Leviathan on October 25, 2008, 08:20:33 pm
*gasp* You're right, I did forget about him.  I'll be over here performing my act of contrition to the great L. Neil.

Scott on October 27, 2008, 03:49:43 pm
I'd like to point out that the "model" for our Reverend Reggie King is none other than Richard B. Boddie. Who some folks here might know of.

Leviathan on October 28, 2008, 12:36:54 am
*looks at the comic for 10-28* uh, heh.  heheh.  *snerk* *giggle* *snort* BWAHAHAHAHA!

I think she gets it, heh.

Oh, and I think I notice how they decided to "title" Reggie.  Reginald, literally according to etymology online, "ruling with power", hah!  I literally burst out laughing at that scene.  It's seldom that happens, heh.  Thank you Scott, and thank Lee for me.

edit: forgot Sandy in my thanks.  My apologies!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 04:56:43 am by Leviathan »

Rocketman on October 28, 2008, 02:13:27 pm
Richard Boddie, man that takes me back.  Whatever happened to Mr. Boddie anyway?

wdg3rd on October 28, 2008, 08:13:57 pm
Seems to still be kicking around.  Either he or a damned good faker posted on Marshall Fritz's guestbook back in April.
 http://www.marshallfritz.com/page/page/5763449.htm?startRow=121&#comments
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

SandySandfort on November 04, 2008, 11:03:10 am
I'm a little behind on my reading (but not my writing)  ;)
I really expected Cokens to be related to cocaine before I read the fourth panel.
Cocaine coins are called "blowkens." As others have pointed out, not much of that on Ceres. Here's a news flash, Cokens were real at one time. In the 1950s, Coke and Pepsi created brass tokens the same size and weight as a US nickel. They were sold in small stories in Mexico, Brazil and other Latin American countries. Why? Because it was easier to mint the tokens and then send standard vending machines to those countries than to adjust the machines for the coins of every single country. As a result, they unintentionally created commodity money. Even if the price of the tokens changed, they still represented one 8oz bottle of coke.

Monkt on November 04, 2008, 11:43:21 am
I'm a little behind on my reading (but not my writing)  ;)
I really expected Cokens to be related to cocaine before I read the fourth panel.
Cocaine coins are called "blowkens." As others have pointed out, not much of that on Ceres. Here's a news flash, Cokens were real at one time. In the 1950s, Coke and Pepsi created brass tokens the same size and weight as a US nickel. They were sold in small stories in Mexico, Brazil and other Latin American countries. Why? Because it was easier to mint the tokens and then send standard vending machines to those countries than to adjust the machines for the coins of every single country. As a result, they unintentionally created commodity money. Even if the price of the tokens changed, they still represented one 8oz bottle of coke.
Reminds me of vendies in Alongside Night.

Scott on November 09, 2008, 07:22:38 pm
Dick celebrated his 70th birthday recently. He seems to be mostly retired, and he sends out jokes and quotes regularly to his personal mailing list.

Rocketman on November 09, 2008, 08:57:43 pm
I sure wish that he had been our first black president.   :'(