John DeWitt on January 30, 2009, 10:24:05 am
The World Ceres Pennant?

You ended the fricking thing - rather abruptly, I might add - on a bad pun?

For shame.  For shame.

Good story, BTW. 

cyberbard on January 30, 2009, 11:12:43 am
Indeed, a bad pun.  But a clever one.

I'm glad the footer says "not the end," because there are lots of loose ends flying around. 

Guy's wavering convictions being the most ovbious loose end in play.  I may be over-thinking this, but Guy did seem a little rattled after his second meeting with King Reggie.  He was certainly rattled after Fia planted that whopper kiss on him.  Guy has always pictured himself as a type of hero, fighting for the benefit of the commoners.  If he returns to Ceres, he can be that hero for the commoners of Ceres.  Granted, in terms of wealth, the commoners of Ceres may not need a "Robin Hood," but they will appreciate someone who can keep the UWRS at bay.  Since Guy knows how the URWS operates, he could be very effective at keeping them contained.  On Ceres, he could make a difference, and people would acknowledge his actions.  Having a chance to perhaps get into Fia's jumpsuit would be the coup de grace.   On Terra, he's just a jumped-up clerk that few (if any) give a toss about.

That stuff didn't need to be said, because it's pretty obvious, but I wanted to say it anyway.  :)

The next big loose end is who tried to kill him in the transit tube?  Guy is a pretty stoic kind of... uh, guy, but I can't see him letting that one slide.  And for that matter, neither will most of the other people in the strip.  A saboteur brings some pretty nasty implications on several levels.  Question is, can Ceres' legal system handle such a person?  And if so, how?

Anyway, this is clearly the end of an arc, but I hope it's not the end of the story.  I've been enjoying this story a lot; I hope there will eventually be more.

Monkt on January 30, 2009, 12:15:28 pm
Indeed, a bad pun.  But a clever one.

I'm glad the footer says "not the end," because there are lots of loose ends flying around. 

Guy's wavering convictions being the most ovbious loose end in play.  I may be over-thinking this, but Guy did seem a little rattled after his second meeting with King Reggie.  He was certainly rattled after Fia planted that whopper kiss on him.  Guy has always pictured himself as a type of hero, fighting for the benefit of the commoners.  If he returns to Ceres, he can be that hero for the commoners of Ceres.  Granted, in terms of wealth, the commoners of Ceres may not need a "Robin Hood," but they will appreciate someone who can keep the UWRS at bay.  Since Guy knows how the URWS operates, he could be very effective at keeping them contained.  On Ceres, he could make a difference, and people would acknowledge his actions.  Having a chance to perhaps get into Fia's jumpsuit would be the coup de grace.   On Terra, he's just a jumped-up clerk that few (if any) give a toss about.

That stuff didn't need to be said, because it's pretty obvious, but I wanted to say it anyway.  :)

The next big loose end is who tried to kill him in the transit tube?  Guy is a pretty stoic kind of... uh, guy, but I can't see him letting that one slide.  And for that matter, neither will most of the other people in the strip.  A saboteur brings some pretty nasty implications on several levels.  Question is, can Ceres' legal system handle such a person?  And if so, how?

Anyway, this is clearly the end of an arc, but I hope it's not the end of the story.  I've been enjoying this story a lot; I hope there will eventually be more.
You don't think the UWRS hasn't been monitoring them the whole time?

Scott on January 30, 2009, 01:43:18 pm
Firstly, this is most definitely NOT the end of the series.

ESCAPE FROM TERRA is written in longish story-arcs. The current one ("World Ceres") will have its denouement next week, then we transition into the next one, titled -- well I don't want to spoil things just yet. But be prepared for some shocks.

And when that story arc ends, we have another, and then another, and then another ... Sandy has come up with enough material for about 4 years' worth of strips so far, and there doesn't seem to be any bottom to that well. He's turning out story treatments about five times faster than I can turn them into scripts and Lee can draw them.

