wdg3rd on May 25, 2009, 03:31:11 am
In the original short story, most of the information was given as simple exposition. For the strip, I transformed it into a TV "News From Mars" segment, adding in everything you see in the screen-bottom "crawl" text, and inventing Heironymus Zappa. The outfit he's wearing is copied from the Colin Baker version of Doctor Who (my second least-favorite Doctor, btw, but that's another story). ::)

Colin Baker was my absolutely least favorite incarnation.  The best of course was the late Jon Pertwee, the only version of the Doctor who did all his own stunts (he'd started his career as a stunt man).   Most Americans think of Tom Baker first, as he was the usual suspect when they first caught the show on PBS in the 80s.

That show is what turned me on to cooking, as on Saturday morning the cartoons were over an hour before (Los Angeles) channel 28 ran the show, so I'd just change channels and wait (while reading a book).  But I got hooked on "The Frugal Gourmet" and thought that "that don't look that hard, and it might taste good".  As a result, I'm the best cook either side of my family generated born after 1900 (Gramma [born 1897] was the best, but she was absolutely gifted, and I'm glad to have a few of her chromosomes and a bit of her bad attitude -- she was a great old bitch and I use that term proudly).  My sisters can burn hot dogs simmering in a saucepan and I'd rather not discuss Mom's culinary "skills".  Ask El Neill (or his beautiful wife and daughter) whether my chili is worth initiation of force.  And I've gotten better at it in the past ten years.  Ask any sober member (yes, I know that's a trick question) of the Free State Project (the real one, not Ken Royce's substitute).
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

SandySandfort on May 26, 2009, 06:32:57 pm
I've been in Florida for a few days. I finally got around to answering e-mails and posting to the forum. Since I'm a linear kind of guy, I'm just reading and answering in order, so maybe this has already been addressed.

Oh, and "Hieronymous Zappa"?

You, Sandy, are a right tease, you are...

Damn, now I really wanna see mars...

Thanks, but I cannot take the credit. The news report is 100% Scott Bieser.

deadasdisco on May 27, 2009, 08:19:41 pm
Don't worry, Scott can stand up for his own creations... and does, a few posts back.

Sv. Bieser's Mars, though, looks like a wacky place, and does nothing to curb my enthusiasm for the oddball center of the System... 

(BTW, Scott, Second least favorite?  Someone was BELOW Colin Baker?   McGann maybe?)

quadibloc on June 25, 2009, 03:53:07 am
Another pop culture reference, this time to a cartoon feature that originally appeared on the Captain Kangaroo TV show.

SandySandfort on June 25, 2009, 10:25:09 am
Another pop culture reference, this time to a cartoon feature that originally appeared on the Captain Kangaroo TV show.

Good pick up! You must be as old as I am. The cartoon show was Ruff & Ready:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ruff_&_Reddy_Show

It was the first television show produced by Hanna-Barbera. I don't have any evidence that it was ever show on Captain Kangaroo, but I guess it could have been.

Now for a real treat. Here is the first episode which featured Muni-Mula:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvtr-zj-Uyk

quadibloc on June 26, 2009, 08:35:00 pm
My memory, though, must have been playing tricks on me. I was sure it was a Tom Terrific episode. It could be that I saw the Ruff and Reddy cartoon on some other show, not Captain Kangaroo, which also showed the Tom Terrific cartoons - even though they were from different studios. It could well have been a local station's childrens show which syndicated both cartoons.

anything