John DeWitt on October 20, 2008, 05:43:26 pm
I enjoy the treatment of the Odysseus character very much.  The art (of course, Scott!) is outstanding.

But this story's plot whipsaws all over the place!  On Friday I'm trying to figure out why Agamemnon stuck a sword in Ajax (Something I'm pretty sure doesn't show up in Homer) and then ... Ody's back on his ship and there's a mutiny brewing.  At what point in the story is this?  I don't know. 

This has happened a number of times.  He's arguing with Poseidon, and then on the next page he's schtupping Circe.  He's plotting against Circe, and then stabbing the Cyclops in the eye.  I never did figure out why Circe's illusion went away.  The only time the story got remotely linear was during the Telemachus interlude.

Maybe it's the one-page-every-other-day thing that's confusing me.  But please.  A little transitional exposition every now and then?  Please?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 05:46:14 pm by John DeWitt »

Scott on October 22, 2008, 04:51:38 pm
Well, this is an interesting request. Over on Escape From Terra, which I'm co-writing, I do put in transitional exposition and get criticized for making the story flow "too lumpy."

I think if you'll go back and read the story from the beginning, it will become clear that the initial encounter with Poseidon is a vision of the future being supplied by Circe. Odysseus is with her on her island at the beginning of the story. The illusions stopped because Odysseus pierced the multi-layered veils of Circe's deceptions at the same time he - ah - pierced Circe.

The story proceeds in mostly linear fashion except for the flashback to the siege at Troy which was a dream of Odysseus planted by Poseidon, who was trying to drive him mad with shame and guilt. Didn't work. After this the story jumps a bit in place but not in time.

Technomad on October 22, 2008, 06:23:17 pm

The story proceeds in mostly linear fashion except for the flashback to the siege at Troy which was a dream of Odysseus planted by Poseidon, who was trying to drive him mad with shame and guilt. Didn't work. After this the story jumps a bit in place but not in time.

Silly Poseidon.  He should know that you can't drive sociopaths mad with shame or guilt.  They just don't understand either thing....like trying to drive a deaf man mad by playing rap "music."

Rocketman on October 22, 2008, 07:31:15 pm

Silly Poseidon. He should know that you can't drive sociopaths mad with shame or guilt. They just don't understand either thing....like trying to drive a deaf man mad by playing rap "music."
     Uh, I don't know about that.  If it was anything other than "Rap" or as I call it "[C]rap" I'de agree with you but that's the one type of "music" that probably could accomplish it.   ;D

anything