Lun-Sei on January 26, 2009, 06:35:14 am

I like how the plot is going on! There are some very nice artistic touches here and there.

However, it's when I really like something that I feel more keen on criticizing it, since I wouldn't lose time to point out possible faults on things I don't even care about.

And so, here's my little "complaints":

- on that page when Odysseus and his sailmates are starving, all we get is an image of them on the ground and the letters STARVATION written over it. Isn't that a bit cheap? The technique of integrating words to a scene in order to represent a situation, suits well asian comics and their culture, but it doesn't belong to a western comic. It seems to me like the illustrator wanted to make things quick and so, instead of using a whole page to slowly show how the men are starving, he quickly dispatches it by writing "yes they're starving, so....".

- Why does Helios look like an american superhero? Argh! Because whenever I look at him, I can't shake off the idea of a very goofy superhero look. I know this comic makes a lot of references to modern culture, but aren't superheroes a bit too... plain?

Scott on January 26, 2009, 07:51:01 pm
Lun-Sei,

I don't feel I need to be straight-jacketed by what is supposed to "belong" in a Western comic versus an Asian comic. Especially since this technique has been used in Western comics in the past. Go look at Will Eisner's stuff some time.

I could have filled a page with the men laying on the deck and moaning, but people still would have wondered what their problem was (it could have been a plague of some kind), without some kind of clarifying dialog. We wanted to move the story swiftly along, especially with this page-a-day serialization we're doing. The ghostly "STARVATION" letters seemed to me the best .

As far as Helios goes: In the first place, Poseidon also looks like an American superhero, except of course for the long beard and all the hair. There's a reason for this: the Western ideal of the "heroic" male figure, which was the inspiration for superhero artists since Joe Shuster, is based on classical Greek and Roman renditions of what the gods looked like. The overly-muscled bodies, the strong jaws, straight noses, etc. Poseidon has the beard and long hair because he was frequently represented that way in Greco-Roman art and also in contemporary Hollywood.

When I went to design Helios, who is in many ways Poseidon's opposite number (sun evaporates the seas, but clouds block sunlight), I gave him the "greek god" body but also made him completely hairless, and radiant-white. It looks fitting to me.

(Before you object that Hermes doesn't have the massive physique of either Poseidon or Helios, bear in mind that the gods were not all equal -- Hermes had no realm that he ruled over, he was the Olympians' gofer. Therefore he is rendered smaller.)

Lun-Sei on January 28, 2009, 06:07:02 am

I never heard about this Will Eisner before, as I don't have much knowledge about comic art. So I really can't say. I do have a good knowledge of ancient Asian arts, though, and that may be because I saw so much of a japanese influence in that "STARVATION" panel. I may just tend to see it everywhere - who knows?

I still disapprove of Helios'looks, and I never once thought that Poseidon was made to look into an American superhero. He's just a big, strong, manly looking guy, just like (some of)  Greek gods were represented as.
Wherein Helios was made to look quite much like an american superhero: the typical Silver Surfer or rather, Human Torch. I never saw anything like that in ancient Greek art, from what I remember.

KSClaw on January 31, 2009, 03:56:08 pm
Lun-sei:

Will Eisner was the creator of comics like "The Spirit", "A family matter" and "A contract with God". He passed away in 2005

BHP:

I like how this comic is going so far, even though I was a bit surprised at how you started from Circe's island, but that's just me. Otherwise I love how things are going.. I couldn't help but go  "aaaand we're back where we started" at the last panel XD

bbwolf on March 05, 2009, 06:37:58 pm
Itīs going wonderfull I think. Havin Helios featureless was a surprise, but thatīs why I am adiicted to this comic.
Constant surprise thou the story is such a well known classic. Like the art, the style and the storytelling. Both thumbs.

Personally I really love the last Poseidon / Odysseus  dialog. The change in Pīs appearance related to his mood
is so cool as well as the expressions of O. They hate each others guts, but yet theyīre kinda like old friend bickering
venomously about something they both forget 40 years ago. Still kinda fond of each other but totally at odds.

SDGrant on May 11, 2009, 07:45:50 pm
Lun-sei:

Will Eisner was the creator of comics like "The Spirit", "A family matter" and "A contract with God". He passed away in 2005

BHP:

I like how this comic is going so far, even though I was a bit surprised at how you started from Circe's island, but that's just me. Otherwise I love how things are going.. I couldn't help but go  "aaaand we're back where we started" at the last panel XD

I considered a more traditional approach to the story, but Big Head really didn't want to do a four-or-five hundred page book - it's running long as is - and as Scott and I have both gone increasingly wackier and more personal with the material as we've gone along, I feel it worked out better this way.  At the point where I said, "I'm kind of thinking the Greek Hell should be New York City," everything became new territory...

- Grant