Leviathan on April 06, 2009, 01:40:40 am
I can feel a response brewing, oh yes.  One problem, I think I've mentioned, with Harris' tactics?  He's used to dealing with governments that are resisting the UW.  Towns.  Districts.  Nations.  A populace that's used to being terrorized into submission.  A display of force, a demonstration of actions the disarmed population can't hope to defend against, and that the government can't hope to win against with its single defensive agency.  What Ceres is?  Nothing of the sort.  An argument by minarchists that I agree with up to a point: it's unlikely that individuals wouldn't occasionally try to seize power in an anarchy.  That Harris is probably more bloodthirsty than most tinpot dictators is likely not affecting much in that mentality.  The fact is, in a society not traumatized into accepting the role of semi-willing victim, such an action is probably the only thing that might get them to agree to preparing an extinction-level event for Terra.  If they didn't recognize the difference between Terran civilians and the UW.  Individuals attack, other individuals defend themselves.  The worst thing in such a society that Harris could do is put that video on a loop and try to play it far and wide.  Because without a government, he's just telling them "You could be next."  Without a government to look to, their only possible response is to do what it takes to keep themselves safe.  Which leads inevitably to the calculation, "Can I do anything to make myself safe?"  And the Cerereans and other belters are probably the first people in a long time who very well could be saying "Yes, I can!"  Which means that Harris may survive.  But he's just committed the highest stick they've probably seen in years.

quadibloc on April 06, 2009, 07:42:09 am
The fact is, in a society not traumatized into accepting the role of semi-willing victim, such an action is probably the only thing that might get them to agree to preparing an extinction-level event for Terra.

In the March 13 thread, I comment on Sandy Sandfort's domment that I am "really not going to like how this arc ends", combined with his statement that the story is not going towards the extinction-level event to suspect that Reginald's "final solution" is something else entirely.

I should warn you, though, if I'm right, it's something of a plot spoiler. (I wonder, though, if it will be Guy who convinces them that there is another way...)

SandySandfort on April 06, 2009, 01:14:51 pm
In the March 13 thread, I comment on Sandy Sandfort's domment that I am "really not going to like how this arc ends", combined with his statement that the story is not going towards the extinction-level event to suspect that Reginald's "final solution" is something else entirely.

I should warn you, though, if I'm right, it's something of a plot spoiler. (I wonder, though, if it will be Guy who convinces them that there is another way...)

Hey, take your best shot.   :D