Rocketman on January 30, 2009, 02:25:04 pm
Firstly, this is most definitely NOT the end of the series.

ESCAPE FROM TERRA is written in longish story-arcs. The current one ("World Ceres") will have its denouement next week, then we transition into the next one, titled -- well I don't want to spoil things just yet. But be prepared for some shocks.

And when that story arc ends, we have another, and then another, and then another ... Sandy has come up with enough material for about 4 years' worth of strips so far, and there doesn't seem to be any bottom to that well. He's turning out story treatments about five times faster than I can turn them into scripts and Lee can draw them.

Scott: does that mean then that BHP is considering having more than just two stories running at a time?  That there will be additional opportunities for other people to submit stories to BHP?  As a total aside, everytime I see "BHP" my mind always thinks "Browning Hi Power"

cyberbard on January 30, 2009, 03:22:55 pm

Perhaps they have, perhaps not.  But no, I don't think they have been.  I wasn't giving the UWRS that much credit, to be honest.  If they had the resources, or the will, to monitor their people as closely as you imply, then they would have used a different tactic to reel in Ceres.  Something involving all sorts of subtle legal and economic pressure before sending even a single agent.  They don't appear to have given Ceres much notice until very recently.  They've probably tapped out other financial wells and are prospecting for more.  That's just my own impression; I may be dead wrong.

I'm sure the UWRS has an ulterior motive, though.  They may have needed an excuse to let some people go, and given that Guy wasn't the most popular person in the office, his name was the first on the chopping block.  So, it's possible that they sent Guy on this mission expecting him to fail, and thus giving them an excuse to cut him.  The fact that Fia, the 36-24-36 office distraction, is also out of the picture, might be seen as an unexpected bonus.  Or a darn shame, depending on who you ask.  That's one theory, but not the best one.

I think it's more likely that the UWRS expected Guy and Fia to fail, but they will use that failure as an excuse to ramp up their attempts to reel in Ceres: "See?  They really are renegades!  Using a barter system instead of established currency?!?  Profit sharing?!?  Home schooling?!?  Personal weapons?!?  We need to bring in every political tool the UW can muster to control these savages before they start to spread!" 

I think Guy and Fia were pawns in a greater plan; the first pieces moved in an eco-political game a chess.  The UW always wanted to turn Ceres into a money mill, but they needed an excuse to start the process.  So, they sent a pair of patsy accountants to their professional doom.

But that plan might have backfired, and let's hope it did.  Fia has already gone native.  If anything, that will give the UWRS more reason to get aggressive, but they may have to be more careful in how they move, because Fia is going to talk.  Being lower on the ranks than Guy, she won't know as much about the system as he, but she will freely share what she knows.

They didn't expect Guy to turn.  In fact they probably counted on his rigid sense of duty to keep him in line.  Which it has, but he has been tempted.  If it turns out that Guy has been used as a patsy, he'll probably figure that out pretty quick.  He's many things but he's not stupid.  If that happens, then I could easily see him donning that Chancellor of the Exchequer robe.  And that would be a misstep on the part of the UWRS.  Guy has been with them for a while, and knows a lot about how they operate and what their methods are.  He could make things difficult for UWRS.  (For that reason they may lock him up or try to kill him if he tries to leave Terra!)

Again, just my impressions.  YMMV.

SandySandfort on January 30, 2009, 05:41:26 pm

Perhaps they have, perhaps not.  But no, I don't think they have been.  I wasn't giving the UWRS that much credit, to be honest. 

I'm sure you have heard that Bamford says the NSA had intercepts on the 9-11 guys, but failed to pass any info to CIA or FBI. Governments--in addition to being inherently anti-freedom--are always weak sisters (or complete incompetents) in just about everything they try to do. The UW is the same, but larger, therefore more so.

