Lun-Sei on November 28, 2008, 04:10:20 am

I have joined this forum for the simple purpose of praising the authors of "Odysseus the rebel". I had to read the Odyssey in its original language when I was in high school. That story was a great part of my education. I wasn't expecting someone to be able of making a compelling comic out of it.
This webcomic is well-organized, as it does tell the Odyssey but in a whole different way, by already giving for assumed the scenes that are widely known (such as the scene with the cyclops), and by providing different and compelling insights (taking the concept of Cyrce's turning men into pigs as a metaphor: strangely enough, I have never tought of it that way before!). I have no words to express how charmed I am by being able to see a satisfying comic adaption from that classic masterpiece.

(I apologize for any discrepancy in my grammar, since english isn't my language.)

If it may be of any interest, I offer to write down the italian translation of this webcomic. I am sure in Italy there would be a wide public who would want to read this story, because the Odyssey is part of our culture as it used to have a huge role into our education system until a few years ago.

Rocketman on December 09, 2008, 09:55:56 pm
Welcome to the forum Lun-Sei.  That's a nice gesture on your part translating the comic to Italian.  Well Steven, Scott or Frank do you have any thoughts on having the story of Odysseus translated to Italian for an overseas edition?

Scott on December 11, 2008, 04:16:59 pm
Hmmmm... I'll need to review the contracts with regard to publishing (either on the Internet or in print) an Italian translation. IIRC Big Head Press has a world-wide exclusive license to publish in any form, but perhaps we could work out some kind of deal. The work can be re-licensed, but we'd need some kind of formal agreement or contract WRT what happens with rights and any moneys collected from the published translation.

I also find it interesting that Italians would be so interested in the story. I'd thought that Odysseus was considered a "bad guy" by the original Romans, who considered themselves (and possibly were) descendants of the Trojans. But times change, I suppose.

Lun-Sei on December 12, 2008, 10:39:34 am

I also find it interesting that Italians would be so interested in the story. I'd thought that Odysseus was considered a "bad guy" by the original Romans, who considered themselves (and possibly were) descendants of the Trojans. But times change, I suppose.

Why? Odysseus is depicted in this comic just in the same way our tradition described him. Cunning, sly, valuing intelligence over anything else, even over the respect due to powers superior, like the gods. That's Odysseus just like I was told about him by my teachers... the only difference is that, I recall, I was told that Odysseus was small and kinda ugly. In this comic, he sort of looks more handsome than Achilles!! (?)
And of course, this comic promotes Odysseus'ways as the positive behaviour, while our tradition usually considers the point of view of the other greek heroes, valuying strength, power and courage.
But overall, this comic is so faithful to the image of Odysseus I had.

Scott on December 13, 2008, 10:17:34 pm
Hmm. I hadn't considered that aspect of things. I do consider Odysseus' intelligence and rebelliousness as positive traits. I'm aware that such values are not as prized in Europe (or by most Americans for that matter) but didn't really make the connection until you spelled it out for me.

anything