jamesd on December 14, 2010, 01:35:05 pm
If you're against a wall and you can get them outside, you may be able to kick them to the opposite wall. And if they aren't alert enough at that point to hit well, you can launch yourself at them as hard as you can, flip over, and kick them hard when you hit the other wall -- enough to bounce back to your wall and maybe do it again.

Not going to work.  The kick your opponent sees coming will never land very effectually.  In one fight I was kicked about thirty times in the solar plexus - without noticeable effect.  For a while I just stood there, thinking how to counter attack.  Then I tried something, and he had pretty good counter.  So I stood there getting kicked a lot more, and tried something else, and he had a pretty good counter, then I stood there some more and got kicked some more, and jumped to grab his throat, and he had a pretty good counter, and he kicked me some more, then I just ran him out of space, so that he was forced to fight in my style, and that worked.  I suppose the fact that the fight went on for so long indicates gross incompetence by both parties.

J Thomas on December 14, 2010, 05:31:49 pm
If you're against a wall and you can get them outside, you may be able to kick them to the opposite wall. And if they aren't alert enough at that point to hit well, you can launch yourself at them as hard as you can, flip over, and kick them hard when you hit the other wall -- enough to bounce back to your wall and maybe do it again.

Not going to work.  The kick your opponent sees coming will never land very effectually.

Sure. You basicly have to win first and then you can kick them around if you want to.

In one fight I was kicked about thirty times in the solar plexus - without noticeable effect.  For a while I just stood there, thinking how to counter attack.  Then I tried something, and he had pretty good counter.  So I stood there getting kicked a lot more, and tried something else, and he had a pretty good counter, then I stood there some more and got kicked some more, and jumped to grab his throat, and he had a pretty good counter, and he kicked me some more, then I just ran him out of space, so that he was forced to fight in my style, and that worked.  I suppose the fact that the fight went on for so long indicates gross incompetence by both parties.

You had the luxury of stopping to think while he wasted his time kicking you. If he was up to doing something effective while you thought then waiting would be incompetent. But -- horses for courses. You could afford it that time.

Plane on December 14, 2010, 09:04:33 pm
Martial arts in low gravity , the potential for dazzling movies made in Hong Kong  appeals to me.

Moving fast and falling slow, launching off the celing as often as the floor  , being stranded at a disadvantage if in midair and stopped in momentum. Spinning to bring feet forward in catlike twisting maneuver. The unchonchous looser falling as gently as a dandilion seed unconchous a full minute before he contacts the floor.

Do the bars in low gravity build with high ceilings ?  I think that low ceilings would make a lot of diffrence in this sort of fight.

Navy divers can fight in three dimentions and without the "benefit" of weight and traction, but the resistance of water prevents that from being equivelient to the potential high speed fight that experts could engage in after becomeing accustomed to low G.

I wish I could get dibs on the movie rights , working out the physics and applying the realism possible in modern animation .

anything