If they had the resources, or the will, to monitor their people as closely as you imply, then they would have used a different tactic to reel in Ceres.  Something involving all sorts of subtle legal and economic pressure before sending even a single agent.  They don't appear to have given Ceres much notice until very recently.  They've probably tapped out other financial wells and are prospecting for more.  That's just my own impression; I may be dead wrong.

No, good analysis (which is not to say you are correct... or wrong).  ;)

I'm sure the UWRS has an ulterior motive, though.  They may have needed an excuse to let some people go, and given that Guy wasn't the most popular person in the office, his name was the first on the chopping block.  So, it's possible that they sent Guy on this mission expecting him to fail, and thus giving them an excuse to cut him.  The fact that Fia, the 36-24-36 office distraction, is also out of the picture, might be seen as an unexpected bonus.  Or a darn shame, depending on who you ask.  That's one theory, but not the best one.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. There are no evil Machiavellian genius in the UW. Just pluggers worried about their pensions.

I think it's more likely that the UWRS expected Guy and Fia to fail, but they will use that failure as an excuse to ramp up their attempts to reel in Ceres: "See?  They really are renegades!  Using a barter system instead of established currency?!?  Profit sharing?!?  Home schooling?!?  Personal weapons?!?  We need to bring in every political tool the UW can muster to control these savages before they start to spread!" 

I think Guy and Fia were pawns in a greater plan; the first pieces moved in an eco-political game a chess.  The UW always wanted to turn Ceres into a money mill, but they needed an excuse to start the process.  So, they sent a pair of patsy accountants to their professional doom.

I appreciate your Byzantine plot ideas, but I'm just simple guy from Missouri. I don't think folks in government are nearly that clever. Mostly it's a matter of thinking you see some wealth and then trying to grab it without much subtlety.

IBut that plan might have backfired, and let's hope it did.  Fia has already gone native.  If anything, that will give the UWRS more reason to get aggressive, but they may have to be more careful in how they move, because Fia is going to talk.  Being lower on the ranks than Guy, she won't know as much about the system as he, but she will freely share what she knows.

They didn't expect Guy to turn.  In fact they probably counted on his rigid sense of duty to keep him in line.  Which it has, but he has been tempted.  If it turns out that Guy has been used as a patsy, he'll probably figure that out pretty quick.  He's many things but he's not stupid.  If that happens, then I could easily see him donning that Chancellor of the Exchequer robe.  And that would be a misstep on the part of the UWRS.  Guy has been with them for a while, and knows a lot about how they operate and what their methods are.  He could make things difficult for UWRS.  (For that reason they may lock him up or try to kill him if he tries to leave Terra!)

I guess we will just have to wait and see...  ;D

Rocketman on January 30, 2009, 07:59:12 pm
Guy seems like to me anyway to be the kind of guy that's motivated more by ideology (or at least he used to be that way) than he does by moving up the ladder and doesn't seem the type to play "office politics".  He was probably chosen for this assignment because it was considered to be an extremely difficult assignment and he was expected to fail.  If he failed then without a higher up ally to cover for him his career would have effectively been over and they're would not have been any retaliation to anyone who gave him the assignment in the first place.  That's why he was picked.  Fia is a different story.  She is probably compentent but with that face and body pretty much every other woman hates her for her looks.  The female supervisor who assigned her to assist Guy knew that an opportunity presented itself to get rid of her and she took it.
     Oh, and if I were in Guy's position, I would definitely leave out the part where I was offered the Chancellor of the Exchequer position in my report to the UW.   The UW would automatically assume that I had switched sides which would either get me a nice permanent apartment about 8' x 10' at the graybar hotel or a bullet in the back of the head.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:09:55 pm by Rocketman »

FenrisWolf on January 31, 2009, 08:24:43 pm
Well, it took the 'World Ceres' to get me to register and post, but I'm rather glad I did.  Otherwise I wouldn't have learned just how much more there was going to be to this story.  Of course the potential of any government to become corrupt is in inverse proportion to the the checks on the powers it has raken upon itself.  Here we have a World/Interplanetary government with no checks on its bureaucracy, attempting to stretch its grasp outward to what is apparently the last bastion of individualism in the Solar System.  Unfortunately for the Powers That Be, they see themselves as seated high on a golden throne of moral rectitude, stretching their hands out over the huddled masses, when in fact the are teetering precariously on a wobbly stepladder that iiself is perched atop an even flimsier House of Cards, and all it needs is one good push (or half a dozen kinetic strikes) to bring the whole mess crashing down around their ears.

