Jac on August 10, 2006, 05:24:09 pm
Knowing Neil, I'm sure every character in this book has a specific ("real" or otherwise) firearm, and a backstory explaining why they carry that gun in that caliber.

Now, Colonel Morrison carries a Savage 1907 in .375 (".375 Savage", ".375 Automatic", ".375 ASP"?!?)... he's already mentioned that in his blog. How about everyone else... what's Bill Bear carry (it looks like a HiPower type pistol... not quite a 1911; certainly Browningesque... CZ?)? The other rangers? Is Malcom X a wheelgun man?

C'mon guys... give! :D

Jac on August 11, 2006, 06:29:55 pm
And what, pray tell, does 'Ol Blue Eyes carry? :D

LNeil on August 14, 2006, 03:48:23 pm
....Wild Bill Bear carries a "Bernkrandt" .45 autopistol. This is 1947, of course, but Texican technology has advanced considerably more rapidly than everybody else's, thanks to the degree of freedom to be found there. Thus the Bernkrandt bears a startling resemblance to my EAA Witness "convertible", which can either be a .45 or a 10mm. Yeah, I know it's an anachronism -- and that Wild Bill, in carrying a .45 has chosen a "medium" caliber in a world where the equivalent of the 1911 is a .475. But it's my favorite handgun, and I wanted it in the book.
....The depiction has gotten a little complicated by the fact that Scott didn't always have a good photo of the Witness to work from, so he used his own Para-Ordinance .45 as a model here and there. It's a single-action double-stacked 1911A1 clone, of course, whereas my EAA is a double-action double-stacked CZ75 clone. But they're both beautiful weapons, an absolute blsat to play with, and very comforting on a dark and stormy night.

LNeil on August 14, 2006, 03:53:47 pm
....As for Francis Albert "Ol' Blue Eyes" Sinatra, he's not a Texican, he's from Hoboken, New Jersey, and probably doesn't carry a gun. His buddies with the dark shirts and light ties do it for him. If he did, it'd have to be small, in an era where cartoons made fun of him for being so skinny. (They would show him, for example, disappearing behind a microphone stand as he sang.) Call it a Hartford Police Positive in some equivalent to .32 H&R Magnum.

DavidS on August 19, 2006, 12:27:42 am
1) Why are the Pope's Swiss Guards armed with Johnson M1941 rifles instead of Schmidt-Rubin K31's or an indigenously developed Swiss automatic rifle?  Or even the German Stug 44?  The Swiss were able to buy some German hardware, such as Bf-109 fighter planes.

2) Are the Swiss still free?  It would break my heart if the good General Guisan and his brave militia had fallen in Neil and Scott's alternate world.

3) I love the comic, both for the art and the story.  And I'm learning a lot of fascinating details about the history of our world that I never knew, too.  Somewhat off topic, by the way, is the guy playing poker with the pope none other than a young "Tricky Dick" Nixon?

Regards,

Dave Schmidt

"...if by radio, leaflets, or other media any information is transmitted doubting the will of the Federal Council or of the Armiy High Command to resist an attacker, this information must be regarded as...enemy propaganda.  Our country will resist aggression with all means at its power and to the bitter end."-- Swiss Combined General Order, April 18, 1940 (Home Time Line)

Zen Redneck on August 19, 2006, 09:45:57 pm
Good guess, but it's actually this unfortunately forgotting and very underrated fellow:
http://www3.telus.net/pagerweb/hallensmith/

As to the Swiss, we think they remain free, being as impregnable to the Röhm/Windson nazis as they were in our world, but of course the Vatican, as we see, had to relocate to Brownsville.

Scott on August 22, 2006, 12:00:38 pm
....The depiction has gotten a little complicated by the fact that Scott didn't always have a good photo of the Witness to work from, so he used his own Para-Ordinance .45 as a model here and there.

Well, the fact of the matter is, I used my Para as a model for Bill's gun because Neil forgot to tell me it was supposed to be a Witness until two weeks after I drew the scene with Bill shooting at the Packard Guy. Actually I own a Witness, and it's my favorite gun, although it's a "compact" model. The next "mid-range" pistol I buy will probably be a full-size Witness.

If someone -- anyone -- sends $40 to my PayPal account (scott@scottbieser.com) with the instructions, "change the gun," I'll go back and change the earlier drawings of Bill's gun. The next time we get a good look at Bill's gun it will definitely look like a CZ-75/Tanfoglio Witness.

wdg3rd on August 22, 2006, 02:51:33 pm
Good guess, but it's actually this unfortunately forgotting and very underrated fellow:
http://www3.telus.net/pagerweb/hallensmith/
Not forgotten by me.  His The Great Chili Confrontation had a major impact on my life.  To the extent that I hope within the next year or so to be opening a restaurant up in New Hampshire specializing in that particular food item.  (10% discount to anybody carrying what I consider effective self-defense gear).

And The Compleat Practical Joker is a dangerous tool in the "wrong" hands.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Frank B. on August 22, 2006, 04:11:02 pm
Not forgotten by me.  His The Great Chili Confrontation had a major impact on my life.  To the extent that I hope within the next year or so to be opening a restaurant up in New Hampshire specializing in that particular food item.  (10% discount to anybody carrying what I consider effective self-defense gear).

Hmmm...  is what you consider "effective self-defense gear" legal in New Hampshire?

wdg3rd on August 23, 2006, 01:01:57 pm

Hmmm...  is what you consider "effective self-defense gear" legal in New Hampshire?
Open carry is legal anywhere in the state (though some folks will look at you funny down near the Massachusetts border).  Concealed carry permits cost $10 and it's a "shall issue" situation.  We have folks working on getting Vermont/Alaska Carry through the legislature.

My own pet project when I get there is elimination of the sales tax.  While it's widely advertised that there is no state sales or income tax in New Hampshire, the exception is a sales tax on restaurant food and temporary lodging.  I don't want to be a tax collector.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Zen Redneck on August 26, 2006, 12:06:02 pm
Delighted to learn that there's at least one more H. Allen Smith fan out there!  Time for a revival.  One of America's best humorists.  One thing we've tried to do here is include such underrated people as Smith.  History is full of such.  Many are participating in Roswell, and will show up later.

Space Patton! on October 02, 2006, 07:15:31 pm
Sounds good. I forsee a knife fight in the future between Rosworld's John Wayne and T. E Lawrence. Who would win? (my moneys on Wayne). Anyway, on the subject of guns, what types are the Kukri Rifles (good choice, i was expecting the Desert Rats) using? The rifle looks kind of like a Lee-Enfield, but it uses clip ammo. And the sub-machine gun, is it a Thompson or a British version of the MP-40?

Space Patton! on October 13, 2006, 04:09:08 pm
Never mind about the British rifle, I'm pretty sure its a Lee - Enfield #5 Jungle Carbine (I could be wrong), but I'm still lost on the submachine gun, it doesn't look like any British one I've ever seen. Also, what is the rifle that Natalie (the French Assistant) uses to shoot at the rangers? It looks to me like a Mas-49, but I'm not sure. ???

Jac on November 03, 2006, 09:47:55 am
YES!!! Colonel Morrison finally brings his lovely Savage .375 into action... and against Nazis, too.

Cool pistol. 8)

Scott on November 10, 2006, 12:19:18 am
The older rifles are, indeed, Enfield "jungle carbines" chambered in .303.  The automatic rifles are 9mm Sten sub-machineguns.

The Mexicans are carrying Mondragons.

anything