in the sky.  If only she'd done the right thing and kept her council like I asked her."

I would tend to reject that hypothesis on the following grounds: it's an awful lot of trouble to go to just to discredit the belters a tiny little bit - "oh, they're spreading rumors that encourage superstition".

If the belters panic because they don't want Earth to get an alien ultimate weapon, and kill the crews of a couple of "peaceful" UW spaceships, that would achieve the level of discredit needed for the UW to use it as an excuse for war. I have to admit that with it looking like a moai - and having read Thor Heyerdahl's Aku-Aku myself - the probability of a real alien artifact seems to be lower. (However, wilder things have happened in other comics on this site.)

But I'm just noting this as a reasonable theory if it isn't an artifact; I'm not prepared to jump to a conclusion on whether it is or not at this point. (Unlike some other webcomics, I'm worried that hustling for Moxana points would be inappropriate behavior, as with the type of story that's being told here, guessing correctly what will happen next might spoil some of the excitement for others.)

terry_freeman on December 13, 2009, 04:21:42 pm
Saying "there are economies of scale" gives no useful information about _where_ those limits are.

quadibloc on December 15, 2009, 06:24:19 am
Today, Reggie's remark seems to be in the nature of "Famous Last Words", just as yesterday's statement seemed to be likely to end up ironic, so perhaps this is a plot contrived not to be an excuse for war, but merely for revenge against one individual, the captain of the Split-Tail. Not that her second-in-command wouldn't also be someone the UW would like to get hold of.

SandySandfort on December 15, 2009, 06:56:27 am
Today, Reggie's remark seems to be in the nature of "Famous Last Words", just as yesterday's statement seemed to be likely to end up ironic, so perhaps this is a plot contrived not to be an excuse for war, but merely for revenge against one individual, the captain of the Split-Tail. Not that her second-in-command wouldn't also be someone the UW would like to get hold of.

Yes and no, well maybe... but not necessarily in that order.   ::)

quadibloc on December 16, 2009, 06:56:43 am
Yes and no, well maybe... but not necessarily in that order.   ::)

I thought that Reggie's remark was obvious foreshadowing that it was a fake "artifact", but now events on board the Alpha Relentless show that it is a real artifact (or, at least, believed by the captain of the Alpha Relentless to be real). So the UW hasn't mastered reverse psychology yet, but apparently in tomorrow's comic they will show some cleverness after all. It's just one surprising twist after another!

SandySandfort on December 16, 2009, 07:56:31 am
I thought that Reggie's remark was obvious foreshadowing that it was a fake "artifact", but now events on board the Alpha Relentless show that it is a real artifact (or, at least, believed by the captain of the Alpha Relentless to be real). So the UW hasn't mastered reverse psychology yet, but apparently in tomorrow's comic they will show some cleverness after all. It's just one surprising twist after another!

We try. When it gets too obvious, it isn't as much fun. As always, I am impressed by the level of thought given by Forum members to the clues (and false clues) in EFT. Often, the "wrong" answers given by you readers is more clever than the actual ones. So even when you are wrong, you are still right in a way. Please continue to exercise your mental muscle.

quadibloc on December 18, 2009, 01:15:23 am
Please continue to exercise your mental muscle.

("Virtuallly everyone in human space had captured an image of the markings.") Made in China? Or something equivalently hilarious? Well, we'll see soon enough...

Gillsing on December 18, 2009, 05:53:25 pm
Made in China?
Get out of my head!

Edit for new strip: Ohh! It's a treasure hunt!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:31:08 pm by Gillsing »
I'm a slacker, hear me snore...