Very few people can wrap their minds around just how vast an area is encompassed by the asteroid belt.  If as it seems the Ceresians (Cerites? Free Humans?) are self-sufficient and have been preparing for this confrontation for a while, the bureaucrats are going to be in for a very nasty surprise.  One's ability to wage war is determined by the security of one's supply lines; I suspect Ceres is going to end up Moscow to the UW's Napoleon....

SandySandfort on January 31, 2009, 09:23:05 pm
Well, it took the 'World Ceres' to get me to register and post, but I'm rather glad I did.  Otherwise I wouldn't have learned just how much more there was going to be to this story. 

And we won't just be repackaging and reselling the same old soap. The universe where Ceres exists, has all the depth and breadth of our world. There is romance and betrayal, saints and sinners, adventure, humor, wonders and the ordinary. Please stay tuned.

Of course the potential of any government to become corrupt is in inverse proportion to the the checks on the powers it has raken upon itself.  Here we have a World/Interplanetary government with no checks on its bureaucracy, attempting to stretch its grasp outward to what is apparently the last bastion of individualism in the Solar System.  Unfortunately for the Powers That Be, they see themselves as seated high on a golden throne of moral rectitude, stretching their hands out over the huddled masses, when in fact the are teetering precariously on a wobbly stepladder that iiself is perched atop an even flimsier House of Cards, and all it needs is one good push (or half a dozen kinetic strikes) to bring the whole mess crashing down around their ears.

Well, yeah.  ;D

Very few people can wrap their minds around just how vast an area is encompassed by the asteroid belt.  If as it seems the Ceresians (Cerites? Free Humans?) are self-sufficient and have been preparing for this confrontation for a while, the bureaucrats are going to be in for a very nasty surprise.  One's ability to wage war is determined by the security of one's supply lines; I suspect Ceres is going to end up Moscow to the UW's Napoleon....

Shhh! I gotta make a living here, fella. (Cerereans is the most grammatically correct term and the one the Cerereans use, when they aren't calling themselves Ferddies. Mother-Lovers and other slang names.)

Leviathan on February 01, 2009, 01:14:07 am
One of the saddest dynamics in society I've ever come across...  The more free a society is, the less real poverty there is, and the less anybody really looks at the "top dogs" and says "It's unfair that they have that much while I have so much less!"  The less free a society is, the more poverty, and the more there are people who support measures which don't really impact the "top dogs", but instead increases the amount of poverty they are in.  In other words, the more dominated a society is, the more it supports that domination overall.  The less dominated, the less people really demand the domination.  Because they always believe that the domination is impacting everybody but them, when they demand it.  And have less reason to be in favor of domination if they're not dominated because their lives are good.  Hong Kong, almost nobody there really wants more economic controls.  New Zealand, there were borderline if not actual riots when government subsidies for many things disappeared.  Yet now that they're gone and farmers are making more money and more crops, the farmers are actually usually horrified (or mystified, "you're suggesting what?") at the mere idea of their return.  In the US, when regulations turn the entire mess to rancid shit the first demand is more regulations.  Russia, when the Czar held absolute sway and was maintaining what amounted to feudalism long after any of the mechanics that let feudalism continue?  Their answer was to institute communism, a system whereby there was theoretically no private ownership of anything.

