SandySandfort on February 04, 2009, 08:19:13 am
I'm glad to see that Reggie actually likes/respects Guy.  It sounds like Reggie sees Guy as a "diamond in the rough."  I don't know if the rest of the gang on Ceres has the same opinion of Guy, though.

Reggie is highly respected and his opinion carries a lot of weight. Guy, personally, was never the enemy. If he comes back, I'm pretty sure Belters will judge him on his own merits. That's how free people do things.

Leviathan on February 06, 2009, 02:03:32 am
Okay everyone, back away slowly and keep smiling. He has a coffee mug and he knows how to use it.

It's worse than that.  I don't know how to use it, yet I have one and am intent on doing so!  Run for your lives  ;D

As for Guy's return to the belts, I suspect if he ever manages to extract the stick-shaped diamond (that was once an ordinary stick) from his ass, he'll get along just fine.  Unfortunately until the end of his first stay, he was still insisting on dictating terms to the poor, defenseless, downtrodden belters, heh.  Maybe it'll occur to him that he never chose the profession, the government stooges chose it for him based on some aptitude score or other.  Reminds me of some of the ways Russia would do things, actually.  Worked <sarcasm>just great</sarcasm> for them, heh.  After such a crushing defeat, though, people have two choices.  Start over and hope it doesn't follow you forever, or become a supervillain and show them all.  Show them all!

wdg3rd on February 07, 2009, 06:33:30 am
Okay everyone, back away slowly and keep smiling. He has a coffee mug and he knows how to use it.

It's worse than that.  I don't know how to use it, yet I have one and am intent on doing so!  Run for your lives  ;D

As for Guy's return to the belts, I suspect if he ever manages to extract the stick-shaped diamond (that was once an ordinary stick) from his ass, he'll get along just fine.  Unfortunately until the end of his first stay, he was still insisting on dictating terms to the poor, defenseless, downtrodden belters, heh.  Maybe it'll occur to him that he never chose the profession, the government stooges chose it for him based on some aptitude score or other.  Reminds me of some of the ways Russia would do things, actually.  Worked <sarcasm>just great</sarcasm> for them, heh.  After such a crushing defeat, though, people have two choices.  Start over and hope it doesn't follow you forever, or become a supervillain and show them all.  Show them all!

Lev, a lot of us never "chose" our "professions".  Presently I'm a clerk.  In the past I was the second-best tech support guy Tandy ever had for their Xenix systems, then I did tech support and sysadmin for too damned many places.   I just wanted to be a writer (but it's a skill I really don't have, though I got top grades for my papers from a professor I respect).  My present goal is to be a restaurateur, since I'm the best chili chef in the libertarian end of the political spectrum.  (And there is no chili worth eating presently being served north of Massachusetts).  (Probable nothing worth calling chili in Mass. either, but I tend to go around the place, it's gone downhill since the 1770s [Mom's family moved up to New Hampshire in the 1690s, but Mom joined the army and wound up in Los Angeles]).

I wanted to be an astronaut.  I want to abolish NASA so I can actually get past orbit. (it's not always personal failings that cause failures, but if you're a bureaucrat or politician you can pass them on to somebody who takes failings personally).

Oh crap.  I think I came up with a new addition to the long series of Murphy's laws.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Leviathan on February 08, 2009, 07:44:20 am
Pfft, somebody carrying a gun didn't come to your place, yank you out, and force you to be a clerk.  Neither a tech support guy or sysadmin.  Do recall Guy's talk about how he became a government accountant, however.  His family farm was taken from him, collectivised, and he was put into accounting school.  No choice.  Do it or suffer.  Do it or else.  After all, it's the most efficient way to run things.  Take people and make them do whatever is best for society to have them be doing!  It's for the good of the many!

And do recall that this was essentially how Russia made its engineers, biologists, doctors.  The state selected those who were deemed most apt for it, pushed them through schooling, and then sat them in front of a desk/etc. to do their job without ever asking if they're more interested in doing some other field.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 07:46:35 am by Leviathan »

SandySandfort on February 08, 2009, 11:46:48 am
Do recall Guy's talk about how he became a government accountant, however.  His family farm was taken from him, collectivised, and he was put into accounting school.  No choice.  Do it or suffer.  Do it or else.  After all, it's the most efficient way to run things.  Take people and make them do whatever is best for society to have them be doing!  It's for the good of the many!

EFT is adapted from short stories I write. Due to the nature of the graphic medium, we have to drop a lot of exposition from the strip. So here is some insight into the back story. While Guy was railroaded into accounting courses by the UW educational system, he actually rather likes accounting and takes pride in doing his job well. The tragedy is that his boyhood dreams were taken from him... or at least repressed.

(I think I will monkey around with the fonts a bit more. Bold looks nice and is easier for my old eyes to read. Please bear with me as I get it out of my system.)

Rocketman on February 08, 2009, 01:45:39 pm
Bold (white) is better for my old eyes as well Sandy.  On occasion what a young person is "assigned" to at a young age is what a person is generally interested in and it works out well that he has gone into that profession.  Having said that it is also true that many times a person finds out that the job that has been picked for him / her sucks but now their stuck with it.  I didn't get the job originally that I wanted either which was a aerospace designer.  (long long story on that) I took aviation classes to get my ATP multiengine instrument license from the FAA but ran out of money before I could finish.  I started a BS in Business but found out that it just wasn't challenging enough for me.  I ended up with a AS degree in industrial machine design (mechanical drafting) and ended up getting on at Pratt and Whitney down in W. Palm Beach Florida.  With a natural affinity to aviation I found it to be a good fit and worked my way up by taking additional classes at night and working during the day.  Robotics, Electrical courses, Computer design training on autocad and unigraphics and so on.  So in conclusion, I think it's what you have that you put to use rather than what your assigned to that makes the difference in life.  :D

cyberbard on February 10, 2009, 09:50:06 am
EFT is adapted from short stories I write. Due to the nature of the graphic medium, we have to drop a lot of exposition from the strip. So here is some insight into the back story. While Guy was railroaded into accounting courses by the UW educational system, he actually rather likes accounting and takes pride in doing his job well. The tragedy is that his boyhood dreams were taken from him... or at least repressed.

If he defects to Ceres, he'll get another chance at those dreams!  Or at least something in the spirit of them.

But then that's probably the whole point of the story.
 :D

SandySandfort on February 10, 2009, 10:07:35 am

If he defects to Ceres, he'll get another chance at those dreams!  Or at least something in the spirit of them.

But then that's probably the whole point of the story.
 :D

Maybe one point.  ;)

quadibloc on July 07, 2011, 03:27:58 pm
I think I will monkey around with the fonts a bit more. Bold looks nice and is easier for my old eyes to read. Please bear with me as I get it out of my system.)
Speaking of fonts, which one do you use for the lettering for the comic? I can't seem to find it in the Comicraft, Blambot, or Canada Type catalogs... and I've found one other comic (Nikki Sprite) that also uses it.

... never mind. I looked a bit harder, and have found it. From Blambot: Lint McCree.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:54:42 pm by quadibloc »