cyberbard on February 27, 2009, 02:09:16 pm
I'll wager that Guy is about to set himself up in a modest, though respectable apartment, and gradually integrate himself in Cerenian (?) society.  Of course, he will tell his superiors (if/when they pry) that he's doing his best to make his extended stay on Ceres more comfortable, and that if he chooses to use his salary (that they provide via the direct gold account) on a local apartment instead of staying in the local hotel, that's his choice.  Or, he could say "If I must spend the rest of my career exiled to this frontier backwater, can I at least do it in some comfort?"

All the while becoming more and more Cerenian and less and less Terrain.  Guy's going to get a piece of the Rock.

Seriously, I think he wanted a clean slate.  It would be gneiss if Ceres works out for him, but there's no pumice that it will.  He's got a lot of schist to deal with at the moment, so he's in for a tuff time no matter what happens.

SandySandfort on February 27, 2009, 05:55:52 pm
Seriously, I think he wanted a clean slate.  It would be gneiss if Ceres works out for him, but there's no pumice that it will.  He's got a lot of schist to deal with at the moment, so he's in for a tuff time no matter what happens.

You rock.

Leviathan on February 28, 2009, 09:32:15 pm
Wouldn't it be "welcome to the icecube", though?  ;)

Rocketman on March 02, 2009, 09:43:35 am
I think that Cyberbard is right in that Guy wants to start with a clean slate.  But things are seldom as clean and clear as that.  One, at least technically, he is still working for the UWRS.  Two, he probably feels some type of loyalty to his employers, at least subconsciously.  Three, he's not completely sure that he can trust his new friends not to stab him in the back if it's in their best interest to do so.  He remembers the World Ceres pennent incident.

Leviathan on March 03, 2009, 02:06:20 am
"Welcome to the rock you'll probably never want to crawl back out from under!"  ;D

They weren't joking when they said their standard of living makes them rich by terran standards, in other words.  I imagine that's pretty much a basic wallscreen, and as close to dorm living as they come outside of hotel rooms.  Though the big surprise might be if the hotel rooms had similar wallscreens, but Guy and Fiorella just never figured such a thing could be there and nobody showed them how to work'em.

Or they just assumed they were getting luxury suites for that luxurious gold.

Oh, I just ran into something that is probably actually already part of the thinking behind the wallscreen.  They've apparently made a flexible LCD material, capable of being produced in almost any size you could ask for in theory.  Whereas glass LCD from my understanding is just about at the limits of the technology for screen size.  They expect to be rolling out billboard-sized screens in the next few years.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:20:32 am by Leviathan »

cyberbard on March 03, 2009, 08:13:11 am
Oh, I just ran into something that is probably actually already part of the thinking behind the wallscreen.  They've apparently made a flexible LCD material, capable of being produced in almost any size you could ask for in theory.  Whereas glass LCD from my understanding is just about at the limits of the technology for screen size.  They expect to be rolling out billboard-sized screens in the next few years.

My workplace has a prototype.  It's the size of a theater screen!  It can be rolled up, but the theater techs generally don't, because it takes FOREVER.  They generally just lower the standard screen in front of it when the LCD one isn't being used, with a black scrim between them to protect the LCD from glare.  Again, it's a prototype.  Kinks and problems with the tech are to be expected.

Rocketman on March 03, 2009, 10:56:13 am
One of the things that I always wished for when I was still CAD designing was a much bigger screen than the one that I had.  Back then we had the little 13 inch diagonal screens that you constantly had to move from one part of the drawing to another to find problems with clearance fits when you were mating two different parts together.  Not only was it easy to miss something that you had to go back and fix after the design review but you would always be shifting sizes to be able to see detailed parts which slowed you down.  Always caused me eye strain.  A screen the size of one of the newer flat screen TV's would have been perfect for me back then.

Sean Roach on March 03, 2009, 01:14:50 pm
I'm waiting until they come out with layerable digital wallpaper.
I figure you'll lay it SOMEwhat square, wire in the bottom edge, plug in a camera across from it, and let it self align for an hour.

...and if they can incorporate a piezoelectric bump surface, that could detect contact as well as deform the surface topology, it'd become not only truly texturable, but be a workable touch screen as well.

Leviathan on March 04, 2009, 12:54:35 am
If the screen can act as a real screen, in realtime, I'd usually want it either plain or showing video if I'm watching it.

I don't CAD, or render outside of games.  But the wallscreen-played game would kick ass.

As far as the story, yay he's going to be an accountant for a company that doesn't suck, and he's gonna get a pretty decent apartment out of the deal.

cyberbard on March 04, 2009, 08:08:22 am
As far as the story, yay he's going to be an accountant for a company that doesn't suck, and he's gonna get a pretty decent apartment out of the deal.

QFT.  Apparently the title was bogus, but the job offer was real.

Monkt on March 04, 2009, 08:46:04 am

QFT.  Apparently the title was bogus, but the job offer was real.
I think the title is just if the UWRS starts asking questions.

Rocketman on March 04, 2009, 10:28:55 am
As I said before in an eariler post technically he's still working for the UWRS.  Can anyone say "conflict of interest?"  ;D

Leviathan on March 04, 2009, 07:27:31 pm
To pull from another comic strip, I believe schlock mercenary has a few things to say about conflicts of interest:

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20000701.html
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20010515.html

Rocketman on March 05, 2009, 07:25:17 am
Gee, an attorney that is really a snake!  Wow!  What a novel concept!  Chortle, snort, gafahh, Wheeze.   ;D