Anyway, I suspect some of my earlier comments in these threads really were giving the (uncomfortably less than) fictional government in EfT too much credit.  They are highly unlikely to give up just because Guy says Ceres is a plum not worth the picking.  But, you know, ultimately the reason they'd send Guy?  They were covering their ass.  He was too officious an employee to take advantage of free fare to Ceres to just start a new life there.  Relatively low-ranking.  If he had succeeded, his boss (and her boss, and that boss's boss) would be ready to take credit for getting the job done.  That he has failed, he's become all too ready a target for blame.  Ironically, he could use Fiorella as a blame target to pass the buck further down the line.  Say that she abandoned her position and that's why he failed, or worse turned traitor and helped them craft the little deal they're intent on.  But he seems too honest to actually do so.  So if he basically quits and joins up with the Cerereans, they'll send others to go over the Ceres books.  Probably equally lowly functionaries and accountants.  And maybe by then Guy'll realize just what "ajudication" services are, and how little a jukebox church resembles the catholic church most think of when they're pondering religious authority  :D  Admittedly I wouldn't be too keen on becoming a member of the congregation.  Kareoke usually sets my teeth, spine, and most other body parts on edge  :P  But if the guns come out...  Let's just say, troops trained in Terran gravity would be almost useless upon landing on Ceres.  Even if they're using lasers or something, the apparent difference in weight of weapon would throw aim off.

As for self-sufficiency, with nanotech, carbon, and water, they are quite probably capable of making do just trading among the belts and with Mars.  But Terra is a piece of their income, and I'm sure holds some level of special place in their hearts on top of it.  There's a great line from this movie I saw about the US internment camps for Japanese.  When the americans asked the guy whether he was hoping Japan won or the US won, his response was "If your mother and father are having a fight, do you hope your mother kills your father, or father your mother?  Or do you wish they would just stop fighting?"  Terra's the little mudball with cosmic-scale fungus all over it everybody came from.  Just because it's gone fucknut insane with totalitarian government doesn't mean you'd like to turn it into a dust-enveloped slag pile.  Even if you might be tempted to lob a few rocks straight at the odious bastards who think they own you. 

Oh, that kinda reminds me.  The Burner ship?  What G acceleration/deceleration where they travelling at?  At 1G constant thrust, ten days sounds like UWRS sent them out there when the place was on or near the other side of the sun.  If my numbers are correct, 1g constant acceleration and deceleration, they should've travelled 1,791,590,400 kilometers, give or take.  The closest thing to a diameter of Ceres' orbit is 829,257,746km...  Yeah.  They got a sudden yearning for Belter proceeds at the absolute worst time of year to take a ride out there.  Even assuming the owner of the ship they flew on is a bit more efficiency conscious and only did, say, 0.5-0.8G, and accounting for the fact that you can't exactly fly in a straight line anywhere nearby things like the sun, they almost couldn't have been in any other alignment.  Either this is a straight-up jab at the idiotic inefficiency of government that's really subtly embedded (congrats if so, I love stories that there's subtle nuances that hit you over time), or somebody with gov connections and incentive decided to pull a string in order to get a noose around the Belt's neck.  Consolidate them by the next time shipping to Terra was easy to manage.

One, uhh, last question for now?  Are Bert and Ernie really Babbette Guzman the elder's sons?  Or are they, hmm, either her co-husbands or co-husbands of her daughter?  As hard as it might be to tell in black and white inking, the family resemblance between BG the elder and the "son" who it's implied wasn't adopted doesn't seem all that close  ;D  Resemblance at the third apparent generation would appear to be the "adopted son's".  Babbette the elder doesn't seem to have a husband helping to run the place, entirely possible for him to have moved on in terms of relationships or corporeality.  But no mother between the two Babbettes has been introduced to be the parent of the precocious little urchin  ;)  Now, if it's a daughter (living or deceased) who married two men at once, they'd both be "sons in law" and "brothers in law".  And now that my brain's thinking in terms of Heinleinian references, is "water brothers" a "stranger in a strange land" reference?

