Rocketman on December 30, 2006, 05:57:48 pm
I've always been either an N frame Smith and Wesson man or a fan of the Colt 1911A1 Series 70.  Probably
revealing my age saying that.  Couple of weeks ago I was in a gun shop and had to check out a few of the
ordinance on the other side of the table.  The model 23 Glock (.40 S&W) that I dry fired fit my hand almost
perfectly and the trigger pull was extremely nice.  I also tried out a used EAA witness that was slightly large for me but also with an excellent trigger pull.  The last was a double action only Para Ordinance in .45ACP.  I thought that the grip was a little large, but what a trigger!!!!  About 4 pounds and breaks like a piece of glass
rod with absolutely no creep at all!!!!  I think I'm going to have to start saving my pennies....

Mike Mordant on March 09, 2007, 08:28:28 pm
Speaking of S&W, Larry's in Huntsville,  Alabama had a book signing by Roy G. Jinks who has made his mission to preserve the history and tradition of that fine company.  Roy and his wife were very cordial even though every copy was gone by a quarter past four the first day.   Even though there were no books to be had a steady stream of customers came by to  have a chat with them.

Mr. Jinks has an encyclopedic knowledge of the guns of Smith and Wesson and owns a extensive collection of archival material.  He works at D.B Wesson's own desk.

The double action N frames are great reliable guns.  But not as concealable as the model 36 J frame I have carried anywhere and everywhere, often as a backup.  I know that it will fire whenever it's called upon.  While it doesn't have the knock down power of lager caliber guns, there's comfort in the knowledge that are five (more) shots close to hand.

Rocketman on March 10, 2007, 02:51:07 pm
I do indeed know who Roy Jinks is.  The N frame fits my hand better than just about anything else on the market.  One of my biggest screw-ups was when I sold a near mint condition S & W model 1917 to a buddy of mine that just had to have it.  Shortly thereafter I was in a gunshop and came across an excellent condition Model 1955 (in .45acp) with a cut back 4 inch barrel.  Ex-cops gun.  I bought it immediately, put a set of pachmayr grips on it and it's been true love ever since.

Rocketman on March 10, 2007, 03:01:09 pm
I probably should add a few things.  I also have a couple of other S & W guns that are just for concealment but I don't have any problem concealing the 1955 with a winter coat on since I am a rather large person to begin with.  A Galco shoulder holster works fine in that department.

archy on April 27, 2007, 04:03:42 pm
1) Why are the Pope's Swiss Guards armed with Johnson M1941 rifles instead of Schmidt-Rubin K31's or an indigenously developed Swiss automatic rifle?  Or even the German Stug 44?  The Swiss were able to buy some German hardware, such as Bf-109 fighter planes.

Regards,

Dave Schmidt

Don't forget that post-WWI U.S. Army Ordnance evaluated a modified Schmidt-Rubin M1911 straight pull modified into a gas-operated semiauto as they were searching for a semiauto replacement- or modification of- the M1903 Springfield. Had Canadian John Garand remained in the Great White North to become a chess and figure skating champion [or had he resettled in Texas!] Mel Johnson's semiauto might well have fared much better, certainly for international sales [the Dutch colonies] at least. 
Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....

archy on April 27, 2007, 04:48:02 pm
The older rifles are, indeed, Enfield "jungle carbines" chambered in .303.  The automatic rifles are 9mm Sten sub-machineguns.

You missed a great opportunity for them to be Lanchesters. Lovely old shooters, if a tad heavy.

Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....

41 mag on April 28, 2007, 01:56:09 am
and have you considered the pederson device? a sub-caliber conversion (drop-in mind you of the 0-3 springfield? as neat a piece of weirdness as lucy 's gabbett -fairfax mars or the unbeilievibly screwy webley -fosbury auto revolver. the other choice of period arms for this story, how about arming a russian with a moisin -nagant gas seal revolver?    ;D

Rocketman on April 28, 2007, 07:15:19 pm
The Johnson's big advantage over the Garand was that the Johnson was recoil operated like the Browning M1919 light machine gun whereas the Garand used a gas system.  Powder fouling the Johnson action was almost impossible.  The long thin Johnson barrel however caused vertical shot dispersation when rapidly being fired.  I would have preferred a Garand myself but both were excellent guns.  We were lucky that the US military had two excellent guns while the Germans only had the G43 only available the last year and a half of the war and the Japanese only had a few experimental copies of the Garand that they made but saw limited combat use.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 04:37:01 am by Rocketman »

jrl on June 03, 2007, 05:37:18 pm
I have to agree with Rocketman: The S&W N-frame is a fabulous piece. (Mine is a model 25-2, & I've made some truly improbable shots with it.) However at 6' & 160#, there is no way on gods green earth I'm going to be able to conceal it about my person, short of wearing a purpose tailored sport coat to help conceal the thing in a shoulder rig. Unfortunately in my life that would look kind of weird, so I make do with a J-frame with a Kel-Tek P32 for backup or sometimes just the P32 when seriously discrete carry is required 'cause it lets me obey the first law of gunfighting: "Bring a Gun." The .32 you've got on you is better than the .45 you left at home.

Rocketman on June 03, 2007, 07:01:34 pm
JRL:
     We share much in the way of tastes concerning guns.  I too used to carry as a backup a J frame S&W .38 special but replaced it with a Keltec P11 in 9mm.  I carry Starfires in it.  My S&W 25-2 carrys Winchester Silvertips and my other N frame, a S&W 28 with a six inch barrel uses Federal 125 hollow points.  During the summer months I normally only carry the Kel Tec in a behind the back and inside the pants holster but in the wintertime the 25-2 is my companion.  During the winter I can carry even the model 28 in a shoulder holster as I am pretty good size without showing a bulge.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 10:02:32 am by Rocketman »

anything