wdg3rd on February 22, 2009, 08:05:34 am

As for soldiers wanting to "give something back," I don't think anyone, or at least very few, has fought or died for his country since the American revolution. Many have fought and died for the special interests which the government serves, but their efforts have only damaged freedom, their countrymen and themselves. (Yeah, I know, it's a minority opinion, but like everyone else, I AM a minority.)[/b]

Well, the last time the United States was actually invaded by foreign (nominally British, but most were actually conscripts from Canada) troops was during the "War of 1812".  Sorry, but the attack on the Navy Base at Pearl Harbor wasn't an invasion, as Hawaii was a territory, not a state (and there were still folks who remembered when it was an independent kingdom), and if US citizens were pissed off about attacks on US "possessions", the earlier invasion of the Philipines was as good an excuse, if not as dramatic to the US mainlanders, to join the fray FDR so desperately needed to cover his economic failures.

I'm looking to the future in the strip, as I assume that EarthGov is looking for a war with Ceres for the same reason that FDR looked (and finagled) for a war with the Axis, a high fever to mask their domestic failures and distract the plebes.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

SandySandfort on February 22, 2009, 08:32:30 am
I'm looking to the future in the strip, as I assume that EarthGov is looking for a war with Ceres for the same reason that FDR looked (and finagled) for a war with the Axis, a high fever to mask their domestic failures and distract the plebes.

There are any number of reasons that the UW would want to conquer the Belters. The primary carrot and stick are to gain their wealth and to cover up bad economic management at home. Another reason is that those in power don't like it when they are ignored or disobeyed. I you are familiar with the psychology of a bully, you pretty much understand the leadership of all governments.

wdg3rd on February 22, 2009, 10:26:11 am

[bI you are familiar with the psychology of a bully, you pretty much understand the leadership of all governments.[/b]

I live three blocks away from the storefront where the guys hang out wearing their colors.  (The local Cop Shop).  I'm across the street from the house one of the top thugs grew up in (Captain of Detectives -- drives a white Hummer my property taxes pays the gas for).

I went through Los Angeles public schools until I moved to Nuevo Hampshire for the last three years of high school (there were bullies there too, but I had more street smarts).  I regret leaving there for college (aborted, wound up in the USAF), but I've gained a lot of experience that will help me when I move back up there.  Just waiting for La Esposa to finally realize the town she grew up in isn't worth dying in.  (This town was named after General Philip Kearny, one of the less incompetent Union generals until he was killed by "friendly fire", nephew of Colonel Stephen Kearny who conquered California for the US by surrounding the national capital of California at San Jose with thousands of Federal troops [not mentioned in my grade school "History of California" lessons] ).
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

KBCraig on February 23, 2009, 12:45:04 am
Well, the last time the United States was actually invaded by foreign (nominally British, but most were actually conscripts from Canada) troops was during the "War of 1812".

I suppose that depends on "invasion" requiring a certain scale, because the Germans certainly invaded during WWII, albeit in small groups and wearing civilian clothes. Today we would call that a "special forces operation".

Leviathan on February 23, 2009, 05:19:14 am
Well, invasion implies a concerted effort to take territory between two powers.  In an anarchy, that would be a government invading sovereign individuals really.  The agents in question weren't so much invaders as they were engaging in "strategic disruption", could call it terrorism, without any aims of removing territory. 

And it was about the only threat Germany could've posed on this side of the pond.  They couldn't even capture England, ffs!  Even without lend-lease, they weren't in a position to do it.  All lend-lease maybe allowed England was a little more retaliatory ability.  They were losing Africa before we ever got involved.  Russia, thanks to harsh climate, wasn't in danger of succumbing anytime soon.  Germany stretched as far as it could, and it was going to die on its own.  The only people they were a threat to were their own, like any state.

Rocketman on February 23, 2009, 09:58:34 am
Your also leaving out the "Alaska" invasion by the Japanese in WW2 but of course Alaska was only a territory back then and not a full state.