Azure Priest on September 23, 2009, 06:17:19 am
Well, from today's (Tuesday's) comic, it seems clear that the victim was indeed being subjected to gaslighting, as has been noted by others above - and apparently everyone currently being questioned by Reggie has guilty knowledge of that. it's extremely unlikely that they all conspired to murder him, though, so I presume what happened is either that a prank went wrong... or someone took advantage of the situation to commit murder.

The two obvious possibilities are that the message about the Martians calling to him was forged, and he was dragged out the airlock by force... or that someone poisoned him with some substance like LSD that induces psychotic symptoms - but is difficult to trace.

But we'll see soon enough.

It could easily be both.

Azure Priest on September 25, 2009, 12:34:00 pm
And here's the EUREKA moment. They were looking about guiltily because each of them was afraid that he/she was the "only one" hearing the music.

Rocketman on September 25, 2009, 09:53:29 pm
I thought that it was kind of interesting that one person said that the sound was coming from outside with no one contradicting her.   Mars's atmosphere is so thin that effectively sound couldn't travel through a near vacuum.  ???
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 12:23:21 pm by Rocketman »

SandySandfort on September 26, 2009, 06:55:24 am
I thought that it was kind of interesting that one person said that the sound was coming from outside with no one contradicting him.   Mars's atmosphere is so thin that effectively sound couldn't travel through a near vacuum.  ???

Are There Sounds on Mars?

Given that sound waves need an atmospheric medium through which to travel, many people are surprised to learn that any sounds at all can be heard on Mars. The atmospheric pressure on the surface of the Red Planet is small, amounting to around 0.1 percent of the Earth's sea level pressure. But even at Mars' low pressure, acoustic signals within the frequency range of the human ear can be detected. And while the atmosphere of Mars is very different from Earth's, consisting mostly of carbon dioxide, there are similarities between these environments that should make the sound data worthwhile.

Rocketman on September 26, 2009, 12:22:47 pm
That does surprise me Sandy.  Am I correct in assuming that the lower pressure would also mean that the sound would not carry as far as sound on Earth would?  It would seem that way to me.  ;D

SandySandfort on September 26, 2009, 02:58:25 pm
That does surprise me Sandy.  Am I correct in assuming that the lower pressure would also mean that the sound would not carry as far as sound on Earth would?  It would seem that way to me.  ;D

That is correct! Give the man a cigar. Several sources say that the sound pitch would be pretty much the same (actually, a tad lower). However, the sounds would not carry nearly as far. The example given, is that a lawnmower can be heard for up to mile on earth, but would only go a hundred feet or so on Mars, before it would be too faint to here.

Azure Priest on October 01, 2009, 12:17:55 am
Poor, gullible Reggie. He's presuming that the consequence is unintended. At least, he's gotten them to open up.

SandySandfort on October 01, 2009, 06:31:41 am
Poor, gullible Reggie. He's presuming that the consequence is unintended. At least, he's gotten them to open up.

Don't underestimate Reggie, and don't presume to know what he presumes. He has dealt with human nature for a very long time.

Azure Priest on October 02, 2009, 03:20:54 am

Don't underestimate Reggie, and don't presume to know what he presumes. He has dealt with human nature for a very long time.

I can't get into his head. Only the author can do that. I can only read his "spoken" statements and track record. Considering that alone, the term "gullible" still applies.

terry_freeman on October 02, 2009, 06:18:35 am
The older I get, the less interested I am in showing off my capabilities; it's young people who engage in such mating displays of plumage. Reggie has been around long enough to let other people show off.

Azure Priest on October 08, 2009, 04:27:53 am
The older I get, the less interested I am in showing off my capabilities; it's young people who engage in such mating displays of plumage. Reggie has been around long enough to let other people show off.

Not any more... LOL!

ObscureDragom on October 09, 2009, 02:02:04 am
I call no CO2 scrubber on the auditory and visual hallucinations.

Azure Priest on October 09, 2009, 02:27:24 am
I call no CO2 scrubber on the auditory and visual hallucinations.

Or something far, far worse.

ObscureDragom on October 09, 2009, 02:48:23 am
There is something else actually and it doesn't relate directly to malfunctioning equipment.

Behold:

http://www.prisoncommission.org/statements/grassian_stuart_long.pdf

Azure Priest on October 15, 2009, 03:01:04 am
Bwahahahaa! NEVER TEMPT FATE, REGGIE! Either Reggie has the strongest mind/will in existence or is a genuine wacko! Having salient conversations with hallucinations is NEVER a good sign. It's even worse when they turn "dark" like this. The human mind is a strange and wonderous thing. Although there is "nothing" there, if the brain BELIEVES that an "alien" is feasting on your flesh, it can MANIFEST wounds, even kill you. Reggie is in real danger here.

As for his "I don't believe in that Jimmy Carter... crap." statement he made earlier, Jimmy Carter didn't make that rule, JESUS did. For a "man of the cloth," Reggie doesn't seem to know his King James very well.

The tenth commandment (Old Testament, B.C.) also frowns upon COVETING, and that's what fantasizing about another man's "girl" is.

The very fact that he argued with the hallucination about it, means at least some small part of him knows it's wrong, but he refuses to admit it.

Now I'm not saying it's wrong to find a woman attractive, even if she's someone else's "girl," but fantasizing about her is dangerous, and has lead to much death, destruction, and mayhem.

That applies in the other direction too, ladies. Fantasizing about some other woman's "guy" is just as bad.

anything