SandySandfort on February 01, 2009, 09:51:06 pm
Anyway, I suspect some of my earlier comments in these threads really were giving the (uncomfortably less than) fictional government in EfT too much credit...

I think so too.  ;) 

Admittedly I wouldn't be too keen on becoming a member of the congregation.  Kareoke usually sets my teeth, spine, and most other body parts on edge  :P 

Well there's the sermon and the music. Some come for one, some come for the other and some sit through the whole thing.

Oh, that kinda reminds me.  The Burner ship?  What G acceleration/deceleration where they travelling at? 

Given enough power and reaction mass, a burner can fly at multiple gs, if necessary. Civilian boats, such as the one that Guy & Fiorella flew on to Ceres, usually burn at around .38g. That's the same as Mars and Mercury gravity, which most humans prefer. Burners don't necessarily fly Hohmann transfer orbits. They take advantage of chaotic transfer orbits and gravity assists. So YMMV.

Either this is a straight-up jab at the idiotic inefficiency of government that's really subtly embedded (congrats if so, I love stories that there's subtle nuances that hit you over time), or somebody with gov connections and incentive decided to pull a string in order to get a noose around the Belt's neck.  Consolidate them by the next time shipping to Terra was easy to manage.

C. None of the above. The UW uses commercial carriers for non-military movement of personnel. As of this stage in the strip, there are no passenger liners except those owned by Terran carriers doing the Lunar run and those owned by Martian spaceliner companies.

One, uhh, last question for now?  Are Bert and Ernie really Babbette Guzman the elder's sons?

Yup, with the proviso that Bert (Robert) was informally adopted (and has a very strange origin). Ernie (Ernesto) is Babbette's birth mother. As is often the case with genetics, Ernie takes after his mestizo grandparents than his mother. 

Babbette the elder doesn't seem to have a husband helping to run the place...

Died when the boys were in their teens. We will reference some of this later. (BTW, though kids like to play with their ages by quoting them in Mars years. Most folks use Terra years when discussing age. (For one thing you get about twice as many birthdays that way.)  ;D

And now that my brain's thinking in terms of Heinleinian references, is "water brothers" a "stranger in a strange land" reference?

Give that man a cigar! There are numerous "Easter Eggs" throughout EFT. A lot refer to Heinlein, but there are references to other authors and their work, SF movies, etc. Some of the characters are modeled after real people. I wrote some, Scott wrote some and Lee has used his imagination on others. Why do we do this? For the same reason a dog... oh you know.

Leviathan on February 02, 2009, 03:28:51 am
With apologies, sandy, I'm stripping your color tags out...  They're impossible to read on the light background of quote tags.
Well there's the sermon and the music. Some come for one, some come for the other and some sit through the whole thing.

Not big on sermons.  Music is great, but the fact that actual kareoke has caught on in Japan mystifies me.  Most people, myself included, really aren't all that fantastic at carrying a tune.  I just have freakish ears that can't ignore the deficit...  Makes it comparatively easy for me to learn foreign languages including the tonal asiatic family, but listening to most people trying to sing along is like nails on a chalkboard...  Might attend if I got to be friends with the good pastor, and at least check it out for the novelty factor.

C. None of the above. The UW uses commercial carriers for non-military movement of personnel. As of this stage in the strip, there are no passenger liners except those owned by Terran carriers doing the Lunar run and those owned by Martian spaceliner companies.

I think you got me wrong.  Not consolidating the passenger ships.  Consolidating mineral or other resources that the belt imports are competition for.  Even at the lower continuous thrust, that still puts Terra pretty much on opposite sides of the sun from Ceres.  Either the UWRS is being random and doesn't give a shit that it's picking the worst time of year to send someone out there, or the timing was incited by some lobbyist or something who wants to get rid of the competition before its at its most competetive again.  Or an actual C, heh, and it's some other psychotic factor like somebody who just hates belters got a promotion.  But it amounts to either they had no reason at all to send a ship across at or near opposition, or they had a reason and I'm curious what that reason might be if it exists  :D

Yup, with the proviso that Bert (Robert) was informally adopted (and has a very strange origin). Ernie (Ernesto) is Babbette's birth mother. As is often the case with genetics, Ernie takes after his mestizo grandparents than his mother. 

