Technomad on November 24, 2008, 11:53:46 am
I noticed that the Greek underworld looks a lot like NYC, and the ghosts are wearing 21st-century clothes.  Is this intended to say that to Odysseus, our modern world would be hell?

wdg3rd on November 24, 2008, 06:09:44 pm
I don't know about "our modern world", but the Five Boroughs certainly qualify as an adequate substitute.

Note:  I reside less than ten miles from where the WTC towers once stood, near the banks of the Passaic River.  I never understood the hooraw about their collapse.  I'm from Los Angeles and I expect skyscrapers to fall down any time it's convenient.

I don't like downstate New York.  I really don't like New Jersey, where I've been stuck for over a decade and a half.  La Esposa (who was born less than a mile from this house she grew up in) is gradually coming to accept that New Hampshire is a much nicer place.  In my opinion, Dante's Hell would be a much nicer place than Hudson County NJ, but I think my restaurant will do better in New Hampshire.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

KBCraig on November 25, 2008, 03:32:30 am
I noticed that the Greek underworld looks a lot like NYC, and the ghosts are wearing 21st-century clothes. 

I would have said 18th/19th century coats, but yeah... definitely anachronistic.

anything