Sean Roach on July 20, 2009, 10:40:05 am
What I meant was, people have been largely sitting back and enjoying the ride, not commenting much.  Politics in the conversation should change that.  I enjoy the debate.

As for energy.
Cheap energy, cheap labor, superior materials, superior transportation, any technological upset will invalidate someone's investment, be it in material or training, and they will rally to preserve it, at any (public) expense.

I like to fantasize about teleporters, or rather portals, becoming readily available, and two things I figure would happen in such an event would be,
A.  airlines, buslines, auto-manufacturers, hotels, and most restaurants would quickly feel the pinch of fewer patrons and customers, as people just teleported past them to their destination, and teleported home to eat and sleep.
B.  Cities, especially small towns, would quickly lose sales-tax dollars, as their patrons would just teleport to commercial hubs to do their shopping, rather than even buying a roll of toilet paper locally.  Meanwhile, the large cities would largely depopulate as people moved to "suburbs" hundreds of miles away, so those small towns would have more occupants, not fewer.
Naturally, there'd be a 3 day quarantine on even the shortest teleport, "to reduce the risk of spreading infectious disease and parasites".

NeitherRuleNorBeRuled on July 20, 2009, 09:32:35 pm
Okay Sandy.  I get what your saying.  But since Reggie is one of the more "prominent" citizens on Ceres I was thinking that he would likely be notified since his name and reputation would carry some weight.  If Joe Average told the authorities he may or may not be believed.   True, Reggie has no official capacity but then again neither does anyone else.

My thinking would be that since Reggie runs an arbitration service ("King's Court"), he would get  a call pretty early on to see if there had been any recent arbitrations  with results  that didn't set well with one of the parties -- there can't be more than a few arbitration services on Ceres, and in the absence of any "obvious" suspects it seems like an easy way to find leads.  I'd also figure there would be a check with businesses at or around the local space ports to see if there were any suspicious types showing up recently (murder being rare, it's reasonable to think it might be imported).

SandySandfort on July 20, 2009, 09:46:49 pm
My thinking would be that since Reggie runs an arbitration service ("King's Court"), he would get  a call pretty early on to see if there had been any recent arbitrations  with results  that didn't set well with one of the parties -- there can't be more than a few arbitration services on Ceres, and in the absence of any "obvious" suspects it seems like an easy way to find leads.  I'd also figure there would be a check with businesses at or around the local space ports to see if there were any suspicious types showing up recently (murder being rare, it's reasonable to think it might be imported).

Yup, all valid possibilities.

anything