corwinargentus on May 29, 2009, 08:28:09 am
I am hoping this deal is all it seems to be, but I smell a rat somewhere. 

Is the representative of the Terraforming concern on the up-and-up and the light-haried guy shadowing him the bad guy?  Or is it the other way around? 

Will the light-haired slightly aging Race-Bannon form turn out to be on the side of right and good, and the deal be a set up targeted at the Guzmans and Ceres in general from the UW?  The apparent immediate transfer of funds to Babette's terminal seems to shock her a bit, and just seems ominous.
CorwinArgentus
Goodbye, and Hello as always

terry_freeman on May 30, 2009, 08:48:12 pm
It could be just me, but if this week's episodes had a soundtrack, it would be something dark and ominous.

deadasdisco on May 31, 2009, 12:15:21 pm
Is the representative of the Terraforming concern on the up-and-up and the light-haried guy shadowing him the bad guy?  Or is it the other way around?

Or there's always option #3 and this is a bit of 'Space Noir', neither's on the up-and-up and the Guzman boys are caught between two differant flavors of bad. 

quadibloc on June 01, 2009, 07:35:54 pm
Since the customer is insisting on absolute secrecy, he has become my strongest suspect, whereas before that, the person listening in had been. All I can be sure of is the obvious, though: that this is the beginning of a new story arc.

corwinargentus on June 02, 2009, 08:49:13 am

Or there's always option #3 and this is a bit of 'Space Noir', neither's on the up-and-up and the Guzman boys are caught between two differant flavors of bad. 

Oooooh.  Nasty possibility.  Plus the boys are excited to get this business so they can start to build their own operation.  Their eagerness is leaving them exposed and short of caution.  They are not stupid, and have Reggie's wisdom to prompt them to think a little more clearly, so I am in hopes when they go to rent Reggie's burner they listen to him carefully.
CorwinArgentus

deadasdisco on June 02, 2009, 01:39:37 pm
I dunno... is even Reggie's wisdom a match for the four most deadly words in the english language? "I've Got a Plan!" (Seriously, this is reminding me of some of the guys I went to college with... "Hey, I've got this awesome plan, just listen..." oy...)

Monkt on June 02, 2009, 08:11:31 pm
I dunno... is even Reggie's wisdom a match for the four most deadly words in the english language? "I've Got a Plan!" (Seriously, this is reminding me of some of the guys I went to college with... "Hey, I've got this awesome plan, just listen..." oy...)
I've got a plan never seems to go quite as planned.

corwinargentus on June 06, 2009, 07:58:53 am
I guess I have SOME hope.  While Bert is not a complete idiot by any means, Ernie really seems to have quite a lot on the ball.  I hope enough alarm bells go off in his head to spur him to a good level of caution.  I guess we'll see.
CorwinArgentus

quadibloc on June 07, 2009, 04:27:05 pm
Although I don't know which movie it is, I'm quite confident that line "If I didn't dicker... you would not respect me" was inspired by a movie as well. This makes me worried about his level of caution, although his partner and brother seems to be cautious enough for both of them.

SandySandfort on June 08, 2009, 10:09:11 am
Although I don't know which movie it is, I'm quite confident that line "If I didn't dicker... you would not respect me" was inspired by a movie as well.

If I got it from a movie, I don't remember it. I have, however, used it to good effect when dealing with Asians. It's always good for a knowing smile and usually gets me a better deal.

deadasdisco on June 09, 2009, 02:02:00 pm
Annnnnd... that answers our questions about the whole good guy/bad guy, client/pale man relationship.  Pretty substantially.  BTW, totally unrelated, the now-late Client was wondering about Tandoori (coincidentially, as I was thinking about dinner m'self) but didn't specify a type.  What kind of meat can they get on Ceres?  Synth or real?

SandySandfort on June 09, 2009, 08:31:22 pm
What kind of meat can they get on Ceres?  Synth or real?

This will be answered obliquely in an upcoming arc. However, synthetic food can be constructed in fabs (nanotech black boxes), but it isn't very good. Simple household fabs are used for bulk items, such as personal electronic and for de-constructing organic and inorganic waste. Most of the food is actually farmed in multi-mile-high towers at the poles. In addition, most independence-minded Cerereans have home gardens and raise rabbits, chickens, etc.

So most any sort of meat, vegetable or grain is available in Ceres and the other inhabited Belt bodies.

NeitherRuleNorBeRuled on June 09, 2009, 09:48:15 pm
Most of the food is actually farmed in multi-mile-high towers at the poles.

This reminds me of a question I had earlier:  what are the economics of air (or more specifically, O2)?  There has been no mention of how the cost for this is borne, and I would expect there to be a cost, at minimum for transferring it from the poles (where I would presume most of it is generated via photosynthesis) and the common living/business areas.

After all, TANSTAAFB (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Breath)  ;)

quadibloc on June 10, 2009, 03:27:35 am
And now, of course, the Guzmans really have no way of knowing what they're getting into. The killer is overhearing their plans... and we have a reference to Antoine de Saint-Euxpéry, if I'm not mistaken.

Sean Roach on June 10, 2009, 04:51:35 am
Go to an office building and ask to use the restroom.  See if you're refused.  The office building pays to maintain that restroom, both in power, water, and cleanliness.  They don't pass that on to you the casual user, but rather to the people who have shop in the building, who charge you for whatever services they offer.

However, why would most of the air be generated at the poles?  Perhaps that excess mostly gasses up burners.  chemical cracking might be easier on site.
Something to consider.  CO2 can be cracked for carbon to feed the fabs while leaving a breathable atmosphere for the general population.  The whole thing can be run off wall-power rather than solar, and the end products wouldn't be limited to plant fibers, sugars and starches.

Edit.
On the other hand, who's to say there is an O2 surplus at the poles?  Meat needs a lot more O2, per bushel of harvestable product, than grain needs CO2.  There might be a near balance at the poles rather than an oxygen surplus.

Additionally, piping that much O2 around from a few locations adds a degree of risk.  If your life depends on it, hourly, you probably want a multiply-redundant system, and short supply lines.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 04:55:40 am by Sean Roach »

anything