devilchef on August 04, 2006, 12:11:18 am
Am I right to guess this.  Also when will The Rat Pack, Elvis and Ronald Reagan be showing up?

Mike Mordant on August 04, 2006, 09:33:23 am
Hitler and Popeye in the same panel!  Nice touch since Popeye did fight Nazis in the old propaganda animated cartoons in the 40’s.  And Popeye would probably do well with the alternate universe Galveston as home port.

The handlebar is an improvement over our Hitler’s postage stamp.

Of course the point is that societies with high levels of freedom produce vastly different and positive results than oppressive societies.  LNS’s writing makes that clear in a very entertaining way.

John DeWitt on August 04, 2006, 12:16:30 pm
Hmmm.  I also like the alternate Hitlery.  But...you shoot the main character, he's headed for the ground, continued in our next exciting episode...and then you give me nine pages on the domestic life of Hitler?  Guys.

You know we're waiting a week between installments here, right?

Scott on August 05, 2006, 12:07:43 pm
You know, not once did we use the name "Hitler" in this sequnce, yet everyone knew who it was. Am I that good an artist?

The moustache was how Hitler actually wore it when he was a soldier in WWI, according to a photograph taken shortly after the war. In actual history he shaved it down to the postage stamp in about 1920, as this was a popular style at the time. I decided that in our FST timeline he should keep the longer version, sort of as a way of symbolizing his continuing an artistic career rather than going (so disastrously) into politics.

Jen Zach on August 06, 2006, 12:39:14 pm
I watched the movie "Frida" while I was working on these pages, and boy did I find it weird during the dinner scene where Diego Rivera and Trotsky were talking about Hitler, lol.

A side note, Hitler wasn't actually a vegetarian in practice- he kinda thought he was, but even someone who went by the old fashioned idea of vegetarian that included fish in the diet wouldn't eat liver dumplings and squab! (And no, he didn't stop eating these and stick to vegetarianism for any extended period of time- he just went on periodic self-medicating diet changes) Two things Hitler didn't do terribly well at... being an artist, and being a vegetarian :P (Oh, and, taking over the world. He kinda failed at that, too.)

I'm glad that Rivera only says he's "moderately talanted", 'cause I've seen slides of Hitler's work in my art History class. He did a lot of landscapes, but there was always something off. One that sticks out in my mind had an elk in front of a waterfall, and the elk had a cloud of steam coming out of its mouth... it looked so unnatural, and slightly ridiculous. But it wasn't as though he was *trying* for something stylized and modern, it just looks like he failed at getting it to look natural. In any case, *not* really a style that Diego would be very impressed with- but probably enough talant to serve as an apprentice.

That's my interpretation, anyway. I had severe reservations about this little mini-arc until I saw that in the end Hitler was rendered harmless, not necessarily redeemed (someone can be an artist and still be a pretty terrible person), and in the end made a total buffoon, to the embarassment of his family. Standing on the roof yelling at the top of his lungs, like some kind of parody of his political speeches, standing high above the crowds.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 12:41:54 pm by Jen Zach »

John DeWitt on August 07, 2006, 11:56:33 am
You know, not once did we use the name "Hitler" in this sequnce, yet everyone knew who it was. Am I that good an artist?

Clearly, the answer to that is obvious.  ;D

I also noticed that you never named the Bavarian artist, which I thought was a nice touch.  Just don't know how it ties in - Other than the Sam Hill reference - with Wild Bill headin' for the ground.

Scott on August 10, 2006, 12:58:46 am
The Hitler story doesn't really "tie-in" to Win Bear having been shot. It's simply a digression to provide some historical background, explain how Sam Hill came to be, and otherwise flesh-out this alternative world we're presenting. It's also a device to bridge between the scene atop Sam Hill and the next time we see Wild Bill and the Rangers -- which will be about 100 miles away, and a half-day later.

Redem on September 29, 2006, 07:38:03 pm
ok as much as I found roswell,texas campy fun I kinda spot several point (in that part in specific) that bug me

*Hitler wasn't a bavarian he was born in austria.

