knoodelhed on May 18, 2009, 12:21:31 am
Dead, as I would expect. But, it didn't go through him? ???

quadibloc on May 18, 2009, 12:56:56 am
Nice touch with the... coloring.

KBCraig on May 18, 2009, 07:07:21 am

Proper expansion.

corwinargentus on May 18, 2009, 08:48:21 am
Speaking of shading, note that the gunner, aside from being visibly agitated, has lost continence.  Yep, I might pee myself in the situation too, though I hope I'd never find myself in a similar fix (I hope I would find it within myself to somehow stand up to the officer giving me an immoral order, and then be able to avoid immediate death at his hands).  I would claim that I am too brave and macho to let this happen, but you know, sometimes the nervous system just takes over and you don't have a hell of a lot of choice.
CorwinArgentus
Goodbye, and Hello as always

SandySandfort on May 18, 2009, 09:27:01 am
Speaking of shading, note that the gunner, aside from being visibly agitated, has lost continence. 

GOOD pickup! Nice eye for detail. Yes, he peed himself.

corwinargentus on May 18, 2009, 10:33:47 am

I posted this on another thread in response to a conversation there, it really seems to apply here too to try and answer knoodlehed's noting the apparent absence of an exit wound:

I am sure there was some damage to the lungs though the shot seems to have been dead center, possibly passing between them.  I am not an expert on anatomy by any means - does it look to you like the heart could also have suffered at least a peripheral injury?  My opinion would be that it looks likely, though as I said, I ain't no sawbones.  The heavy bleeding through the chest wall and the stream of blood out the mouth seem to support that theory.  He already appears unconscious, seems to be at least in deep shock (associated with severe trauma/blood loss) if not already gone.

My combat lifesaver course taught that on many lung injuries the victim will be fully conscious though possibly in great pain.  Even when there is an entry and exit wound, many times the best position for the soldier (once the wound is sealed and pneumothorax is prevented or treated), is seated against a tree or other support, whatever is most comfortable for breathing.  That assumes the soldier is at least somewhat conscious and coherent.  Harris def. appears to be out in the last frame.

The wound also looks dead-center enough the shot could have impacted the spinal column.  That would also have caused the already mushroomed bullet to fragment and cause even more damage, also possibly preventing a full exit wound.

*edit* and of course it went through the sternum on the way in, which made the  deforming of the bullet extreme even before it hit the spinal column.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:45:23 am by corwinargentus »
CorwinArgentus

quadibloc on May 18, 2009, 11:16:53 am
GOOD pickup! Nice eye for detail.

Dang. That's what you get for being... less than explicit about the unmentionable.

Rocketman on May 18, 2009, 12:22:41 pm
How fast he dies depends on lots of things.  Generally speaking she got a solid hit right in the center of the chest.  Considering that she was at close range and had him hog tied and assuming that the "Colt" was at least a .38 super probably within a minute of two.  There is at least on record of a .22 short fired at close range bringing down a circus elephant.  (Melrose Tappen "Survival Guns") on the other hand there is a case where an angry ex-husband broke into the parent in laws home and killed his ex-wife and their kids and then walked 2 and a half miles to a hospital where he ultimately died and this was after the wife had emptied 19 rounds of .22lr into him.

NeitherRuleNorBeRuled on May 18, 2009, 09:27:17 pm
Speaking of shading, note that the gunner, aside from being visibly agitated, has lost continence. 

GOOD pickup! Nice eye for detail. Yes, he peed himself.

Speaking of which, it seems like it would be unreasonable not to give him a few minutes to compose himself before giving some defense.  It cannot be certain to the Cereans (OK, Cerereans) that his is not innocent, and to perhaps fail to discover this because the Gunner cannot express a clear defense would not be just.  I think a 10-15 minute recess is in order.  Folks watching the recording on Youtube (http://You-Tube.ceres.sov  ;))  can fast-forward.

terry_freeman on May 19, 2009, 12:30:50 am
I can't be certain, but I thought that was a Colt 1911 model, .45 acp

corwinargentus on May 19, 2009, 07:32:03 am
Speaking of which, it seems like it would be unreasonable not to give him a few minutes to compose himself before giving some defense.  It cannot be certain to the Cereans (OK, Cerereans) that his is not innocent, and to perhaps fail to discover this because the Gunner cannot express a clear defense would not be just.  I think a 10-15 minute recess is in order.  Folks watching the recording on Youtube (http://You-Tube.ceres.sov  ;))  can fast-forward.

I just read Sandy's post (going back thru older stuff) where he states, "Cerereans" is the most gramatically correct (I believe that's what was stated, please forgive me if I misquote) way to structure the name.  I know this ain't (hee) no (hee hee) English class, but I have to admit I don't know the rules behind that and am curious, if Sandy would be so kind as to hep' me out. 

Have to agree with you, NeitherRule.  I hope Weapons Officer Young is given a few moments to compose himself and answer further.  So far his answer is not satisfying the audience, and Emily is bringing up Sov. Guzman's weapon again.  The clock is ticking and time appears to be short.  I have my thoughts on what he should say if his heart is in the right place, but I'll shut up to see what happens.
CorwinArgentus

SandySandfort on May 19, 2009, 09:33:42 am
I can't be certain, but I thought that was a Colt 1911 model, .45 acp

That was the intent.

SandySandfort on May 19, 2009, 09:39:46 am
I just read Sandy's post (going back thru older stuff) where he states, "Cerereans" is the most gramatically correct (I believe that's what was stated, please forgive me if I misquote) way to structure the name.  I know this ain't (hee) no (hee hee) English class, but I have to admit I don't know the rules behind that and am curious, if Sandy would be so kind as to hep' me out. 

See "Name" at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_ceres

cyberbard on May 19, 2009, 10:40:21 am
I hope Weapons Officer Young is given a few moments to compose himself and answer further.  So far his answer is not satisfying the audience, and Emily is bringing up Sov. Guzman's weapon again.  The clock is ticking and time appears to be short.  I have my thoughts on what he should say if his heart is in the right place, but I'll shut up to see what happens.

I suspect he's going to keep blubbering until Rose feeds him a lead sandwich.  And I think the reason is a "fourth wall" one.  The writers need to demonstrate that "following orders" is no excuse when the order itself is illegal/immoral/inhuman, whatever.  As far as the locals are concerned, Young should have said "I refuse to obey!," and accept whatever fate Harris had in mind.

I wanted to see Yeoman Young redeem himself, but I don't think he will. 

corwinargentus on May 19, 2009, 01:28:29 pm
See "Name" at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_ceres

Thank you Sov. Sandfort.  Lays it right out, much appreciated.
CorwinArgentus