dough560 on September 27, 2009, 02:04:39 am
The more things change, the more they stay the same.  Bought a M17 S&W back in the mid 80's.  Had the local smith tune and hard chrome the trigger works.  Over the years I've shot it enough, it needs to go back to S&W for a rebuild.  Funny how that happens when practice sessions consume a brick+ of ammo.  99% of my shooting is double action.  When I'm shooting at full speed, my groups form a horseshoe shape due to the rotation of the cylinder.  At close range you can cover them with a dime.  At 25 yards, generally a little bigger or smaller than a quarter.  Couldn't ask for a better pistol.

Rocketman on September 27, 2009, 04:07:50 pm
I'm in total agreement.  That and the Smith and Wesson model 41 are probably the most accurate .22 pistols that I've ever shot.  You don't see either one of them very often at the used gun case at the local gun shop.  People seem to want to keep them.

dough560 on October 02, 2009, 09:10:34 am
Agreed.  Last few I've seen at gun shows were from estates.  A new 41 runs about $800 -$1000, depending on who is selling.

Rocketman on October 21, 2009, 10:22:53 pm

Agreed.  Last few I've seen at gun shows were from estates.  A new 41 runs about $800 -$1000, depending on who is selling.
And worth every penny.  For a lot of years I used to own a H & R 686 in .22lr with an extra cylinder in .22WMR.  I forget what I paid for it but it was probably less than $180.  For the money it was a fine gun and actually pretty accurate.  When I got the 17 I decided to sell it off and I shouldn't have.  There are a lot of guns that I really regret getting rid of, a Browning BDA in .45acp which is now the Sig 220, a Smith and Wesson model 1917 in excellent condition, and a customized nickeled Browning High Power that I won in a impromto shooting match.  The last one was expecially gauling because the guy who bought it also promised to do me a favor which he never did.  He just said so that he would to clench the deal with the gun.   >:(
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:25:43 pm by Rocketman »

dough560 on November 09, 2009, 07:16:46 am
Had a deal similar to that when I was in service.  Sold a Ruger 5.5 inch stainless 41.mag., trying to raise money for a SW Model 58.  The unit armorer was a friend of mine and the guy tried to clear post with the pistol, without finishing paying for it.  He didn't make it.

anything