John DeWitt on January 02, 2009, 08:41:28 am
You stole that!   :D

Was it a Heinlein short story?  My memory and - yup, a quick Google search says it was Heinlein.

"Gentlemen, Be Seated."

SandySandfort on January 02, 2009, 10:47:49 am
You stole that!   :D

Was it a Heinlein short story?  My memory and - yup, a quick Google search says it was Heinlein.

"Gentlemen, Be Seated."
Okay, all fingers point at Scott. This was his contribution.  ;)
I'm sure, though, that in the history of the world there have been, and will continue to be, many asses in many cracks. (Later, we will get to the cool stuff I stole from Heinlein and others.)

Rocketman on January 02, 2009, 12:18:10 pm
So much has been published by so many people over the years that it's difficult NOT to "plagiarize" something that has already been done.  If you look at the premise of Stargate SG-1, a big ring can transport people and objects to other worlds that came from Heinlein's "Tunnel in the sky".  The first "Superman" who could leap long distances, carry tons of weight and so on was preceded by Phillip Wylie's novel "Gladiator".

Scott on January 02, 2009, 06:40:20 pm
This was not plagiarism, it was homage.

Rocketman on January 02, 2009, 09:23:54 pm
You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-ma-toe, you say po-tay-toe, I say po-ta-toe. Let's call the whole thing off. ;D  No seriously I don't have a problem with any of it.  The only thing that I don't get was a while back when I was watching television some time back someone complained that an well known author was plagiarizing his earlier work.  How the hell do you go about plagiarizing your own work?  ???

John DeWitt on January 05, 2009, 07:36:03 am
How the hell do you go about plagiarizing your own work?

You got me.  Toward the end there Heinlein "plagiarized" his own work extensively, and nobody heard me complain.

Actually it wasn't a complaint - just a gotcha.

Loving the story to date.

Frank B. on January 05, 2009, 02:22:40 pm
How the hell do you go about plagiarizing your own work?
You got me.  Toward the end there Heinlein "plagiarized" his own work extensively, and nobody heard me complain. Actually it wasn't a complaint - just a gotcha.  Loving the story to date.

Heinlein may have been first to use it in a space ship, but the idea of plugging a hole in a ship with someone's posterior has been around a while.  I remember seeing one of the first HBO miniseries about a story of a woman in 19th century Australia who became the first female riverboat captain there.  The all male review board for her license kept asking her questions in hopes of failing her.  They finally presented a scenario where the hull is breached.  She winds up going through a laundry list of materials typically found on board she could use for plugging the hole, because they kept modifying the situation and asking what she would do if she didn't have available whatever she suggested.  When she runs out of supplies, she says, "Well, in that case, I'd line up the crew and pick the man with the largest backside and shove him in the hole".  They granted her the license.

Cernunnos81 on February 21, 2010, 06:54:19 am
Being a fan of Heinlein for the last 21 of my 36 years, I have to say it was homage... And beautifully done. I can't wait to see other bits of Robert's work paid homage. So many have ignored, or warped his work that I was happy to see something beautifully done. And by warped I mean those worthless sods that destroyed Starship Troopers... Robert rolled over in his grave and Virginia cursed them roundly I pray.

SandySandfort on February 21, 2010, 08:03:15 am
...I can't wait to see other bits of Robert's work paid homage.

His spirit is in everything I write. Sometimes as world-view, sometimes as Easter eggs. 

So many have ignored, or warped his work that I was happy to see something beautifully done. And by warped I mean those worthless sods that destroyed Starship Troopers... Robert rolled over in his grave and Virginia cursed them roundly I pray.[/b][/color]

Like many others, I corresponded with Ginny Heinlein. She wasn't happy about Starship Troopers and other abominations, but she was happy with the money it brought in. Sometimes, you just have to let the baby go.

Speaking of the Starship Troopers movie, clearly Verhoeven and Neumeier (the screenwriter) should have been taken out and shot (metaphorically, of course). However, kudos to the creators of the animated series, "Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles." got it right. Check it out.

wdg3rd on February 21, 2010, 10:55:05 pm

His spirit is in everything I write. Sometimes as world-view, sometimes as Easter eggs.

