Rocketman on June 29, 2007, 08:22:39 am
No doubt that ring has a dilithium crystal.  Sorry, but as a old Star Trek fan I just couldn't resist.  :D :D :D.  It seems that everyone who guessed that the jewelry they were weariing was lethal was correct.

Frank B. on June 29, 2007, 11:57:31 am
Yeah, and if that's what the jewelry on their fingers can do, I really have to wonder what the jewelery on some of the girl's bikini bottoms can do.  :o

Zen Redneck on June 29, 2007, 12:29:53 pm
Actually, the rings contain quantum black holes.   The whole idea came up while I was channeling Benny Hill.

Zeppflyer on June 29, 2007, 02:37:49 pm
Imagine what would happen if they reversed the polarity of the confinement beam and reconfigured them to emit a tachyon pulse.  Of course, that might create a subharmonic feedback loop and create micro fractures in the dilithium matrix.

I started using Treknobabble around the house when I realized that it was easier than actually trying to explain to my mother what was wrong with the computer.

Rocketman on June 29, 2007, 09:16:12 pm
If you've been doing that for any length of time your mother must be one VERY CONFUSED WOMAN.  ;D

jrl on June 29, 2007, 09:20:01 pm
Given what the girls rings can do, I wonder if the necklaces and what not aren't force field body armor/climate control devices.

On Earth, their outfits would  only be consistently comfortable in the tropics, and only at low altitudes at that, so they need some sort of help, though I expect they are more comfortably dressed for Roswell in July (during the daytime anyway) than Betty Mae is!

For that matter, such a technology would have made terraforming Mars a LOT easier.

Frankjc3rd on June 30, 2007, 01:58:41 am
Could this possibly be a glimpse of the §force projectors from the "Henry Martyn" and "Bretta Martyn" books?  The description in the book would appear to resemble more of an arm brace than anything else.  Then again these folks ARE from 300 years in the future.  I am surprised the good Professor doesn't have a ring like that.  But that would have given away too much too soon.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 07:59:00 pm by Frankjc3rd »
Nothing is forever, but the internet comes close.
Anonymous
I know me, I've seen me do it.
Ron White

Scott on June 30, 2007, 11:27:43 am
I don't recall where it comes out in the script, but the reason Gokk doesn't have a cool ray-gun is that the one he did have was damaged in the crash. That's why he got loaners from Bettie.

The whole point of this bit being so that, A) We could have the gag of three furry, three-fingered arms holding out three upside-down pistols when Gokk is introduced, and B) so we could do the surprise bit with Lowella Getz' ring-weapon.

Remember, folks, this is a comedy.  As such, if you over-analyze it, it will tend to fall apart.

Zen Redneck on June 30, 2007, 03:59:39 pm
And, Steve Martin notwithstanding, sometimes comedy is pretty!

Leviathan on July 04, 2007, 01:58:47 pm
Umm, Mister Scott Bieser author person?  This is all I can find that supports that.  Which is technically a conjecture on the part of the ranger, rather than a statement from Gokk.  Might wanna put it in the dialog for upcoming installments if they haven't already been finalized  ;D

I am enjoying the comic, though.

Rocketman on July 04, 2007, 03:00:33 pm
Scott:
     I'm the one who suggested that maybe Gokk's weapons were damaged by the crash (Reply #8 of "Time Traveling History Professors from Mars".  Your not confusing my post with the script are you?

Scott on August 12, 2007, 07:55:47 am
No, that was Neil's explanation to me (I can't recall at this point whether it was an aside in the script or a phone conversation). There may be nothing in the dialog or narration about it. Just a coincidence that you guessed correctly.

Rocketman on August 13, 2007, 06:02:06 am
That's interesting.  L. Neil and I both came to the same logical conclusion.  I guess the old saw is true.  Great minds do think alike.   ;D ;D ;D

archy on August 23, 2007, 01:05:07 pm
No doubt that ring has a dilithium crystal.  Sorry, but as a old Star Trek fan I just couldn't resist.  :D :D :D.  It seems that everyone who guessed that the jewelry they were weariing was lethal was correct.

Hmmm. Let's see, a REALLY intense light-emitting diode, a synthetic ruby crystal, dilithium or otherwise, and one heckuva hearing aid battery, [or several stacked in series] with prudence suggesting a control/arming safety means of circuit interruption. Off to Radio Shack for components!
Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....

anything