Zen Redneck on December 09, 2006, 08:42:30 am
Ye-e-es.  Here's how I'd put it.  Nouns (and noun phrases) (except for a subset of proper names that refer to a certain individual) all indicate categories birch trees, fingers, presbyterians, hoosiers, fish, rocks and many things belong to these categories, and you can make generalizations about them (rocks are hard) although some rocks are soft, and most of us recognize that most things said about a category can be correct only to a degree, UNLESS the thing you say is a part of the DEFINITION of the category.  Obviously, any generalization you make about an ethnic group, except for a defining generalization, will inevitably contain exceptions.

archy on May 01, 2007, 10:27:05 am
And you're right about Bavaria. I noticed that and forgot to correct it. And in OTL, Hitler may not have done portraits, but in Texas, he stuck with art, and of course did a much greater variety of things. However, his syndicated comic strip about two mischievious boys, called "Sturm und Drang," never really caught on.

Though less well-known than those of primary cover illustrator  Frank R. Paul, Hitler's watercolour cover illustrations for Amazing and other science fiction magazines of the 1920s and 30s are not only collector's items in their own right, but several of his depictions of multi-tentacled alien beings prooved eerily accurate. Credited only to illustrator *Doilf*, his *final period* alien landscape and buildings output has been compared to that of Boris Artzybasheff and Louis Wain, but at least Hitler had a market for it where his visions fit in.

Boris Artzybasheff techno/anthropomorphism:
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&gbv=2&safe=off&q=Boris+Artzybasheff&btnG=Search+Images

Louis Wain cat portraitures:
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&gbv=2&safe=off&q=Louis+Wain

Dolf Hitler watercolours:
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&gbv=2&safe=off&q=hitler+watercolors+
Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....

archy on May 01, 2007, 11:03:04 am
Obviously, any generalization you make about an ethnic group, except for a defining generalization, will inevitably contain exceptions.

All generalizations are untrue!

--aphorism attributed to Samuel Langhorne Clemens, former President of the Federated States of Texas.

Leviathan on May 22, 2007, 09:47:17 am
actually we may elect actor as president, but we preferably have them governor of a major state before (although it make a bit more sense thank you) well it was a bit confusing because the Sam Hill look complete when they pass it.

May I ask how texas civil right institution seem to be on growt hormone? I mean in our timeline texas was a slave state. Not really good ground for a state of racial equality if you ask me.

Sorry to pull up six month old posts, but I just joined the forums not long ago and just got around to reading this one.

Something to note about civil rights for the former slaves? Freed (as in, didn't run away or get emancipated en masse) slaves were not generally considered second-class citizens in the South. It may not have been completely socially acceptable for a white to marry a colored, but quite a few blacks were slave-owners in the south before the civil war. They had wealth and status in many cases. Many southerners did consider blacks as subhuman but a freed man was a citizen in his or her own right.

Then in comes the North. The North says all slaves are free now. Now all those former slaves become a symbol of defeat and imperialism and imposed government. Of confiscation and of the north taking the wealth of the south. Suddenly all black men and women are as good as slaves in peoples' minds. Added to this condition was the fact that almost every slave had been a fairly large investment. People felt they had huge amounts of wealth confiscated from them. It becomes easy, as a result, to blame your own personal poverty on the confiscation of slave wealth whether your family had ever been a plantation owner or not.

Without that, the KKK wouldn't have had as much of a general foothold, and the wealthier blacks and their descendants would've likely ended up gaining more and more influence and office. The really big movements in the south against blacks didn't start until after the civil war.

One fairly major irony of the civil war is the fact that abolition in the context of the civil war almost caused revolution in the north. The northerners didn't really like the idea that they were fighting and dying just to free the southern blacks. To preserve the union. Lincoln's party had managed to convince the north that the south was traitorous and what's more the aggressors in the conflict, even. When it became about slavery, they wanted his head on a pike for getting their sons/husbands killed for the cause.

The biggest irony in the imposed end to slavery is that the institution was doomed. Machinery was being developed that would've made plantation slavery completely ruinous in both yeild and cost. Support of slavery, even in the south, was by no means universal. By the turn of the century slaves would've been the folly and luxury of people who could afford a slave just for menial house labor, at worst. At best, the few remaining slaves would've long since been manumitted and rehired as paid labor. It was cheaper.

jrl on June 24, 2007, 11:21:53 pm
An excellent analysis of the "War of Northern Aggression," Leviathan.

I've been pointing out lately that the Civil Rights Movement was not "Democracy in Action."

