What do you know about Pashtunwali?

I am a Pashtun
I lived with the Pashtun
Took a course on the Pashtun
What is on the Internet
Little
Nothing
dough560 on November 09, 2009, 09:23:20 am
A family member is an Air Marshall.  He and I have discussed their firearms training several times.  As shooters, these guys definitely maintain proficiency in the top 10% of shooters.  Many of them would make the top 1% cutoff.  That level of shooting is required of them to retain their jobs.

On the other hand, your Average Local Police Officer shoots well enough to keep the job.  New York is a case in point.

If you follow several of the shooting disciplines,  you will notice police officers shoot in a separate class from other shooters.  Very seldom do you see officers making the top 10% in open competition.  They even have competitions only open to law enforcement personnel.

However every department has their share of  Top Guns.  These guys constantly practice and study.  They end up the guy everyone goes to with gun problems, for help with annual or semi-annual qualification, on the SWAT Team, as the armorer or range master.

Rocketman on November 09, 2009, 10:50:47 am
Federal Ammunition used to make the Nyclad ammo that would be ideal for the Air Marshal program.  I'm not sure if they make it anymore.  They take an undersized pure lead hollow point bullet and put a thin nylon sheath over it.  As soon as the bullet strike something the nylon splits apart and the pure lead HP opens rapidly up.  Just the right amount of penetration for a hostage situation in an aircraft.

quadibloc on November 10, 2009, 07:27:17 am
Federal Ammunition used to make the Nyclad ammo that would be ideal for the Air Marshal program.  I'm not sure if they make it anymore.

I didn't think that Federal Air Marshals used .38 caliber weapons, even if one might think that smaller would be better in that context, but when I searched for this to have a better understanding of what you were discussing, I got results indicating that they recently reintroduced this type of bullet at the beginning of this year after a lengthy absence.

dough560 on November 27, 2009, 07:14:14 am
Rocketman, the Nyclad ammunition was made and marketed by Smith & Wesson.  A buddy of mine is hoarding several boxes of the stuff.  It was a nylon jacket over a pure lead core.  It was available as wad-cutter, semi-wad-cutter and hollow point ammunition in .38 and .357 mag.  I think it was also available in 9mm and .45 acp as ball and hollow point loads.

I've also heard someone was going to start producing it again.  Do you remember who?  It wouldn't surprise me if S&W's former owners had sold the rights to this ammo.  As I remember, Nyclad ammunition would expand at any reasonable velocity.  For their time and  bullet design, the performance was excellent.  If it is brought back with modern bullet designs, it would be worth having.  The original stuff was in many ways ahead of its time.

When I last talked with the family member, the  Air Marshal pistol is a Sig Sauer Pistol in .357 Sig (40 S&W case necked down to 9mm) with a 125 grain bullet.   I was told they wear one pistol out during training and get a new one when they graduate.  They get .357 magnum terminal performance in a semi-automatic pistol with a higher than revolver ammunition capacity.

jamming on December 03, 2009, 02:49:41 am
My thread was Hijacked!!!
 ::) ;)

Rocketman on December 03, 2009, 12:47:30 pm
     I have some Nyclad hollow point 9mm that I'm keeping.  After seeing the performance for myself at a demonstration I'm convinced that it is the ideal round if you have to engage someone not wearing body armor or not more than say 350 pounds.  I'm glad that hear someone is bringing it back but since I don't follow that area as much as I used to I don't know who.  Sorry.
     I'm a little suprised that the air marshal's are using a .357 sig round though.  I would have guessed that it would have been considered too much penetration.  I would have gone with a 185 grain hollowpoint .45acp in a glock model 30 if it had been my decision to make.

dough560 on December 04, 2009, 05:23:59 am
The 125 grain, 357 Sig behaves very similar to the 125 grain, 357 mag.  The difference in performance mainly due to the 357 Sig, hollow point cavity being jacketed where the law enforcement 357 mag, is a half jacket with the hollow point being formed in the exposed lead.  The 357 Sig is fully jacketed to reduce the possibility of the round jamming on the feed ramp of the pistol.  Both rounds meet the FBI standard of 12 to 14 inches of penetration of the body cavity, through heavy clothes.  Due to the fully jacketed bullet, the Sig round will begin upsetting/expanding approximately two inches further into the targets body cavity then the 357 mag which begins expanding earlier due to the half jacket.

My family member doesn't have a problem with the 357 Sig, but he too would prefer a Glock.  I'd probably stay with a 1911, like the Para P13 or Tac 4 in .45 ACP, with the 165  or  230 grain hydro-shock.  No +P rounds.