His spirit is in just about anything I do, say or think.  He was one of my three adoptive fathers (adopted by me -- none of them were told about it --  the other two were Julius Marx and Richard B. Fuller).  Yeah, I'm the genetic child of Ward D. Griffiths Jr -- so the fuck what?, memes mean more than genes unless you're a Kennedy or a member of another royal family.

So many have ignored, or warped his work that I was happy to see something beautifully done. And by warped I mean those worthless sods that destroyed Starship Troopers... Robert rolled over in his grave and Virginia cursed them roundly I pray.[/b][/color]

Not near as bad as was done to The Puppet Masters.  Donald Sutherland did fine with the material he was given, but it could have been great if the script was a little bit closer to the novel (even as raped by Herb Gold).  A global threat reduced to an invasion of an insignificant midwestern town, Mary turned into a wimpette tree-hugger, the central character turned into nothing worth watching.

If Stranger in a Strange Land  ever gets filmed it'll be even worse.  I think Bowie has gotten too long in the tooth for the lead role, but that was the rumor back in the 70s (and it turned out he was in Tevis's tepid The Man Who Fell to Earth -- neither the book nor the movie totally sucked, but they worked hard at it -- it's rare when the movie isn't much worse than the novel).

Like many others, I corresponded with Ginny Heinlein. She wasn't happy about Starship Troopers and other abominations, but she was happy with the money it brought in. Sometimes, you just have to let the baby go.

Speaking of the Starship Troopers movie, clearly Verhoeven and Neumeier (the screenwriter) should have been taken out and shot (metaphorically, of course). However, kudos to the creators of the animated series, "Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles." got it right. Check it out.

The cartoons were definitely better than the movie.  I've heard that the two (direct-to-video) sequels to the movie weren't as bad, so someday I might watch them, if I don't have something more important to do, like the dishes or laundry.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

SandySandfort on February 22, 2010, 07:59:37 am
His spirit is in just about anything I do, say or think.  He was one of my three adoptive fathers...

I have always referred to Heinlein as my second father. They even had a passing resemblance--physically and mentally.

If Stranger in a Strange Land  ever gets filmed it'll be even worse.  I think Bowie has gotten too long in the tooth for the lead role, but that was the rumor back in the 70s (and it turned out he was in Tevis's tepid The Man Who Fell to Earth

I am of the understanding that Tom Hanks owned or still owns the movie rights to STRANGER. In his younger years, I think he would have been great in the role as Smith. I think Tom gets it and would make a reasonably good movie, if he chose to do so. I have no idea whom he should cast as Smith, though, if he ever makes it. Whom would you cast in that role?

dough560 on February 27, 2010, 02:54:46 am
Who to cast as Smith.  The same problem with most of the superhero movies.  Someone unknown.  Who understands the character.  "Known" actors would bring too much baggage.  Too many preconceptions from previous work.

Then you just have the problem of some TransProg trying to fit Stranger.... into their world view. 

KBCraig on March 02, 2010, 09:21:48 am
I agree with dough560: known names would "act" like Smith, but it's important that the actor be Smith.

I think every other role could be cast with the Hollywood staples, but Smith has to be "and introducing as..."

Bill_L on April 28, 2010, 10:38:44 am
I thought the "be seated" solution was going to come up when they were two patches short.  ;D

I also noted the "Isher Weapon Shop."

sams on April 28, 2010, 11:01:08 am

I love Robert Heillen Starship Troopers ... but I would prevent you for literally execute Verhoeven and Neumeier (the screenwriter) since I discovered the book by watching first the movie  ;)

Also the CGI serie is also great, but I love how the first and the second (The third one, since the official second is garbage) movie make a satire of warmongering, and make it watched despite the ''shoot them all'' them of the movie, contrarily to the more profound side of the book and much more enjoyable GCI grafical universe.

About the plagiarism stuff, there is something called the perfection of ideas, in which previous concepts are brewed and refined by diverse people or we could denounce EFT to the patent office and have them pay royalties to the first dude who came with the concept of space travel  ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:20:27 am by sams »