The Jim Crow laws were democracy in action: An angry, disenfranchised majority regained ther franchise at the end of Reconstruction and took it out on those they felt had harmed them (at least since the carpet baggers were mostly out of reach.)

The Civil Rights Movement was about shaming the majority into acknowledging the rights the minority should have had all along.

Rocketman on June 25, 2007, 10:21:16 am
I don't remember ever seeing any of Hitler's artwork before.  He really did have some serious artistic talent.   You kind of have to speculate what might have happened if the WW1 armistance terms of the allies had not been so strict which rightly angered the german people allowing the Nazi party to slip in.  Hitler today might have been know as a relatively successful painter just as Fidel Castro might have been a relatively successful baseball player.  Makes you wonder.   ;D

Zen Redneck on June 25, 2007, 04:40:21 pm

klausmeyer on July 20, 2007, 08:58:58 am
Oh, she's only the third female Texan President. The first was Phoebe Ann Mosey, Marine hero of the Venezuela war (1895-6)...

Is there more information about this war in the graphic novel? Where can I find it? Thank you.

Zen Redneck on July 20, 2007, 02:31:15 pm
Not in the novel, but in my backstory notes I have:

"1895 British Guiana-Venezuela border dispute grows hot.  British Navy shells Caracas and
British Marines land and capture the capital.  Sumner confers with his cabinet and Congress,
then presents British ambassador with the ultimatum that British forces withdraw from
Venezuela or face a declaration of war from Texas. Britain refuses.  Sumner asks for, and
receives, a declaration of war from Congress.  Sumner resigns, as Texan law requires, and
joins Texan Army as a private. Begay is sworn in as President. Texan Navy attacks Georgetown and Jamaican/Texan forces storm and capture the British Naval base there, led by General Phoebe Ann Mosey of the Texas Marine Corps.

"1896  The war continues, with British counterattacks against Texas in Central America and Cuba.  President Begay is assassinated by a British agent.  Secretary of State James Jones Quarles is sworn in as President.
California enters war on Texan side, attacks and seizes Hawaii, which is at the time a British Pretectorate.

"Emperess Isabella of Brazil offers to mediate an end to the Anglo-Texan war.  Treaty of Rio restores
British Naval base in Jamaica, but Britain must cede most of Guyana to Venezuela.  Venezuela petitions
for statehood in Texas."

And that, I believe, is the last time Texas declared war on anybody.

Mosey is elected President in 1904 and 1907.  You can buy a picture of her here:
http://www.laughingravy21.com/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=80103&c=104201&i=195512336

klausmeyer on July 27, 2007, 02:37:51 pm
Not in the novel, but in my backstory notes I have:

Thank you very much!

Greetings.

jayphailey on August 05, 2007, 08:25:39 am

Since moving to Wyoming I've been rather shocked by the open disdain and prejudice harbored against Mexicans by Coloradoans and Wyomingites alike (well, most of them, Neil is an exception). My father explains it has much to do with the fact that most of the Mexicans encountered here are peasant immigrants, often migrant farm laborers, and the racism is based on classism as much as anything.

I grew up in Southern California.  I Moved to Spokane in 1990.

A lot of Anti-mexican feeling up here seems rooted in abject ignorance.

Like everyone else, Latino folks are not all one thing,  you have your stand up folks and your weasels -  it's not like character is color coded.

It seems like a lot of people think of Spanish ebing Spojken and get resentful and vaguely fearful.  I don't get that at all.

Jay ~Meow!~

Zen Redneck on August 05, 2007, 06:43:14 pm
It's an ethnicity thing. Ethnic groups differ from each other, and most all of us belong to one ethnic group or another. There are big cultural differences between some ethnic groups, and people are at least vaguely aware of them. Latino or Mexican culture includes things that are unpalatable to American culture. Simple as that. Tolerance is only possible within limits. There has to be an overarching agreement on minimal standards of behavior for there to be peace among differing ethnic groups. We're not there yet. Obviously.

archy on August 23, 2007, 12:11:51 pm
Well... I was going to make my first post a lovely speech about the brave people of Mexican descent who called themselves Texicans and fought on our side, but I see Mixed-blood beat me to it.

And who sometimes wore playing cards in their hatbands so's the Anglo Texians wouldn't mistake them for those of the other side. I was introduced to that little tidbit of history when working with a quiet little Minuteman volunteer named Pepe, who 'splained it to me when I asked howcome the Jack of Diamonds in his Stetson's band.

You have to wonder how the feller who was wearing the Ace of Spades felt about it, tho.

anything