Leviathan on November 27, 2008, 01:32:17 am
Coolness.  I don't suppose L. Niel gives out ebooks to people who are poor and just want to be able to read his original work?  The only ebooks of his I've been able to find from *cough* other sources are his star wars calrisian trilogy and a copy of forge of the elders.

Rocketman on November 27, 2008, 04:33:17 am
Leviathan:  If you start prowling used book store you can usually find copies.  I have every one of LNS books including the near impossible "Their Majestic's Bucketeers".  I did take awhile though.

wdg3rd on November 27, 2008, 10:01:14 am
Leviathan:  If you start prowling used book store you can usually find copies.  I have every one of LNS books including the near impossible "Their Majests'''s Bucketeers".  I did take awhile though.

Actually, the really hard one to find is The Wardove.  But I have to admit I haven't been looking for Their Majestys' Bucketeers since I found my copy a long time ago.  Wound up getting The Wardove through ABEbooks.com along with a few other things long lost like Dave Berg's My Friend God (as Franklin said, three removes) and Billi Gordon's You've Had Worse Things in Your Mouth, a fun cookbook for the deranged, the jaded, the pissed-off or the tired.  (Had to replace my original copy of that last, loaned it to a friend (Sheila looked good in Spandex and better out of it, but that's another show) and then she died of a self-inflicted prescription morphine overdose before returning it [cancer sux, but gimme my books back first]).
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Leviathan on November 27, 2008, 11:51:20 am
Je suis pauvre!  I pay for internet and phone because it's how I earn any money, off placing these little craigslist ads that let people know I fix computers.  But I can barely afford food at this point.  I'd just like to be able to read books that seem worthwhile.

Rocketman on November 27, 2008, 04:39:05 pm
Have you thought about going to the local library and ask them to do a library to library loan of L. Neil's books?  At least that way you could read them.

Monkt on November 27, 2008, 07:27:09 pm
If I'm correct, Ceres is in the Pallas series and isn't out yet?

Leviathan on November 27, 2008, 07:58:57 pm
I figure LNS is gonna get the same payment from either that, or sending me some .pdf files (and as much as I'm an incurable pirate I can swear upon my honor not to distribute them, despite my contention that spreading pdf files around is free advertisement for the hard copies that will net him royalties), it's gonna be the same deal either way.  Oh, and I checked their collection in the local library system.  Pallas, Forge of the Elders, Henry Martyn, and Crystal Empire.  That's the four they have according to their computers, but when I tried to snag them the librarians were only able to even locate three.  Last time I tried inter-library loans for greater distances, they had over a month's delay.  I know some authors will actually give hard copies away to fans who can't afford the books, and that LNS at least used to have a whole bunch up as pay ebooks.  Hence asking if he might be willing to do a free collection to somebody who can't even afford those, assuming they're still up somewhere.  But I realize he might not be reading the forum, so I'll go ahead and plead my case to his email, heh.

Monkt on November 27, 2008, 08:07:54 pm
My local library has Roswell, The American Zone, Forge Of The Elders, Bretta Martyn (but not Henry), Pallas, and The Probability Broach.