*Hitler didn't paint people he did landscape

*Hum why did they elect her daughter? I mean sure she's a talented and all, but that doesn't mean people would be willing to get her president. I mean did the U.S elect Gutzon Borglum president? and she was elected before 1947, did any woman had any chance of getting elected president by the time in our timeline(we just started to have woman eligibable for the post)?

a question, are latino have the same right as white? wouldn't Texas have some kind of grudge agaisnt mexico and people of Mexican ancestry (and hence someone of both mexican and foreign ancestry get her chance to become president totally busted, considering conversative force)

Zen Redneck on September 29, 2006, 09:31:50 pm
Actually, that sidebar about Corazon is 'out of time', so to speak.   She was President after Lindbergh I.  If I remember right, she was then followed by Goldwater, and then he was followed by Lindbergh II (That's not carved in stone).

In OTL, we've never elected an artist President, but we elected an Actor — a visitor from the Texas timeline would probably be pretty astonished about Reagan, when you think about it.  As it says, Texas likes heroes, and since career politicians are comparatively rare, they tend to elect people of accomplishment.   And as the daughter of a famous artist, and a famous, innovative artist in her own right, Corazon was a natural.

Oh, she's only the third female Texan President.  The first was Phoebe Ann Mosey, Marine hero of the Venezuela war (1895-6), and the second was Margaret Tobin Brown, Governor of Lamar State, and famous for organizing rescue efforts when the _Titanic_ went down, and later shooting the owner of the shipping line.  She successfully kept Texas out of WW I.

As for Latinos, by 1947 Texas had had two Presidents of Mexican descent, Juan Nepomuceno Seguin and Benito Juarez.  It was established early on that being a Texan was a state of mind, and not of ancestry.   Also by that year, Texas had three African-descended Presidents — Toussaint Crockett Marcus Garvey and George Schuyler.  Oh, and Sam Houston Begay, a Navajo, and Judah Benjamin, of Jewish descent.

And you're right about Bavaria.  I noticed that and forgot to correct it.  And in OTL, Hitler may not have done portraits, but in Texas, he stuck with art, and of course did a much greater variety of things.  However, his syndicated comic strip about two mischievious boys, called "Sturm und Drang," never really caught on.

Redem on September 30, 2006, 08:49:02 am
actually we may elect actor as president, but we preferably have them governor of a major state before (although it make a bit more sense thank you) well it was a bit confusing because the Sam Hill look complete when they pass it.

May I ask how texas civil right institution seem to be on growt hormone? I mean in our timeline texas was a slave state. Not really good ground for a state of racial equality if you ask me.

Zen Redneck on September 30, 2006, 10:59:57 am
Sam Hill was indeed complete before 1947.  She was elected President several years after that.  If memory serves, she'd been Senator from Santa Fé for awhile before becoming President.

President Crockett made provisions for gradual abolition of slavery circa 1842.  Philosophical underpinnings for racial equality were established by Presidents Sam Clemens and Wm Graham Sumner.  By the time of George Schuyler's presidency, it was beyond dispute.

Redem on September 30, 2006, 12:10:35 pm
Hum considering those are elected office they need to have support in the population before doing anything (and considering how radical those reform are they need heavy support)

Zen Redneck on September 30, 2006, 10:17:24 pm
Ah, to clear up a misconception about Corazón:  She is not the daughter of either Frida Kahlo or Guadalupe Marín.   In this timeline, Diego Rivera married much earlier, when he was quite young, in 1904, and his daughter, Maria, was born in 1906.  She married Adolf Hitler in 1924 and Corazón was born in 1925.  She built Sam Hill from 1944 to 1947 and was elected President of Texas in 1952.

Scott on October 16, 2006, 07:05:09 pm
I had also noted the disparity wrt "Bavarian immigrant" but figured that since this is an alternate timeline, Hitler's family could have moved to Bavaria while he was young, so he would have considered himself "of" that place rather than Austria. Or, since he had been living in Bavaria the last few years before emmigrating to Texas, he would have listed "Bavaria" as his point of origin in travel documents and of course in Texas the attitude would be "Austria, Bavaria, Westphalia, what's the difference?"