Leviathan on December 23, 2008, 11:19:48 am
Hey now.  Speculating on how the story is going to turn out is more like trying to predict the stock market.  If us speculating types were gonna act like modern "liberals" we'd point a gun at Sandy, Scott, and Lee, and demand the story unfold like our speculations.  Unlike tyrants who demand control of people and events, I think people who speculate here are actually more pleased when our predictions are confounded.  If we were never surprised by the story, we wouldn't have to bother reading it unless we were just enthralled by the artwork.  It's well-drawn, but without the story?  Heh.  Keep surprising us, and beware of jumpable sharks!

Scott on December 23, 2008, 12:45:13 pm
When I first started in this webcomics business it used to irritate me when people made predictions about where the story would go -- why can't people just shaddap and wait for the next installment?

Then I realized that this sort of thing was part of the entertainment value of what we're doing. The guessing-game is a side-show that adds value to the main attraction.

So keep guessing, folks!

Oh, and don't forget to do the clicky thing on our voting buttons -- if we can get our rankings above 100 in each of the sites, it really helps to promote our comics. You can vote once each day on each of the two voting sites.

SandySandfort on December 23, 2008, 01:54:46 pm
... I think people who speculate here are actually more pleased when our predictions are confounded.  If we were never surprised by the story, we wouldn't have to bother reading it unless we were just enthralled by the artwork.  It's well-drawn, but without the story?  Heh.  Keep surprising us, and beware of jumpable sharks!
Excellent point. One of my all time favorite movies is Sixth Sense. Why? Because it so adroitly fooled me and some of the smartest people I know. I mean, WTF, we all saw Bruce Willis get killed in the first scene, yet we were surprised when we found out he was dead. Now that is great writing.

Rocketman on December 23, 2008, 07:40:06 pm
Seeing if you can figure out who the killer is is one of the reasons that the show "Law and Order" is so popular.  I don't always figure it out before it's revieled on the show but enough of the time that I think that I would make a pretty fair detective.  I have two all time movies that I love purely from a writing standpoint.  The first was made in the late 70's or early 80's I think and I haven't seen it available on television for many years.  "The Count of Monte Cristo" starring Richard Chamberlain.  The plot really grabbed me and his acting was absolutely perfect.  The second was a much more recent prison movie (which normally I don't like) called "The Shawshank Redemption."  Good actors can make a fair movie into a good one but if you get great acting and great writing it's memorable.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:44:10 pm by Rocketman »

anything