My CCW is a self modified Para P13 with 230 grain hydro-shocks.  I'm old fashioned that way.   ;)

Rocketman on December 04, 2009, 09:39:52 am
I'm more old fashioned that you.  My standard CCW during wintertime is a Smith and Wesson model 25 (.45acp) with a cutback 4" barrel carrying 6 Winchester silvertip hollowpoints.  I also have four full moon clips of silvertip ammo for spares.  8)

dough560 on December 11, 2009, 03:41:05 am
Silver tips are good stuff.  I suspect you also had a few other personal touches added to the model 25.  I like the 140grain 357mags.  Use the 175s in a model 58.  225s (Long Colt) in a model 25-7 and a marlin carbine & rifle.  Handgun or long arm I can keep them in a coffee cup at 25 yards or a dinner plate at 100 yards.  Winchester used to offer silver-tips in bulk packs for the re-loader market.  Don't know if they still do.  Know any good sources for bullets or ammo?  Local stores are sold out.  If they do have anything, its ball ammo and its selling for more than what I bought my last batch of hydro-shocks for.  Premium performance ammo has hit all time highs.  Except for the liability issues, I'd as soon download some sledge-hammer rounds.  I know they're intended for hunting, but downloading should reduce the risk of over penetration.

My primary house gun is a five inch 625.  During warm weather, I load it with glasser safety slugs.  The follow-up moon clips are loaded with hydro-shocks.  When the cold weather rolls in, I just use the hydro-shocks.  Federal and Cor-Bon  both have expanding  jacketed rounds I've been hearing good things about.  Again the shelves are empty.

We were at the range a few weeks ago.  Jo, my eight year old, was working with the .22 rifle.  I started  verifying zeroes with the revolvers.  We were using the same target at about 20 yards.  I fired two moons of ammo.  Jo stopped shooting, frowned, then got up and walked to the back of the shooting bench where the spotting scope was set up.  Looked at the target with the scope, tuned to me, put her hands on her hips and said, "Dad! I was shooting there and now the center of the target is gone.  You get your own target and leave mine alone!

I am very proud of her. 

Rocketman on December 11, 2009, 11:29:44 am
Not too much out of stock on the 25 because it had been a cop's gun and he and I had similar tastes.  I did put a set of slim rubber Pachmayr grips on it and had the action slicked up which cut about a half pound off the DA trigger pull.  My 28 is the customed one.  I had at the time the chief armorer of the Indiana State Police install a spring kit on it and slick up the action.  DA on it now is just beautiful.  It has a set of wide rubber Pachmayr grips on it.  Both guns carry MMC high visibility adjustable sights replacing the standard S&W originals.  Where ever I end up their coming with me.   ;D
As far as finding ammo I basically don't buy it anymore because I reload since I've cut way back on shooting.  If you have gun shows in your area then I would go to them and get everything that you need.  I have some really old guns that were my grandfathers that I take out an shoot once in a great while. Those I use cast bullets.  Most use the 131 grain lead made for the M-1 carbine with a gas check bullet on them.  I've noticed that when fired into a clay bank that they really open up fast.  From what I've seen if it wasn't for the lawyer on the opposite side making a scene about "Ordinary bullets weren't deadly enough for him, he had to use even more deadly bullets!!"  I think I would make up a bunch and have them in the home defense rifle.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:42:47 am by Rocketman »

dough560 on December 12, 2009, 02:44:28 am
Ambulance chasers are always a pain.  Supposidly, Federal recently produced some .30 M1 Carbine ammunition with 110 grain gold dots.  My buddy in Michigan uses a custom M1 Carbine for his house gun.  We've been watching for it to hit the shelves.

Back in my body-guard days I used a Styer SSG .308  with 100 or 110 grain half-jacket plinkers.  They were intended for short to medium range work in built-up areas.  Over-penetration and civil liability, don't you know.  A local custom smith and I were talking the other day.  He recently took part in a SWAT shooting training review.  Part of the materials included an incident where the sniper team was moving to a hide, when they encountered the suspect moving down a  hallway.  When they confronted by the suspect, he tried engage.  The cops responded with one round to the head.  It was a Hornady  110Grain .308 Tap.  No Exit wound.  It took better than 10 years for a commercial company to duplicate what I was doing with hand-loads back in the 80's.

If things work out this summer, my revolvers are going back to S&W for rebuilds and custom work.  All of them will get action jobs and be converted to double action only triggers.  I mainly use Pachmayr Decelerator or Jordan Grips on the revolvers.  The sights I'm converting to a Tritium/Fiber Optic front sight and an express blade in the rear sight.  I'd like to add a Tritium Bar or Dot under the center of the rear sight V.  I can't see notch and post sights as well as I used to .  Short of switching to an electronic sight like the Doctur Optic.  This seems to be the best sight combination for me.