Scott on September 13, 2009, 12:48:44 am
Norman Borlaug, the scientist mentioned in ESCAPE FROM TERRA as being responsible for the life-saving "Green Revolution," died Sept. 12 in his Dallas, Texas home due to complications from cancer. He was 95.

There's an Associated Press write-up about him that someone found here.  (Honestly, I don't peruse the MSNBC site, Eric Dixon, one of my Facebook friends, liked to it.)

Amendall on September 13, 2009, 01:04:45 pm
He will be missed.

People are the fount of all wisdom, invention, creativity, and possibility.  We are much better off with more people.

Those pathetic creatures who believe that people are too many should also like Borlaug.  The only thing that has ever been shown to significantly reduce numbers is a higher standard of living.  By pulling people out of subsistence poverty, Borlaug did more to raise their standards of living than anyone else.

quadibloc on September 14, 2009, 07:48:42 am
It's not all that surprising that more people know about monsters like Mao and Pol Pot than about benefactors of humanity like Norman Borlaug.

For those who directly benefited from his actions, gratitude may be inconvenient. The Green Revolution was helped along by the U.S. government, and in much of the Third World, anti-Americanism is rife for many reasons.

And it is so much easier to destroy than to create.

But if one wants something really annoying, at least in Canada, more people have heard of Norman Bethune (a doctor who, through a misplaced idealism, provided medical aid to Mao Tse-Tung's forces when they were still rebels) than Norman Borlaug.

paddyfool on September 18, 2009, 07:50:40 pm
> Those pathetic creatures who believe that people are too many should also like Borlaug.  The only thing that has ever been
> shown to significantly reduce numbers is a higher standard of living.  By pulling people out of subsistence poverty, Borlaug did
> more to raise their standards of living than anyone else.

I don't want to turn a thread about Borlaug into a political debate, but it's worth pointing out that he, too, was an advocate of family planning programs, voicing concerns from the 60s to the 00s about the rate of population growth.

rclocher3 on September 21, 2009, 11:31:19 am
I'm one of the "pathetic creatures" who thinks that there shouldn't be so many people on this planet, and I admire Norman Borlaug.  And no, I hadn't heard of him before I read about him in EFT.

The Economist posted a nice obituary:
http://www.economist.com/obituary/displaystory.cfm?story_id=14446742

- Rob

anything