Ernie is Babbette's birth mother?  Either you're really tired writing this line, or that is some damned effective elective surgery.  So, uhm, regardless of Ernesto's gendering at time of conception, where's Babbette the younger's other parent?

Died when the boys were in their teens. We will reference some of this later. (BTW, though kids like to play with their ages by quoting them in Mars years. Most folks use Terra years when discussing age. (For one thing you get about twice as many birthdays that way.)  ;D

Sounds like me with Christmas and Channukah  ;)  Could cut it both ways and have your cake and eat it too.  "It's my Martian birthday!  Now my Terran birthday!  Now it's my Cererean birthday!  Jovian!  Venusian!  Mercurian!"

cyberbard on February 02, 2009, 08:30:35 am
I appreciate your Byzantine plot ideas, but I'm just simple guy from Missouri. I don't think folks in government are nearly that clever. Mostly it's a matter of thinking you see some wealth and then trying to grab it without much subtlety.

Byzantine?  Ach, you cut me to the quick, sir.   ;D

But seriously, I write science fiction stories as well, and a some of my stuff deals with over-powerful corporations and/or twisted government departments, that pull all kinds of crazy stunts with multiple layers of deceit and intrigue.  That being said, with reference to my twisted plot lines... sorry.  Force of habit.

8)

And as for today's episode... I can't believe Guy actually submitted to $80B request.  He knows this will trash his career!  Unless during the trip back he decided to go back to Ceres and take King Reggie's job offer, in which case he doesn't care how his superiors react.

Oops.  Sorry.  I did it again.   :D

SandySandfort on February 02, 2009, 09:08:50 am
With apologies, sandy, I'm stripping your color tags out...  They're impossible to read on the light background of quote tags.

Let's try this for a change.

I think you got me wrong.  Not consolidating the passenger ships.  Consolidating mineral or other resources that the belt imports are competition for.  Even at the lower continuous thrust, that still puts Terra pretty much on opposite sides of the sun from Ceres.  Either the UWRS is being random and doesn't give a shit that it's picking the worst time of year to send someone out there, or the timing was incited by some lobbyist or something who wants to get rid of the competition before its at its most competetive again.  Or an actual C, heh, and it's some other psychotic factor like somebody who just hates belters got a promotion.  But it amounts to either they had no reason at all to send a ship across at or near opposition, or they had a reason and I'm curious what that reason might be if it exists  :D

Sailing ships, airlines and spacelines all have to publish and keep schedules. Guy and Fiorella flew on a commercial vessel. As it happened, the trip took longer than it would have if the relative positions of Terra and Ceres had been closer. Also, there is the possibility that I did the math wrong.  ;D

... where's Babbette the younger's other parent?

She's around. We will meet her briefly in a future arc.

Sounds like me with Christmas and Channukah  ;)  Could cut it both ways and have your cake and eat it too.  "It's my Martian birthday!  Now my Terran birthday!  Now it's my Cererean birthday!  Jovian!  Venusian!  Mercurian!"

Hanukkah and Chinese New Year are celebrated using a lunar calendar irrespective of what the Gregorian calendar dates are. Off Terra, birthdays and holidays are celebrate based on the Terran Calendar irrespective of what the Martian date is for tradition's sake.

Okay, now for a vision test. I wish to eschew black, so tell me which of the other colors works best for you.

RED
YELLOW
PINK
GREEN
ORANGE
PURPLE
BLUE
BEIGE
BROWN
TEAL
NAVY
MAROON